Is there anyone from the Pavel Bure mold?

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
Hall from 2010 reminds me a bit of Bure.

Yakupov in 2012 (though you didn't ask about next year) reminds me a lot of Bure.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Not from this class, but Grabner looks like Bure at times. MAYBE Kreider, if only for speed.

Other than that, not many have THAT kind of speed, especially from the last 2 drafts. Hall and Yakupov are as close as it gets.

jgthibault

Dec 14, 2010
Not from this class, but Grabner looks like Bure at times.

I didn't think of Grabner but they have the same quality. Good shot, good hand and extreme speed. Both love to stay back to receive a pass and get breakaway. But Gabner is notch (or more) down and he's not has good has Bure too make play at high speed.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I didn't think of Grabner but they have the same quality. Good shot, good hand and extreme speed. Both love to stay back to receive a pass and get breakaway. But Gabner is notch (or more) down and he's not has good has Bure too make play at high speed.

You know Grabner is a rookie right? Lets wait a while before saying where he compares to Bure.

jgthibault

Dec 14, 2010
You know Grabner is a rookie right? Lets wait a while before saying where he compares to Bure.

I didn't compare the talent of Grabner and Bure saying Grabner will be a 50 goals scorer. Just that there quality and default are ressembling.

It's important too make diffrence when someone say's

Player A is player B

and

Player A is a poor man player B

For me, "poor man" signify same type of player but some notch down. I qualify myself as a poor man Gorges (same quality, same flaws but at a (way) different level :P)

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Grabner is not Bure by any stretch of the imagination, and as far as I can tell, there was no player with his relative skill set that has been drafted since him and none that are upcoming.

Bure's tremendous speed and great shot were great assets, and there are players that are comparable there. What Bure had that no others have been able to match yet is his ability to deke with the puck while moving at full speed. Bure would burn goalies on break aways because he'd come in so damn fast and could perform any of his moves at full speed. It was truely amazing to see a player who could do that. Obviously Bure had other tools in his arsenal that made him dangerous, but that was his most unique attribute.

Grabner doesn't have that. Grabner has good offensive instincts in the sense that he knows where to go. He also has speed, and a good shot. You could call him Bure minus the hands I suppose, but in my eyes, that just isnt Bure.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Hall from 2010 reminds me a bit of Bure.

Yakupov in 2012 (though you didn't ask about next year) reminds me a lot of Bure.

Yakupov was my first thought as well, though he is more of a playmaker. He may be the most explosive player in the CHL right now. He's a great skater, can dangle at top speed with ease, real shifty. Makes some great end to end rushes. Brutal in his own end. A bit on the small size. Really exciting prospect.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
Grabner is not Bure by any stretch of the imagination, and as far as I can tell, there was no player with his relative skill set that has been drafted since him and none that are upcoming.
Afinogenov reminded me of Bure a bit in terms of his skating style and explosive first step. He didn't have the handles of Bure nor the scoring instincts of shot, but there were times when he resembled Bure when he got up to speed and rushed through the neutral zone.

Oops - just saw you were looking for recently drafted players.

Last edited:

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
Yakupov was my first thought as well, though he is more of a playmaker.

do you mean he is more of a playermaker than a goal scorer?

he currently has 39 goals and 39 assists. 3rd most goals in the OHL, I think.

or do you mean he is more of a playmaker than Bure's was?

I can agree with that because in his career Bure traditionally always had more goals than assists each year.

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009

Are you guys serious?! :) Michael Grabner is not Pavel Bure. And he never will be. By a margin too wide to fit within the bandwidth of the internet.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
do you mean he is more of a playermaker than a goal scorer?

he currently has 39 goals and 39 assists. 3rd most goals in the OHL, I think.

or do you mean he is more of a playmaker than Bure's was?

I can agree with that because in his career Bure traditionally always had more goals than assists each year.

You can be a playmaker and a goalscorer. Crosby has traditionally been a playmaker throughout his career, but he was always good for ~40 goals.

Yakupov is an offensive dynamo, but coming into the O he was always seen as a player who was primarily a playmaker but one that could put the puck in the net on his own without issue. Bure was very much a pure sniper, Yakupov's offense is a bit more rounded.

cjdv16

Nov 22, 2005
The Swamp
Not from this class, but Grabner looks like Bure at times. MAYBE Kreider, if only for speed.

Other than that, not many have THAT kind of speed, especially from the last 2 drafts. Hall and Yakupov are as close as it gets.

Was going to say Grabner as well (not from a homer's perspective).

Pavel had faster hands and was more of a powerful skater.

Grabner is quicker and has faster acceleration.

I hesitate to discuss shot because Grabner, more and more, is showing that he's got a lethal wrist shot.

If Grabner continues to develop and gain confidence, he can easily be of the Bure-mold.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm

I hesitate to discuss shot because Grabner, more and more, is showing that he's got a lethal wrist shot.

If Grabner continues to develop and gain confidence, he can easily be of the Bure-mold.
I don't see many similarities between Graber and Bure besides blinding speed.

I'm also not really sure if Graber has faster acceleration than Bure. Certainly not with the puck at least. I don't think he has the edge control or the lateral movement with the puck Bure has as well. Not the shot either. Graber has a good wrist shot, but Bure has an extremely quick release that he could use at full speed that I haven't seen from Grabner.

What Grabner does have over Bure is that I think he is a smoother more effortless skater. Probably has a bit higher end speed as well. Though skating through traffic with the puck it is no contest that Bure has a clear advantage in this regards.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Grabner isn't even a poor-man's Bure. :laugh:

I'm assuming a lot of fans drawing this comparison were very young or not hockey fans when Bure was in his prime. A case might be made for Stamkos, but he still has a way to go. However, comparing him to Grabner is beyond laughable.

Here's to jog everyone's memory of just how sick Bure's offensive skills were, despite playing in an era where clutch-and-grab was taking over...

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Yakupov was my first thought as well, though he is more of a playmaker. He may be the most explosive player in the CHL right now. He's a great skater, can dangle at top speed with ease, real shifty. Makes some great end to end rushes. Brutal in his own end. A bit on the small size. Really exciting prospect.

I've only seen him twice, but he seemed like a goal scorer and not a playmaker during those viewings. Can anyone comment who has seen more of Yakupov?

I mean the kid is on pace for 50 goals and 100 points in the year prior to his draft year, so he can obviously fill the net. Seems like the kid can really do it all offensively.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
The closest player to Bure in the 2010 or 2011 drafts is probably Taylor Hall, explosive goalscoring winger with great speed, great hands, great finish, but questionable d. Hall has less speed, is not as natural a goal scorer as Bure, and has more size/power, but still, he'd be the closest IMO.

As for Grabner, the OP asks for guys drafted in 2010 or 2011, Grabner was drafted in 2006. Also, the only place they look similar is on the breakaway, Bure was on a completely different level in more set-up offenses, dangling was a big part of Bure's game and Grabner really doesn't dangle, he's much more of a straight line player.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I've only seen him twice, but he seemed like a goal scorer and not a playmaker during those viewings. Can anyone comment who has seen more of Yakupov?

I mean the kid is on pace for 50 goals and 100 points in the year prior to his draft year, so he can obviously fill the net. Seems like the kid can really do it all offensively.

I think his situation is somewhat similar to Crosby* in that there isn't really much else on his team, so he's reworked his game because he has to carry the majority of the offensive load. He's equally good at passing and shooting, but he was more known to be a pass first kind of guy. Let's face it though, Sarnia is a pretty brutal team and while there is one other player with 70 points (Kale Kerbashian), he's in his fifth year and was never really much of a factor throughout his OHL career

*I am in no way suggesting Yakupov is comparable to Crosby, I'm merely comparing their situations

senatoilers*

You know Bure had two 60 goal seasons under his belt by the time he was Grabner's current age right? Lets not even compare the two.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site

Yakubov might be talented but there is always the "CHL curse" involved. Yakubov should have stayed in Russia and follow the path of Malkin, Ovechkin and Kuznetsov.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver

Hahah noooooooo way Grabner has faster acceleration than Bure. Have you even SEEN Bure play? He was completely dominant, he would burn defenders when you thought there was no chance he could get by them.

Watch the video above though. That reminds people that Bure was FAR more than just a guy who could beat you with speed, his hands were amazing. He could undress guys in close, and at full speed.

A truely dominant player, I'm shocked he isn't yet in the HHOF.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
ok is this a joke? Grabner in every second poll...grabner this grabner that and now comparisons to pavel bure? anyone who thinks grabner is better than bure at anything has either never watched bure play or is borderline handicapped. a nomadic mongol who has never watched a game of hockey in his life would know who the better player is within seconds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad