Is there anything similar to WAR in the NHL that is used to evaluate players?

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
in baseball WAR (Wins Above Replacement) is used to determine a player's total contributions and value to a team in terms of wins. Mike Trout is the modern day God of War in baseball. Is there anything similar in the NHL that people can refer to say that player X has Y wins above what a normal minor league player would contribute if substituted for X?

I would imagine excellent 2 way players would top the list such as Bergeron, Crosby, Kopitar etc. but was wondering if there's anything that quantifies it? It would be interesting to see who the Mike Trout of the NHL is.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
WAR exists - here is Sean Tierney’s WAR model for the 2017-2018 season.

With that said, it is nowhere near as effective at judging the contributions of a player as WAR in baseball - this is partially due to how juvenile these metrics still are and partially due to the fact that hockey is simply not a sport in which contributions are as easily statistically evaluated as they are in baseball. No WAR model for hockey will ever be as effective as WAR models in baseball.

If you take a look at the list of players at the top of this chart, it gives you a decent idea of how flawed the metric is. It passes the “McDavid at #1” test, which is absolutely imperative for any metric that attempts to rank the overall contributions of any played in the 2016-2017 or 2017-2018 season. But then you look down a little further, Logan Couture at #4? I watched all of his season last year and I can promise you that he was nowhere near the 4th best player in the NHL last year.

Until this metric is improved upon

Last edited:

Fishboy*

Jun 29, 2017
Azerbaijan
WAR exists - here is Sean Tierney’s WAR model for the 2017-2018 season.

With that said, it is nowhere near as effective at judging the contributions of a player as WAR in baseball - this is partially due to how juvenile these metrics still are and partially due to the fact that hockey is simply not a sport in which contributions are as easily statistically evaluated as they are in baseball. No WAR model for hockey will ever be as effective as WAR models in baseball.

If you take a look at the list of players at the top of this chart, it gives you a decent idea of how flawed the metric is. It passes the “McDavid at #1” test, which is absolutely imperative for any metric that attempts to rank the overall contributions of any played in the 2016-2017 or 2017-2018 season. But then you look down a little further, Logan Couture at #4? I watched all of his season last year and I can promise you that he was nowhere near the 4th best player in the NHL last year.

Until this metric is improved upon

Lol for any metric to work McDavid has to be #1. Awful opinion.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Pastrnak was leading the league in Gar before Bergeron and Chara we're injured. Gar is basically offensive version of war or owar for baseball-reference.

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
Pastrnak was leading the league in Gar before Bergeron and Chara we're injured. Gar is basically offensive version of war or owar for baseball-reference.

And that's the think with hockey that can't be quantified is that there are dependent variables around you that influence the value. Having said that I would agree that sabermetrics in hockey is still in its relative infancy and will probably be improved upon as time goes on. Still wondering why MR is so far down the list.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
And that's the think with hockey that can't be quantified is that there are dependent variables around you that influence the value. Having said that I would agree that sabermetrics in hockey is still in its relative infancy and will probably be improved upon as time goes on. Still wondering why MR is so far down the list.
I like that hockey war stat rates performance and players helping the team or not helping the team. Like how good are the players when they're not scoring points, or if they are scoring points are they helping the team when they're not type of thing.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Wow Mikko Rantanen is waaaay down the list. What gives? I wonder if the NHL uses WAR as part of contract discussions. Thanks for the link.

Remember, those are numbers for 2017-2018. I would assume Rantanen is higher this season and I would assume that the reason his WAR was poor last season is that Colorado’s shot and chance shares were awful at 5V5 last year and Mikko Rantanen played a big role for them.

Here is some stuff from this season:

For the forwards, I don’t see any names for Colorado but I would guess that those 3 blue blips are 3 of Landeskog, MacKinnon, and Rantanen in any order.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->