Is there a goal/play that sticks out the most for you?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Mario has scored goals in many ways well before this generation of trend setters.

There's also the impossible goal where Mario had nothing to shoot at but a sliver between the goalies shoulder pad and cross bar. Guess where it went?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't know why that score says 2-2 in this video. It was 0-0 when Stall scored to make it 1-0 us. Was just huge to get us on the scoreboard first and play with lead.

Nah. You’re confused.

Game 4 Detroit got a late 1st period goal. Then scored immediately to start the 2nd and got the PP after a bunch of near goals. Then Staal got the SHer,

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
That moment in time when Staal scores the SHG is crucial. It felt like the same shit was going to happen with the Pens being down 3-1 and no hope. Staal scores and everything from there felt different. Even that hilarious Game 5. Ironically on the same night Coldplay played in Pittsburgh.

ChrisKuuuunitz

4 time champ
Jan 14, 2015
there
ah ok, I see now. I am totally confused lol. Stall scored in both game 4 and 6. Both were huge goals.

either way, glad he scored them

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Neither of these are a goal KIRK.

Simple question really: in your years watching the Pens, is there a singular goal, moment or play that strikes a chord the most?

The moments were the win in Ottawa in November 2007 and the first game in Montreal after Crosby out with the high ankle sprain.

Goals? Always been partial to the Shades of Mario goal . . .

EDIT: The other goal . . . two goals . . . were the Sid and Geno back to back goals to close the first period of game 3 of the 2009 ECF and the Joe Corvo interview that followed it. I've never actually seen a player broken like that, and haven't since with the exception of what the Sullivan Pens did to Hank.

Reactions: YYCLetangStan

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The moments were the win in Ottawa in November 2007 and the first game in Montreal after Crosby out with the high ankle sprain.

EDIT: The other goal . . . two goals . . . were the Sid and Geno back to back goals to close the first period of game 3 of the 2009 ECF and the Joe Corvo interview that followed it. I've never actually seen a player broken like that, and haven't since with the exception of what the Sullivan Pens did to Hank.

Best Malkin moment is the reverse hit on Ovechkin.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
That was a beauty. That Caps homer called it as Malkin being drilled by Ovechkin when Ovechkin went flying.

What a better time. Ovie and Malkin going to Russian night clubs and Ovie breaking Malkin's agent's jaw.

I was in a poll on the mainboard about Couts vs. Richards and reminiscing about the Richards vs. Crosby rivalry too. (Some idiot thought Couts was a better player than Richards)

Seems like the league has really lost a lot of that since it became more globalized.

Reactions: KIRK

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

First game after Sid went down?

I was there with my Dad.

Geno got a penalty in OT. Told my Dad he would score as soon as he was released. He did ;)

Great memory for me, not so much for Daddy.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish

Probably the best goal I've ever seen scored and I spent a week in my basement with my brother emulating it. I've never understood why it isn't brought up more in the highlight reels. At least Steigy got how amazing it was.

Underrated Mario Moment. I remember watching it live and just knowing the season couldn't end yet. Mario tied Game 6 with around 40 seconds left. I wasn't quite old enough to appreciate Mario before the initial retirement and remember getting goosebumps seeing him come up clutch like that. Without that goal (and Straka's OT winner), there is no Kaspar owning Hasek. Also just realized this was Mario's last career playoff goal. Not bad.

Emotional moment with Morozov showing pride by tugging on his jersey logo when it was looking like the team was on its way out of Pittsburgh. I remember watching that in the lobby before a game with my team. Ironically, we wanted them to lose as they were ending the season red hot and the Caps were tanking to try to get Ovechkin and catching up fast.

Last edited:

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Shit it was OT? I thought it was an empty net.

Just checked. Empty net: Penguins vs. Canadiens - Box Score - January 19, 2008 - ESPN

EDIT: It wasn't Fleury in net. It was Sabourin. ******* Therrien. :laugh:

OT game might have been a Gonchar goal.

I am confused now. I vividly remember Geno scoring after getting out of the box to either tie or win a game in OT. I am sure it was in MTL in 2008.

Maybe I am just getting old and confused.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
OT game might have been a Gonchar goal.

I am confused now. I vividly remember Geno scoring after getting out of the box to either tie or win a game in OT. I am sure it was in MTL in 2008.

Maybe I am just getting old and confused.

You are old and confused, but not irreparably so . . . :razz:

It was five weeks later: Penguins vs. Canadiens - Box Score - February 21, 2008 - ESPN

Pens down 4-3. Checked the play by play. Geno took a penalty at 8:07 of the 3rd. Scored the game tying goal at 10:22, 15 seconds after coming out of the box.

21 seconds later, Kovalev took an interference penalty on Geno at 10:43.

Gonchar scored the game winning PP goal at 10:58.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
You are old and confused, but not irreparably so . . . :razz:

It was five weeks later: Penguins vs. Canadiens - Box Score - February 21, 2008 - ESPN

Pens down 4-3. Checked the play by play. Geno took a penalty at 8:07 of the 3rd. Scored the game tying goal at 10:22, 15 seconds after coming out of the box.

21 seconds later, Kovalev took an interference penalty on Geno at 10:43.

Gonchar scored the game winning PP goal at 10:58.

Exactly!

That's the game!

Gosh I was over the moon! Dad was also happy... for me and because we had a great time together.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
•Jagr out of the right wing corner

•Jagr off of the left wing half wall

•Mario splitting the d

Obviously all early 90s

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Crosby’s first shift/shot/goal after coming back from his concussion. What a legendary moment that I will never forget. The emotion, the fans, everything. WELCOME BACK, SID!

This moment is 100% worth a Cup in terms of emotions. We got Sid back flying past the opposition like the old days after rumors of him being done with hockey? Yay!

He ended the game with 2 goals, 2 assists.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->