Speculation: Is the one-year deal going to be more common this offseason?

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Just wondering if people foresee particular UFAs/RFAs taking one year deals from either their parent club, or opposing team in order to bank on either a better performance in 2020-2021, or a higher cap/larger contract offerings in subsequent seasons under the pretense that COVID rolls over and things "return to normal" (in terms of increasing team budgets and increasing salary caps).

I could see a player like Troy Stecher taking a one-year deal in Vancouver.

Reactions: Morrison

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Doubt it.

For young RFAs it may, but the high dollar free agents are still gonna get the same deals. Imagine if Pietro signed a 1 year deal and then blew his ACL.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
No. Primarily because it seems like the cap isn’t just going to be flat for 1 year. We might actually see more longer deals than normal; just with lower salaries. Lehner will be one who does this imo.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
tsn was saying even the top UFA Pietrangelo is going to be affected by the pandemic. Perhaps $1 million less.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Feels like there have indeed been more 1yr deals signed this offseason.
Is there a utility available for parsing quantity of deals x deal length by offseason for FAs signed?

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
For the tweeners I’d offer 7 years x $1MM deals, even if you bet wrong you bury them in the minors but worst case you should have an above average cheap 4th line/3rd pairing for a long time

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Players like Granlund (massively hate the dude) and Haula and Vatanen should've all probably been more active in the beginning of FA.

Losing money due to greed and no worker in the world gives even a slight bit of shit about it.

Reactions: violaswallet

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Players like Granlund (massively hate the dude) and Haula and Vatanen should've all probably been more active in the beginning of FA.

Losing money due to greed and no worker in the world gives even a slight bit of shit about it.
Do you just the Finns? ;)

Reactions: Guttersniped

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I just dislike that one finn, also think the others are stupid for not taking deals that for sure were on the table.
Fair enough you just named the three best Finnish free agents.

To be fair I’m not sure if teams actually made offers: I think everyone was waiting for pieces to fall with the forwards

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad