Is there a point where Don Cherry could impact the business of hockey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
7 years ago Bob Costas went on a rant about gun control on SNF - Comcast/NBC dropped him from NFL coverage and altogether after the 2014 Olympics

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Here is a clip from 1987 when Cherry said 'you people' under completely different circumstances - he almost got fired then

This is the way he has always talked

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
7 years ago Bob Costas went on a rant about gun control on SNF - Comcast/NBC dropped him from NFL coverage and altogether after the 2014 Olympics

Before that there was Howard Cosell and his using the term “monkey”. In the 70’s it didn’t draw much attention (he first used it on Mike Adamle, a white RB for the KC Chiefs, but in the 80’s when he used it in reference to a couple of black players it started a backlash that eventually got him pushed off the air.

Reactions: Fenway

HugoSimon

Jan 25, 2013
Why single out immigrants specifically when not only do many natrual-born citizens not wear them but many immigrants also DO wear them?
Because they are unaware they should and are emulating the behavior of ungrateful spoiled Canadians.

It is like when some 85 year old senile old f**k screams "hobos are sticking up this place". It is a fact and an issue. Hygiene issues are a real issue for homeless people and it causes a myriad of problems including disease. Regardless of whether or not the way he said it was right the topic is relevant.

Wearing a poppy is a cultural traditional that should be maintained, just as we should remember our history racism, native genocide, et etc and I honestly don't think its immigrants objecting to that sentiment but those folk who are turning their backs on tradition.

I think its absurd that people are debating whether or not Don Cherry is "rude". The real question is did you wear a poppy today?

KingArthursCourt

pronouns: he/him/his
Nov 11, 2019
British Columbia
Because they are unaware they should and are emulating the behavior of ungrateful spoiled Canadians.

It is like when some 85 year old senile old f**k screams "hobos are sticking up this place". It is a fact and an issue. Hygiene issues are a real issue for homeless people and it causes a myriad of problems including disease. Regardless of whether or not the way he said it was right the topic is relevant.

Wearing a poppy is a cultural traditional that should be maintained, just as we should remember our history racism, native genocide, et etc and I honestly don't think its immigrants objecting to that sentiment but those folk who are turning their backs on tradition.

I think its absurd that people are debating whether or not Don Cherry is "rude". The real question is did you wear a poppy today?

I didn't wear one, and I'm certainly not going to be brow-beaten into it by a worthless piece of ignorant, bigoted trash like Don Cherry. He's nothing but a loud-mouthed TV tough guy, but if he tried to do that schtick in person I'd spit in his face.

HugoSimon

Jan 25, 2013
Only in 2019's culture of outrage and uber political correctness is this a "controversy". Context means nothing.

It's an 85-year-old man who implied that immigrants should buy and wear poppies more than they do today as part of a larger rant about Remembrance Day, which he is very passionate about

I have never put any thought about it up until now, but if I had to guess he's probably not wrong about immigrants wearing poppies less than white Canadians. A lack of understanding in cultural nuances would explain this. It's a reasonable observation. I fail to see how this in an of itself is racist. He didn't say "Immigrants don't wear poppies and they are pieces of **** and not Canadian for doing so and I hate them..."

Not a Cherry fan either, by the way.
Reminds me of being on the subway the other day and being told to take off my backpack(it was crowded).

I had no idea(I don't live in Toronto), and was grateful someone told me what I should of been doing when I was obliviously from out of town.

A good person tells you what you should be doing, a bad person will say nothing because they can't be bothered to get their hands dirty.

The verterans issue is a big big thing in Canada at the moment.

The WW2 generation is dying out and it is so exceptionally common to downplay military efforts that weren't directly focused on killing Hitler.

2 of my 6 coworkers are veternans who went through severe hell on Canadian "peacekeeping" missions. Their issues is something I think about virtually every shift I work and yet it didn't even occur to me that I should of bought a poppy today(I didn't).

EDIT: Unironically I tried to get them tickets to tonights OHL/Russian Junior game, I only realized after I asked that they take Nov 11th way way more seriously than I do.

Last edited:
Reactions: GuelphStormer

HugoSimon

Jan 25, 2013
Most racist language isn't overt. Most often it's racist by implication. Or put another way, it might not be semantically racist, but can reflect a racist point-of-view. The implication of what Cherry said was racist. The words reflect a racist point-of-view. If it wasn't meant that way, once he understood that this is what his words represented, Cherry should've explained himself, even if he didn't apologize. The fact that he didn't can be taken as evidence that how people have taken it is how he meant it.

I don't believe in giving people a pass on saying things like this just because they're old and from a different generation. I understand that people are fine with doing so, and I get it. I just disagree.
No it would of been racist if he implied in some way that it has something to do with skin color. Cherry has had an open season on white folk for his entire career. The idea that he juiced up his rhetoric because not all immigrants are white is a total joke. He a guy that enjoys telling "insert group/province/state/city/team here" what to do. This is his thing.

Do you think for a second he'd pull back if this was a trend predominate among "Americans" or "Albertans" etc? Do you honestly believe this?

HugoSimon

Jan 25, 2013
I didn't wear one, and I'm certainly not going to be brow-beaten into it by a worthless piece of ignorant, bigoted trash like Don Cherry. He's nothing but a loud-mouthed TV tough guy, but if he tried to do that schtick in person I'd spit in his face.

But he does buy and wear the poppy you do not.

If a bad person holds the door for a person with crutches do you refuse to hold the door on the basis you were told to by a bad person?

Your logic doesn't work. Cherrys an idiot who tried to make a worthwhile point.

The veterans issue in Canada is embarrassing for a country who are allegedly obsessed with having concern for minorities, refugees, the mentally ill, poor and sick.

Wearing a poppy doesn't require you to take out a second mortgage on your home it is a minimal effort activity that does a whole lot for society.

There is a real concerning trend in internet culture where not doing a bad thing has 10 times the moral equivalence of doing a good thing.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017

I call complete bullshit on this.

You'd have to be a complete psychotic asshole to spit in someone's face like that in public.

Not a chance you would do that. Typical internet tough guy bullshit.

KingArthursCourt

pronouns: he/him/his
Nov 11, 2019
British Columbia
I call complete bull**** on this.

You'd have to be a complete psychotic ******* to spit in someone's face like that in public.

Not a chance you would do that. Typical internet tough guy bull****.

I'd do it to a jackass like Cherry who's constantly trying to browbeat and bully others from his little safe space behind a camera. He's a TV tough guy who doesn't have the guts to run his ignorant mouth in public at actual people.

Reactions: 4Orr

HugoSimon

Jan 25, 2013
Buying a poppy has ALWAYS been a thing with Cherry

No offense to him but it is so frustrating seeing "rememberance" day being so focused on "remembering the past", you meet and work with veterans every single day. You don't need to remember you need to "observe". Most people are just so oblivious to what veterans have gone through. I work with two guys who were both crippled by their service as peace keepers. I'm not evening talking about all the kids coming back from the "actual" war in Afghanistan.

EDIT: Again why are we talking about Cherry when there is a real epidemic of ignorance.

I'm a huge history buff, pro military etc, and I was completely ignorant of a lot of the things going on in this country. It is a borderline crisis where the needs of Veternans are completely ignored. They've served and really need our help.

Reactions: DaveG and NCRanger

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
I'd do it to a jackass like Cherry who's constantly trying to browbeat and bully others from his little safe space behind a camera. He's a TV tough guy who doesn't have the guts to run his ignorant mouth in public at actual people.

:laugh:

No, you wouldn't. Full stop.

Ignoring for the moment that in your mind it is OK to assault (yes, spitting is assault) people who present no threat to your personal safety, you still would never actually go through with it.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
:laugh:

No, you wouldn't. Full stop.

Ignoring for the moment that in your mind it is OK to assault (yes, spitting is assault) people who present no threat to your personal safety, you still would never actually go through with it.

Correct, as he's Canadian.

(He'd throw a Timmy's Iced Capp Supreme)

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Don Cherry is 85 years old which means as a child he knew WWII and came of age during Korea.

In 2004 he was LIVID when Montreal fans booed the US Anthem in Montreal and this happened

Which has what to do with Don Cherry’s comments last Saturday? What does the above have to do with Cherry’s controversial comments and his firing?

He was like 5 years old when the war started for Canada and 12 when it ended. The only thing he knew back then was the Three R’s, hall passes and possibly lolipops. This is an insult to my father and other veterans that actually fought in WW2. Cherry knows the war about much as I do, which is in history book.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Which has what to do with Don Cherry’s comments last Saturday? What does the above have to do with Cherry’s controversial comments and his firing?

He was like 5 years old when the war started for Canada and 12 when it ended. The only thing he knew back then was the Three R’s, hall passes and possibly lolipops. This is an insult to my father and other veterans that actually fought in WW2. Cherry knows the war about much as I do, which is in history book.

and do younger Canadians understand the significance of the poppy?

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
and do younger Canadians understand the significance of the poppy?

What? This has nothing to do with my comment above.

I never said he didn’t understand the significance of the poppy. I took issue with your random misplaced post about our National Anthem controversy from 2004 in a game vs Montreal. And/also the attempt to mischaracterize that Cherry has some sort of profound tie to WW2. That is insulting to vets and my father that actually fought and saw combat in the WW2 while Cherry was licking lollipops, VERY safely back in Canada.

edit: I wrote “2011 booing” but it was actually footage of “2004 booing”.

Last edited:

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Didn't he already impact it?
SN gets the numbers to his segments and shows them to Labatt's or whoever else
wants to get in.

Labatt's now doesn't have that same cash cow, its up to SN to continue Labatt's ROI.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
What? This has nothing to do with my comment above.

I never said he didn’t understand the significance of the poppy. I took issue with your random misplaced post about our National Anthem controversy from 2004 in a game vs Montreal. And/also the attempt to mischaracterize that Cherry has some sort of profound tie to WW2. That is insulting to vets and my father that actually fought and saw combat in the WW2 while Cherry was licking lollipops, VERY safely back in Canada.

edit: I wrote “2011 booing” but it was actually footage of “2004 booing”.

I said he grew up as a child during WWII and came of age in Korea.

He grew up in Kingston which is roughly halfway between Montreal and Toronto and has a strong history with the Canadian military. Keep in mind that back during WWII and WWI many Canadians were drafted into the armed services but not residents of Quebec.

To be clear many from Quebec volunteered for armed forces duty but there was resentment in much of anglo Canada at the time.

What I didn't know about Cherry was he was reasonably fluent in French and that came out in 2015 when he did a live interview with TVAS from the SCF in Chicago.

Don grew up in this Canada - things have changed

Reactions: NCRanger

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
BTW the theme music from Coach's Corner came from NFL Films

With Coach’s Corner silenced, a look back at how Don Cherry changed how we watched hockey forever

Hard to believe Don Cherry has taken his final bow on that Coach’s Corner opening montage, that his pit bull Blue will bark no more and that Grapes himself is silenced from shouting down Ron MacLean and groaning at his closing pun.

“I don’t know what that piece of music is actually called,” said former Hockey Night in Canada producer John Shannon of the intro clip played 100 times every hockey season. “It’s just become known as the Coach’s Corner theme. (Producer) Ron Harrison deserves the credit for putting that while thing together.”

Since the mid-1980s, it heralded an often-raucous five-minute segment of straight man MacLean getting Cherry’s spin on top hockey stories and Cherry zeroing in on a pet peeve or favourite player.

Cherry often crossed the line of conventional intermission shows and MacLean usually reeled him back in time.

The show was not likely long for the TV world as Cherry approached his 86th birthday and both he and MacLean dodged censors and budget cuts a few times. But Cherry’s firing on Monday and the end of a theatrical hockey era was a shocker. Speculation on replacements, such as Brian Burke, will be rampant in coming weeks, but if Sportsnet stays with a similar format, Cherry is one tough act to follow.

Reactions: kaiser matias

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Wow, I'm glad I hate this old prick. If a person doesn't wear something, that doesn't mean they're being ungrateful. Maybe they aren't aware of the traditions. Being a raging racist about it only encourages people to not follow along and continue the tradition.

Honestly, I didn't even know about poppies being used as pins until Cherry gave the tired heel wrestling rant.
You live here?How long? And you weren't even aware of poppies or their significance? That is disgraceful...truly!

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Then he could have easily said “everyone”, or “all Canadians” but no, he used a phrase often used today to describe a specific group.

He made a stupidly bad choice of words that left himself open to multiple contextual interpretations.

40 years ago he might have gotten away with it. Not today. As a professional he should have known that and acted accordingly
What specific group would that be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad