Is there a way of telling whether you're really flexing your stick?

canuck44

Feb 24, 2010
Well if you have a slow mo camera at your disposal, then I suppose that's easy enough. I'm pretty sure I can tell when I'm shooting whether I'm flexing the shaft or not, but obviously this is hardly an accurate measurement of how much. I've seen some bigger guys load up their sticks but this is a lot easier to see since their sticks are much longer (I'm talking guys 6'2, 6'3+).

Some of you may be wondering why I want to see how much I flex my stick when shooting, and the answer: just for S&G. :D ... and I guess whether I'm using the right flex or not

doobie604

Jan 19, 2007
i don't think you need a slowmo camera, make a video of you shooting and view it frame by frame with an editing program.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
i don't think you need a slowmo camera, make a video of you shooting and view it frame by frame with an editing program.

I actually plan on doing this over the weekend with a couple sticks to see what they look like. one stick I want to make sure is not flexing too much (75flex, I'm 6'2" and 185)

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I took a cheap flip cam and shot video of me shooting. Went through frame by frame to see how much I was flexing.

I normally use a 65 flex, but here's me with an 85 flex One95. It's several inches longer than I normally play with and they tend to be a bit whippier than normal so I probably flex the stick a little more with my regular stick (I want to find something just a bit stiffer).

Slapper:

Screenshot2010-07-09at61243PM.png

Wrister:

Screenshot2010-07-09at61513PM.png

At the end of the day, I go by feel. I want the stick to feel like it's loading up on wrist/snappers but if it feels like it's about to break on slappers or I lose control of the accuracy, it needs to be stiffer.

Dump and Chase

Hand of God
May 6, 2010
At the end of the day, I go by feel. I want the stick to feel like it's loading up on wrist/snappers but if it feels like it's about to break on slappers or I lose control of the accuracy, it needs to be stiffer.

This.

You don't need a picture or video to show you that you are loading your stick

jablueblue

Jul 22, 2009
Yeah if it feels like it's flexing the right amount.. It is.
Depends on the stick too, loved the whip I had with my S19 100 flex, broke that and got a Uplus pro with 85 flex but I don't have near the same whip, and it feels off.

canuck44

Feb 24, 2010
This.

You don't need a picture or video to show you that you are loading your stick

I can feel I'm flexing my stick (especially since moving to INTs), but I was just curious as to how much since on some shots the stick feels almost too whippy.

And someone mentioned "flexing the right amount", that's what I'm looking for. I can feel more or less flex when I'm shooting, but I have no idea what the "right amount" is.

doobie604

Jan 19, 2007
the right amount is the stiffest stick you can use and still flex it few inches when shooting.

blueberrydanish

May 5, 2009
I can feel I'm flexing my stick (especially since moving to INTs), but I was just curious as to how much since on some shots the stick feels almost too whippy.

And someone mentioned "flexing the right amount", that's what I'm looking for. I can feel more or less flex when I'm shooting, but I have no idea what the "right amount" is.

When you feel like you can't control your shot enough or the stick almost goes "limp" in a sense thats when Id think its too whippy of a stick. Too me the best feel for when I get a shot off is when you can really feel the stick snap after it releases back to its shape. Whippier sticks feel like they just give too much, or even going to load a pass you can feel it give too much.

Last edited:

Ron Barr

Doing it to Death
Dec 23, 2009
bdddddddet
I can tell when I flex my stick whenever I take slap shots, without looking at it on video. You can sort of feel the stick bend in your hands as you release your shot. However, it's much harder to tell with a wrister. I don't worry too much about flexing the stick though. I'm 5'10", 165 pounds and not very strong, so I normally don't try to use a booming shot to score goals anyway :laugh:.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Funny thing is in warmups I always have a better shot with a stiffer stick but in the game I'm better with the whippy one since it takes less time/effort to load and I'm usually not in a perfect shooting position with lots of time.

canuck44

Feb 24, 2010
I can tell when I flex my stick whenever I take slap shots, without looking at it on video. You can sort of feel the stick bend in your hands as you release your shot. However, it's much harder to tell with a wrister. I don't worry too much about flexing the stick though. I'm 5'10", 165 pounds and not very strong, so I normally don't try to use a booming shot to score goals anyway :laugh:.

I can definitely feel the stick flexing when I load up for a snapper (I've been told I have a really good shot for my size). I'm 5'8, 145 lbs so you're strong than I am lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad