Is there any RTS games anymore?

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
I miss legit RTS games. It's sad that they've pretty much died. I've thought about SC2, but have no desire to jump into a game that's been out for so long from an MP perspective.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I miss legit RTS games. It's sad that they've pretty much died. I've thought about SC2, but have no desire to jump into a game that's been out for so long from an MP perspective.

The multi-player meta in SC2 has been completely thrown on its head a few times by expansion or balance changes. While the mechanics have stayed the same, players had to completely reinvent builds and strategies when the latest expansion came out several months ago. Not only were new units introduced, but they changed the amount of starting workers and the amount of resources per base in order to make players expand more often.

In other words, it's much more like jumping into a six month old RTS than a six year old RTS, in terms of how built up the meta is.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Classic RTS fames are dead. Their to linear and lined with clicking until your mouse screams for mercy.

Games like Wargame, Men of War are the games of the future for the genre. Both are dynamic and based on skill and tactics opposed to the rock, paper, scissors system in games like SC and WC and home world

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
StarCraft has far more skill and tactics than either of those games. Positioning and micromanagement is massive in that franchise.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Regardless of their relative merits in terms of tactics, I wouldn't call either of them RTS. Especially not Men of War. Wargame has some RTS elements but its way more skewed toward RTT.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Have you played any of the games in the Wargame or MoW series?

I've played some Men of War: Assault Squad 2. It was decently fun, but it reminded me a lot of Dawn of War (just not as good).

Regardless of the games' quality, it's definitely a lot less skillful or tactically inclined than SC or SC2. The speed of SC2 is just so much faster than virtually every other RTS, that it raises the skill cap massively. Tactically, it doesn't rely on things like squad or cover mechanics, but rather the player actually positioning their units to gain an advantage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad