Is the plus/minus stat unfair to goal scorers?

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
Goal scorers tend to be in the ice during power plays and when the team is down a goal at the end of the game. During a power play you can't get a plus, you can only get a minus (shorthand goal against). At the end of the game, it is more likely to have an empty net goal scored against than your team to score a goal. This is one of the reasons Draisaitl has such a poor plus/minus this year.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Goal scorers tend to be in the ice during power plays and when the team is down a goal at the end of the game. During a power play you can't get a plus, you can only get a minus (shorthand goal against). At the end of the game, it is more likely to have an empty net goal scored against than your team to score a goal. This is one of the reasons Draisaitl has such a poor plus/minus this year.

This is not true.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I feel as though the better value of +/- is to also include powerplay goals you're on the ice for as a "+" - but ignore PK goals when you're defending on the PK (would be too big a handicap - unless you only count pk goals as a +).

To take OP's Drai example. He's -12 this year. But he's been on the ice for a league leading 48 power play goals for. 48 - 12 = overall impact + 36.

If you wanted to do minor tweaks, and also give the player a - for any goals his team allows while on the Powerplay, that'd be fine too.

I don't like +/- in general - but if you want something to measure the overall impact on goal differential Drai has had on his team, this +36 seems a lot more sensible than the -12.

teemussalami

Mar 10, 2016
I'm surprised plus/minus is still being used as a main statistic, as flawed as it's proven to be.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Reactions: Leksand and JoVel

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org

Define "unfair". What is plus-minus doing beyond what it claims to do?

Does plus-minus require context to be useful? Yes. All statistics require context to be useful.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i hate when people compare traditional +/- to overall team goal differential (ie: player X is a (-4) on a team that is +15). does anyone else think this extremely silly?

Leksand

Oct 30, 2013
Northern VA
I'm surprised plus/minus is still being used as a main statistic, as flawed as it's proven to be.
I think it is a stat with many flaws and people who have looked at it much more closely tend to really think so.

Having said that, to me the question is why is points and goals per season or per game seen as such great end all be all stat in practice? If you say it ain’t so, go to any discussion about best all time, Hall of Fame worthiness, player x vs player y, and you will find page after page of points and goals stats without that much nuance. The belief in points as a really great overall summary stat is so strong among some that they even think era adjustment is bad - it’s points and goals and not much else.

Hockey games are won by scoring more goals than you let in and the latter aspect has so much less weight in virtually any discussion.

So, circling back to topic, +/- seems to be very flawed, but then what do you do?

BTW, just yesterday Matthews is beaten defensively for Dallas to score, then scores with a beautiful shot a few minutes later. Only the latter will count in discussions about his greatness in the future. “He was not good defensively” will be countered with “No he wasn’t’” or just ignored and that’s that. (I don’t watch enough Leads to know if he is great ok or bad defensively - it’s just an illustration of my point)

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
Not true since Pastrnak, Matthews, McKinnon, Eichel and Aho all have more than 30 goals and all have positive plus/minus.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
That shorthanded goals count is a bit strange but other than that it's just a stat. A stat can't be flawed or unfair.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Draisaitly isn't bad defensively because he has a bad +/-. He's bad defensively because his defense is bad. Sure I guess the +/- is correct in this case, but +/- in general is only mildly useful as a macro stat, and with a heavy grain of salt

nshlphoenix

Feb 11, 2020
Like all stats, they are a piece of an overall evaluation of a player. Anyone using a single stat to judge a player is just plain stupid.

Jack Flask

Jan 21, 2020
Of course a goal against while on pp should be a -Fyi +/- is a very tell-tale stat of a player’s effectiveness defensively. Is it the whole story , no but its a big part of it. Thats why its there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->