Is there a goal/play that sticks out the most for you?

YYCLetangStan

Aug 6, 2020
Calgary
Simple question really: in your years watching the Pens, is there a singular goal, moment or play that strikes a chord the most?

For me it’s a random one haha. A goal by Letang in his sophomore season (the first cup in the Crosby/Malkin era) during the 2009 regular season stretch run, against the Dallas Stars on the road. He took a cross-ice pass from Malkin, skated in and deked to go backhand shelf for a pretty goal. Ended up being the GWG and the Pens went a perfect 5-0 or 6-0 on the road trip IIRC.

I’d just gotten into hockey the year before and jumped on the Pens bandwagon. I fell in love with the shot mechanics of the backhand shot and to this day it remains my favourite part of watching hockey, purely from an aesthetic viewpoint.

The fact that Letang, who’d already been my favourite player at that time, had scored that goal in a year where the Pens went on to win the cup always stuck. Also it really displayed just how much untapped skill and potential Letang possessed when he went on to being a Norris-caliber elite all-around defenseman with great production.

Honourable mentions would be Malkin’s spin-o-rama glorious finish against Edmonton in 2016, countless Crosby goals and Kunitz’s 2017 game-winner in the ECF.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Probably too many that just randomly pop up into my head. When I was a kid... Mario's goal against the North Stars made a 4 year old feel like he just saw Santa. It was so out of this world. The guy was a superhero.

Current generation?
- Sid's 1 handed backhand goal
- tic-tac-toe against Detroit
- The Hornqvist goal. I can feel his emotion.

These are all ridiculous moments in Pens history so sorry that it is boring. But on these goals I can sorta feel the raw emotion of the moment.

If I had to only pick 1...
- As a kid I go with Mario's goal.
- As an adult I go with Hornqvist's goal.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Gonna just got with Post-Sid era, myself....

These two encapsulate who Sid and Geno are

Sid, just, taking over and doing some shit no one else can do:
Crosby-Gif-1.gif

Geno, just beasting with pure emotion:
OilyNarrowGraywolf-size_restricted.gif

YYCLetangStan

Aug 6, 2020
Calgary
Probably too many that just randomly pop up into my head. When I was a kid... Mario's goal against the North Stars made a 4 year old feel like he just saw Santa. It was so out of this world. The guy was a superhero.

Current generation?
- Sid's 1 handed backhand goal
- tic-tac-toe against Detroit
- The Hornqvist goal. I can feel his emotion.

These are all ridiculous moments in Pens history so sorry that it is boring. But on these goals I can sorta feel the raw emotion of the moment.

If I had to only pick 1...
- As a kid I go with Mario's goal.
- As an adult I go with Hornqvist's goal.

Oh if I were alive and/or a hockey fan during the Mario era I definitely think he’d have been my favourite player. Just watching old highlights of him is straight chills.

Reactions: ColePens

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Lemieux's GW goal against the Blackhawks in Game 1 of the SCF is my all time favorite moment. Coming back down 3-0 and 4-1 and to win it with seconds left was just awesome. I wasn't able to watch it but I listened to it on the radio. Lange's call was incredible. I still get chills. That game also included Jagr's insane individual effort to tie the game at 4.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Mostly from the B2B’s

SID PRE PLANNED THE PLAY

CLASSIC COMMENTARY

ALL THROUGH THE OT’S
“PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.......
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!”

Geno going through Roloson is also etched in my brain.

Not Penguins but Sid’s Golden Goal for Canada was amazing. 5 mins after it happened headed downtown for a massive street party.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
One of a shit ton is Malkin's goal on Brouder his rookie year with the long outlet pass from Sid.

Shades of Mario

One for me, and it's kind of non-descript. In 2006, the Pens make the playoffs and get curb stomped by Ottawa. We know they're young and fun and a playoff contender, but is this group a cup contender in October 2007.

Two events during the 2007-2008 season told me they were . . .

1. On November 22, 2007, they're 8-11-2 going into their first meeting at Ottawa. They go down 2-0, and it's like 'okay, not ready for prime time'. And they come back to win 6-5 in OT, showing a new level of guts and grit and will. That win is the start of a 18-5-1 run.

2. The next game is the one where Sid suffers his high ankle sprain. The next game is their first with Geno taking the mantle, in Montreal. They win 2-0. Geno only has an EN goal, but he was beast mode the entire game. That's the start of a 10-4-4 run without Sid (Geno has 13g, 18a in those 18 games).

In the scheme of things, there's maybe no standout moment, but this is 42 game span when a five year plan became the go for the cup every year plan.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Was at the Cup final in 09, game 3 down 0-2.
We get the PP and I’m sitting right inside the blue line when Gonchar rips it past Osgood. Didn’t stand up.. I literally jumped out of my seat.

Then a couple months later got a visit from Gonchar when he delivered season tickets haha.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Shades of Mario

One for me, and it's kind of non-descript. In 2006, the Pens make the playoffs and get curb stomped by Ottawa. We know they're young and fun and a playoff contender, but is this group a cup contender in October 2007.

Two events during the 2007-2008 season told me they were . . .

1. On November 22, 2007, they're 8-11-2 going into their first meeting at Ottawa. They go down 2-0, and it's like 'okay, not ready for prime time'. And they come back to win 6-5 in OT, showing a new level of guts and grit and will. That win is the start of a 18-5-1 run.

2. The next game is the one where Sid suffers his high ankle sprain. The next game is their first with Geno taking the mantle, in Montreal. They win 2-0. Geno only has an EN goal, but he was beast mode the entire game. That's the start of a 10-4-4 run without Sid (Geno has 13g, 18a in those 18 games).

In the scheme of things, there's maybe no standout moment, but this is 42 game span when a five year plan became the go for the cup every year plan.

Neither of these are a goal KIRK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->