Is there anyone who is a vegan here?

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
Just curious. In July I tipped the scales at 243 pounds (I am 6 foot 2) and I decided to change my diet and work out routine, I started August 1st with my plan and I am now at 237 pounds.

I am looking for Cheap, healthy vegan menus or recipes to make with my new diet.

So far I am enjoying it. I used it eat a lot of meat and thought going vegan would limit my options--but turns out there is a lot choice out there, maybe too many

Reactions: Neutrinos

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Have been vegan for 3 years now, and got serious into fitness this year. In the best shape of my life (muscle to body fat ratio) at the moment.

Very easy for high protein/low calorie diet

Reactions: Dingo

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Have been vegan for 3 years now, and got serious into fitness this year. In the best shape of my life (muscle to body fat ratio) at the moment.

Very easy for high protein/low calorie diet
I am looking to get into vegan but I want to GAIN muscle at the same time. What can I eat to replace the meats?
I've been looking for a healthy lean muscle vegan diet for building muscle.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I am looking to get into vegan but I want to GAIN muscle at the same time. What can I eat to replace the meats?
I've been looking for a healthy lean muscle vegan diet for building muscle.

I eat a lot of the same meals, so here is what I'd choose from for the day

Scrambled tofu (35g protein/serve)
turmeric, paprika, cracked pepper, nutritional yeast (high in protein), almond milk mixed together and added to fried up crumbled tofu, sliced mushrooms and chopped red capsicum (or bell peppers as you'd call them)

Burrito bowl (35g/serve)
Black beans/TVP, chopped capsicum and tomato, salsa, avocado, rice (I use cauliflower rice myself), nutritional yeast liberally sprinkled over it

Smoothie
Don't really need to describe it as you can put pretty much it whatever you want in it, with protein powder

Red lentil dhal
Check for recipe online, but super easy to make and lentils have over 20g protein per 100g

Snacks include

peanut butter on toast (15g protein) with sliced banana on top (I use powdered PB and rice cakes myself)

Salad with fake chicken (15g protein)
There's a brand here in Australia that make plain chicken fillets that are made out of a seaweed and 10g of protein per). I add hemp seeds (could also add over types of seeds as they're all good for protein)

I also have a muesli (granola?) bar with 10g protein as they're pretty easy to find in the supermarket

And I'll usually have a protein shake before bed.

It's also easy to find mock meat burgers that are 20-25g protein, hotdogs with 8-10+g, ect

Ive been sticking to a low-calorie diet for about 5 months after learning you don't have to be at a calorie surplus to gain muscle, and have had tremendous results.

I also capped my meals at around 35g protein as I learned that the body can't really process any more than that in a meal anyways, but if you want to add more protein to those meals you can just have bigger serves.

From a health point of view, try to incorporate nutritional yeast in at least one of your meals a day for B12, and hemp/chia seeds (great in smoothies) for Omegas.

TVP is a great, cheap high-protein alternative from mince, so you can use it for all sorts of dishes. I made up a big chilli con carne this week. And if you don't want to use protein powder, I discovered that adding tofu in my smoothie actually tastes good as it makes the smoothie creamier.

You'll also find a decent amount of protein in breads if you look at the labels. I found a 'keto' type bread of 23g protein per 2 slices. Turkish break is pretty high too.

One last thing is just have a good look at products in your supermarkets. As an example I found a cashew yogurt that has 10g protein per serve.

Last edited:

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I eat a lot of the same meals, so here is what I'd choose from for the day

Scrambled tofu (35g protein/serve)
turmeric, paprika, cracked pepper, nutritional yeast (high in protein), almond milk mixed together and added to fried up crumbled tofu, sliced mushrooms and chopped red capsicum (or bell peppers as you'd call them)

Burrito bowl (35g/serve)
Black beans/TVP, chopped capsicum and tomato, salsa, avocado, rice (I use cauliflower rice myself), nutritional yeast liberally sprinkled over it

Smoothie
Don't really need to describe it as you can put pretty much it whatever you want in it, with protein powder

Red lentil dhal
Check for recipe online, but super easy to make and lentils have over 20g protein per 100g

Snacks include

peanut butter on toast (15g protein) with sliced banana on top (I use powdered PB and rice cakes myself)

Salad with fake chicken (15g protein)
There's a brand here in Australia that make plain chicken fillets that are made out of a seaweed and 10g of protein per). I add hemp seeds (could also add over types of seeds as they're all good for protein)

I also have a muesli (granola?) bar with 10g protein as they're pretty easy to find in the supermarket

And I'll usually have a protein shake before bed.

It's also easy to find mock meat burgers that are 20-25g protein, hotdogs with 8-10+g, ect

Ive been sticking to a low-calorie diet for about 5 months after learning you don't have to be at a calorie surplus to gain muscle, and have had tremendous results.

I also capped my meals at around 35g protein as I learned that the body can't really process any more than that in a meal anyways, but if you want to add more protein to those meals you can just have bigger serves.

From a health point of view, try to incorporate nutritional yeast in at least one of your meals a day for B12, and hemp/chia seeds (great in smoothies) for Omegas.

TVP is a great, cheap high-protein alternative from mince, so you can use it for all sorts of dishes. I made up a big chilli con carne this week. And if you don't want to use protein powder, I discovered that adding tofu in my smoothie actually tastes good as it makes the smoothie creamier.

You'll also find a decent amount of protein in breads if you look at the labels. I found a 'keto' type bread of 23g protein per 2 slices. Turkish break is pretty high too.

One last thing is just have a good look at products in your supermarkets. As an example I found a cashew yogurt that has 10g protein per serve.
Thank you for this. Do you think I can knock all this out one a single costco trip?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

That would be the gluten. While 'gluten free' has become a health fad it's actually a very good source of protein that can be bought on it's own at Asian grocery stores or probably health stores and used in cooking. Kind of similar to tofu but probably tastier.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
That would be the gluten. While 'gluten free' has become a health fad it's actually a very good source of protein that can be bought on it's own at Asian grocery stores or probably health stores and used in cooking. Kind of similar to tofu but probably tastier.

Correct, Hail Seitan!

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I experimented with an almost vegan diet for a year or so and vegetarianism (perhaps more of a lacto-ovo or pescatarian diet) for a longer period. It seemed to work well for weight loss when combined with a regular cardio routine.

The vegan diet did seem to have a large effect on my blood lipid profile, particularly lowering LDL levels and triglycerides. I found that I tended to overeat with carbs at times and my fasting blood sugar levels hovered around a prediabetic range (100-105), but did not seem to rise above.

The key with any vegan/vegetarian diet in my mind will be to eat clean, as it is easy to fall into a trap of eating more of processed, pre-packaged foods that contain a lot of additives.

Tofu was mentioned above, but I actually prefer Tempeh, which is a low-cost less processed version of tofu (not exactly the same). You get more probiotic benefits with Tempeh.

You can also experiment with protein shakes if you are trying to maintain/gain muscle mass. Pea protein and hemp protein powders with some form of nut or seed milk can work well.

Reactions: Dingo

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
I experimented with an almost vegan diet for a year or so and vegetarianism (perhaps more of a lacto-ovo or pescatarian diet) for a longer period. It seemed to work well for weight loss when combined with a regular cardio routine.

The vegan diet did seem to have a large effect on my blood lipid profile, particularly lowering LDL levels and triglycerides. I found that I tended to overeat with carbs at times and my fasting blood sugar levels hovered around a prediabetic range (100-105), but did not seem to rise above.

The key with any vegan/vegetarian diet in my mind will be to eat clean, as it is easy to fall into a trap of eating more of processed, pre-packaged foods that contain a lot of additives.

Tofu was mentioned above, but I actually prefer Tempeh, which is a low-cost less processed version of tofu (not exactly the same). You get more probiotic benefits with Tempeh.

You can also experiment with protein shakes if you are trying to maintain/gain muscle mass. Pea protein and hemp protein powders with some form of nut or seed milk can work well.

And depending on the flavour you can throw in different fruits and/or peanut butter and/or whatever else so it doesn't get boring :banana:

perrypitts29096

Dec 3, 2021
Sometimes I go on a diet and that's why I don't eat meat. Although I cannot eat meat for a long time. Steak is always better than broccoli. lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad