Is the OHL on its way to Brantford?

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
Brantford would be the smallest OHL arena with 2,952 seats compared to Owen Sounds 2,983 seats, and that is before any other renovations that could drop Brantford’s seating even further. Owen Sound is financially solvent because they sellout their seats nearly every game. Not sure Brantford would be able to do that.

One of the reasons for renovations is to expand the seating capacity.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
I'm just going to reiterate that it's public knowledge that the team that did recently inquire about relocating to Brantford was Mississauga. There's no need to speculate, people. Mississauga was confirmed.

If you read the articles linked in the prior thread on this topic, you'd also know that the Civic Centre was approached multiple times over the past few years by OHL teams. So the Steelheads weren't the first.

Now what team could relocate is a different story.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Hasn't Brantford failed before as a OHL Market? What has changed in Brantford. Would they have the smallest OIL arena if they came back?

Hasn't Hamilton failed before?
Hasn't North Bay failed before?
Hasn't St. Catharines failed before?
Cornwall keeps getting mentioned as a possible expansion destination, haven't they failed before?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I think some fans will be shocked at the 2 teams the writer focused on but they shouldn't really take offense to it. Like lets say most fans had to put together a list of teams that could relocate. You look into factors like arena, finances, public support, economy, these 2 teams would make most lists. That doesn't mean we think they would move. As mentioned in the original post in the Brant News, it says 1 team has reached out to city council. Now that's pretty telling. Every team right now has steady owner ship. A future in their current markets. The logical choice would have been, Its probably Mississauga. And it might be. But what if it isn't?

This isn't going to happen overnight. This is going to be a process. I say at least 2-3 years. All we can do is speculate. If Brantford does go ahead with this and things aren't looking up in some markets, i'd be a little concerned.

i believe most people are surprised moreso due to the article not referencing up to date facts. its confusing to see the writer use the petes lease as a reason why the team may move when the leasue was cleared up 14/16 months ago.

and as others have also pointed out, i think most are surprise there is mystery surrounding who the team was who approached brantford, it was mississauga, it was/is public knowledge.

i think the methodology is surprising given the publicly available information that is available is all.

I'm just going to reiterate that it's public knowledge that the team that did recently inquire about relocating to Brantford was Mississauga. There's no need to speculate, people. Mississauga was confirmed.

If you read the articles linked in the prior thread on this topic, you'd also know that the Civic Centre was approached multiple times over the past few years by OHL teams. So the Steelheads weren't the first.

Now what team could relocate is a different story.

This, again.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Brantford would be the smallest OHL arena with 2,952 seats compared to Owen Sounds 2,983 seats, and that is before any other renovations that could drop Brantford’s seating even further. Owen Sound is financially solvent because they sellout their seats nearly every game. Not sure Brantford would be able to do that.

Owen Sound won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

In recent seasons since 2000 and again in 2011 the team has consistently shown that although the building is 30+ years old the ownership group and team has consistently been maxing out the building capacity to the point of where they had to cap season ticket sales for the past 2 seasons to comply with the fire and safety code set by the city.

Since then the league has seen small market clubs shuffle around Belleville to Hamilton and Plymouth to Flint as well as Brampton to North Bay.

Going back to the recent shuffling of the Bulls to the Bulldogs and Whalers to Firebirds, the Owen Sound Attack owners and president addressed any concerns that the local fan base had voiced.

In the announcement given by the team's president Dr. Bob Severs, he has stated that there has and never was any communication between the club and any other city in Ontario that would suggest that the Attack would be moved.

Since that statement was released by the team the ownership group had set plans in place for the building to be once again renovated and improved by the team's on financial pocket that was completed 2 seasons ago with the addition 6 private boxes on the south end of the concourse giving the building close to 10 private boxes in the building.

Along with the additional boxes that where put in the team had also purchased the video board and have a longstanding relationship with PepsiCo and the City of Owen Sound to stay in the facility for the next 2 decades.

As a fan I have yet to see any indication that the Attack and the city would not continue to be a around as the primary tennant's of the Bayshore and in the OHL for close to another 30 years as the Attack are about to see OHL reach the 3 decade mark this coming fall

Reactions: sbpointer and Otto

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
Flint seem very committed to the City. My guess is if it's not Sauga it's 100% Sarnia and if that's the case good the entire franchise can go F themselves.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Owen Sound won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

In recent seasons since 2000 and again in 2011 the team has consistently shown that although the building is 30+ years old the ownership group and team has consistently been maxing out the building capacity to the point of where they had to cap season ticket sales for the past 2 seasons to comply with the fire and safety code set by the city.

Since then the league has seen small market clubs shuffle around Belleville to Hamilton and Plymouth to Flint as well as Brampton to North Bay.

Going back to the recent shuffling of the Bulls to the Bulldogs and Whalers to Firebirds, the Owen Sound Attack owners and president addressed any concerns that the local fan base had voiced.

In the announcement given by the team's president Dr. Bob Severs, he has stated that there has and never was any communication between the club and any other city in Ontario that would suggest that the Attack would be moved.

Since that statement was released by the team the ownership group had set plans in place for the building to be once again renovated and improved by the team's on financial pocket that was completed 2 seasons ago with the addition 6 private boxes on the south end of the concourse giving the building close to 10 private boxes in the building.

Along with the additional boxes that where put in the team had also purchased the video board and have a longstanding relationship with PepsiCo and the City of Owen Sound to stay in the facility for the next 2 decades.

As a fan I have yet to see any indication that the Attack and the city would not continue to be a around as the primary tennant's of the Bayshore and in the OHL for close to another 30 years as the Attack are about to see OHL reach the 3 decade mark this coming fall
I don’t think anyone mentioned anything about Owen Sound going anywhere. I certainly didn’t.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I'm happy with the league just how it is now and hope none of the team's move. Certainly not Sarnia. Always enjoy going there and it's quick trip too. If they could just drop ticket prices a bit...

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I don’t think anyone mentioned anything about Owen Sound going anywhere. I certainly didn’t.

I'm not disagreeing about it what I'm simply pointing out is out of the older buildings in the league Owen Sound has had a strong connection to the league and even though the building is 30+ years old that out of the small market clubs in the OHL Owen Sound has been one of the league's most successful teams in recent years and has no plan on uprooting anytime soon.

As in a past few seasons with Belleville and Plymouth moving to Hamilton and Flint I can't see Owen Sound moving anytime in the years although the city is 20,000+ compared to most that are quite a bit larger in the league.

I'm simply addressing that when you see the cities that have moved they are what the league called "Small Market clubs" and has used the same reason in each case of the building being old and worn down.

Certainly makes for a model franchise and worthy opponent for most clubs in the league.

As you pointed out TCF the building size is small but keep in mind that the building was built in 1983 and was never completed to its full potential when it was built. If it was it would have been similar to the size of Sarnia or Windsor's arenas.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I'm not disagreeing about it what I'm simply pointing out is out of the older buildings in the league Owen Sound has had a strong connection to the league and even though the building is 30+ years old that out of the small market clubs in the OHL Owen Sound has been one of the league's most successful teams in recent years and has no plan on uprooting anytime soon.

As in a past few seasons with Belleville and Plymouth moving to Hamilton and Flint I can't see Owen Sound moving anytime in the years although the city is 20,000+ compared to most that are quite a bit larger in the league.

I'm simply addressing that when you see the cities that have moved they are what the league called "Small Market clubs" and has used the same reason in each case of the building being old and worn down.

Certainly makes for a model franchise and worthy opponent for most clubs in the league.

As you pointed out TCF the building size is small but keep in mind that the building was built in 1983 and was never completed to its full potential when it was built. If it was it would have been similar to the size of Sarnia or Windsor's arenas.
You are preaching to the choir.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->