Is there a chance to find new Panarin nowadays?

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Sure, why not. It's not like Panarin came into the league ages ago.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Silly semantics question then. Is part of the your consideration whether a player could step in as an immediate superstar and not an undrafted that has the potential to ultimately develop into a super star?

That's what I was asking by putting up Zamula and Myers' names. Not saying they're locks, but I could see them being top tier top pairing players in the league one day if developed well.

Well, Panarin didn't become a superstar immediately after he came to the NHL. Moreover, he was considered a Kane's product for his first two years, and only when he moved to Columbus, it became obvious, he was a special player on his own.

And I don't think Myers and Zamula will become superstars, even in the future.

Reactions: Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Well, Panarin didn't become a superstar immediately after he came to the NHL. Moreover, he was considered a Kane's product for his first two years, and only when he moved to Columbus, it became obvious, he was a special player on his own.

And I don't think Myers and Zamula will become superstars, even in the future.

Gio (undrafted) won a Norris in his advanced age once and was finally drafted to the NHL in an All star game... so I wouldn't totally write both those guys off. ;)

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
No need to read Atas2000 messages.

As always it boils down to: Russia = good, everything else = bad

All you can give it is an attempted personal attack based on false claims and fake narratives? Very typical western Russia=bad, we=good. Stick to it. We are so far entertained.:laugh:

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
He won the WJC while being put on that line by head coach Bragin in that one final game. He scored two. It was a brilliant move by Bragin(who was titled a scrub coach by one poster here not two days ago. Tells you about how people think.). Though the lack of attention was partially due to Panarin spending most of the tournament on the bottom 6. Kitsyn though who was riding shotgun to Kuznetsov(and everybody and their mom in Russia knew he was just a product of the future star Kuznetsov) was drafted. And what a sad career that is. He is now playing in the VHL. That's how it works. Scouts and GMs are only human. They buy into hypes, they fall to recency bias, they see the guys who are exposed, they overlook the ones who are less in the spotlight.

Is there any player you expect to see in the NHL soon or in a few years that doesn't get the respect of a top level talent from other scouts? I want to know more about Kuzmenko if you have any info specific too him aswell. Thanks in advance.

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
I mean, undrafted superstar. Despite anything they say, Panarin's case was all about bad scouting from NHL teams, and scouting has become much better since then.
They say scouting has become much better a few years after every gem. Brayden Point went in the 3rd round.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
They say scouting has become much better a few years after every gem. Brayden Point went in the 3rd round.

It's different cases. Someone like Point still can be picked in low rounds nowadays, there is no chance a kid with 0.5 PPG in the KHL as 18 year old won't be picked in the 1st round.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
He was almost 0.5 PPG in the KHL as 18 year old. Nowadays it's top15 at the draft.

Ya I don't understand how scouts missed that. Honestly, even a spreadsheet (like those nhl equivalency point calculation sites) would have drafted him...

Was he like 5'4 or did he declare he would never move outside of russia or something?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Is there any player you expect to see in the NHL soon or in a few years that doesn't get the respect of a top level talent from other scouts? I want to know more about Kuzmenko if you have any info specific too him aswell. Thanks in advance.
Kuzmenko is 24, soon to be 25. At his age Panarin and Gusev were already scoring at over PPG pace in the KHL. I doubt there is a hidden gem there. He is a solid KHLer, but that's it, not even one of the best.

As for the generation now in the VHL or starting in the KHL it's a couple of worse crops for Russia. Our recent WJC teams were actually less than impressive talent wise for our standard.

In the upcoming crops of now 15-16 year olds there might be some talented guys. Seems like a way better batch.

Reactions: thefutures

pucksakes666

Mar 8, 2018
I mean, undrafted superstar. Despite anything they say, Panarin's case was all about bad scouting from NHL teams, and scouting has become much better since then.
Go back further and find Martin St.loyis was an undrafted talent that had a great career

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Yes. Scouting is not a perfect science, let alone science. There are probably plenty of players out there who are great NHL players in an alternate universe.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
This really isn't a matter of "finding" the player, they're either already there or they aren't. There's always been the European player who becomes a late bloomer impact player in over there and eventually NHL teams will come by with contract offers. From there it's a guessing game how well their game can translate to the NHL/North American style.

Going with more current players you have the booms like Panarin, the busts like Shipachyov, and the inbetweens like Gusev. This is something that goes back to 90's though. It can even happen with North American players, like Brian Rafalski... though in the cap era he'd probably be a post college UFA-signing, and not need to play 4 years in Europe.

That sounds exactly like "finding" a player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad