Injury Report: Is The Nuge Activated? (Will Play Monday According to Eakins)

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Its been covered an debated on this board for years. Khabby, Horcoff, Souray, Jones, Whitney et al.

Most players returned to the lineup because of the lack of depth on the team. Thats what prompted my comment with RNH.

Hopefully those types of discussion are a thing of the past with the change in Management.

Wait, what exactly are you saying here, that all these players have been forced or coerced to play without medical clearance?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You're obviously trolling, or didn't read my original message properly, but I'll bite.

A couple weeks ago when asked about RNH's recovery, Hall mentioned that RNH was way ahead of where he was at the same stage, post surgery. Hall explicitly said that his shoulder wasn't ever going to be like it was before the injury, and RNH would be in the same boat. Is Hall a doctor? I don't think so. But he's been through the same process as RNH, and is better versed to speak to the health of his teammate's shoulder than you or I.

I'm not going to find the exact video link, but if you care to watch it, it can be found on the Oilers website.

I was very close to just ignoring the entirety of your post with your trolling comment. Totally unnecessary.

Not sure why you would choose to add that comment.

In any event I will check the Oilers site.

Last edited:

Sloth Slothersons*

Maybe they replaced Nuge's entire arm/shoulder with a mechanical arm to speed up the process.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Heh. Critical thinking is in short supply around here.

All I seem to see is meaningless arguing.

Oh, BTW, heard on Gregor that Nuge has put on a bit of muscle as well.

Yeah...unfortunately you are 100% correct.
Critical thinking actually gets met with derision which is really unfortunate and speaks more to an inability to counter with an intelligent response.

This board also seems to be a microcosm for society in general which is truly sad.

In any event...good to hear about Nuge putting on muscle...thats something that should help his game.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Congrats on being 100% wrong. The surgery that both Hall and Nuge had is so advanced these days, that your shoulder is better then it ever naturally was. They are far less likely to reinjure their shoulder

This is interesting...thanks for adding to the conversation.

What are you basing this on?

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Maybe they replaced Nuge's entire arm/shoulder with a mechanical arm to speed up the process.

6MMfront.jpg

:D

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Considering Hall and Nuge got their shoulders fixed at a young age before everything set, they should be fine.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Did anyone catch what Eakins said today during his interview when he announced RNH would play Monday? I really liked what he had to say in regards to timelines when players are injured. He called them "dangerous" as either way, it's a lose-lose situation. If a player is given a timeline of 4 weeks and he's back in 2 weeks, it's questioned he's being brought back to soon. If it's 6 weeks instead of 4, the rehab isn't going well and someone screwed up. He basically said once a player has been cleared to play, he'll come back to play.

This would explain the "Gagner out indefinitely" with no timeline given. I can appreciate Eakins' way of doing things, it makes sense to do this.

Here's the interview, the part I'm talking about above begins at about 1:45:

http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=4&id=451469&navid=DL|EDM|home

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Did anyone catch what Eakins said today during his interview when he announced RNH would play Monday? I really liked what he had to say in regards to timelines when players are injured. He called them "dangerous" as either way, it's a lose-lose situation. If a player is given a timeline of 4 weeks and he's back in 2 weeks, it's questioned he's being brought back to soon. If it's 6 weeks instead of 4, the rehab isn't going well and someone screwed up. He basically said once a player has been cleared to play, he'll come back to play.

This would explain the "Gagner out indefinitely" with no timeline given. I can appreciate Eakins' way of doing things, it makes sense to do this.

Here's the interview, the part I'm talking about above begins at about 1:45:

http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=4&id=451469&navid=DL|EDM|home

He'd definitely be good to learn that Oiler fans are best ignored. We'll ***** regardless.

KickHimPedro

Dec 10, 2011
Just because you change the order in which the lines are presented it does not change how the opposing coach will match against that line. You can say it's our top line all you want but coaches will put their top line against Hall and whomever his partners are

Not sure I get what you're saying. I'm going to presume you quoted me in error. Carry on.

The Perfect Human*

Congrats on being 100% wrong. The surgery that both Hall and Nuge had is so advanced these days, that your shoulder is better then it ever naturally was. They are far less likely to reinjure their shoulder

You're actually right - these glenoid surgeries often times do make these shoulders "like new". Players do varying degrees of damage to the joint over years of contact hockey. When they get the surgery they're often able to strengthen the joint during rehab to a point where it's stronger than it was before the surgery - noticeably so as well. Part of the rehab is strengthening synergistic muscle sets such that the muscle weakened by the original injury has it's motion compensated for. This may be why Hall said it "wasn't the same as before" - his overall shoulder strength is probably the same if not better than it was before.

In case anyone didn't notice, he went on to have a career year where his shot looked stronger than ever after his surgery.

In terms of re-injury risk - it's about the same as it was before the surgery.

Last edited by a moderator:

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010

to chime in on this I have heard Hall say a few times that his shoulder "will never be 100%" and he even said that in reference to RNH's shoulder. I don't think it's a case of strength or a chance to re-injure so much as it is about flexibility. I'm not doctor but that's how I interpret his comments.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
As an aside, Eakin's conference (you can watch it under RAW: Dallas Eakins on the Oilers site) is pretty hilarious.

Calls out Gregor for suggesting Hall would play on Thursday or Saturday next week, answers a question with what can only be typed out as "eugh" and sarcastically dimisses a dumb question with "well, I just said he's playing Monday".

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Yep. Now people will just ***** that they're so clueless, they don't even have a timeline

If I was a member of the media, I'd have asked "Well, can you at least give us a timeline when you might start giving timelines?" I'd probably lose my press pass, but something has to make the man smile.

oilman9482

Jun 21, 2010
Ontario
Yeah...unfortunately you are 100% correct.
Critical thinking actually gets met with derision which is really unfortunate and speaks more to an inability to counter with an intelligent response.

This board also seems to be a microcosm for society in general which is truly sad.

In any event...good to hear about Nuge putting on muscle...thats something that should help his game.

Precisely why most people don't notice that the private banks and insurance companies are a big scam and the government is run by fascists. Also if anyone looked up at the sky they would notice the chemtrails but nah, they would rather argue about the meaningless and empty parts of life all day long.

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
You're actually right - these glenoid surgeries often times do make these shoulders "like new". Players do varying degrees of damage to the joint over years of contact hockey. When they get the surgery they're often able to strengthen the joint during rehab to a point where it's stronger than it was before the surgery - noticeably so as well. Part of the rehab is strengthening synergistic muscle sets such that the muscle weakened by the original injury has it's motion compensated for. This may be why Hall said it "wasn't the same as before" - his overall shoulder strength is probably the same if not better than it was before.

In case anyone didn't notice, he went on to have a career year where his shot looked stronger than ever after his surgery.

In terms of re-injury risk - it's about the same as it was before the surgery.

A little OT, but is this because they're athletes and get the best of care, or has this procedure just advanced that far?

I ask because my right shoulder is in rough shape, and have been working towards finding a family doctor to get a referral to a surgeon.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
I swear to god, if they're rushing him back....

Everyone here is aware of malpractice right?

This isn't Any Given Sunday.

Nuge is fine. Get excited. I am. I took Nuge in round 6 of a 16 team fantasy pool, 95th overall...everyone figured he would be out for the first 12-14 games.

I am a firm believer that if Nuge plays 80 games the low end of his production is 25 goals and 40 apples; 25-40-65. Top end is 30-55-85.

Woot!

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
A little OT, but is this because they're athletes and get the best of care, or has this procedure just advanced that far?

I ask because my right shoulder is in rough shape, and have been working towards finding a family doctor to get a referral to a surgeon.

The surgery is quite reliable, however high-level athletes will obviously receive more attention to detail on their recovery so their recovery will typically be much smoother and reliable. If your shoulder's bothering you to a point where its unbearable or interfering with your everyday life then definitely look into surgery, you won't regret it.

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
The surgery is quite reliable, however high-level athletes will obviously receive more attention to detail on their recovery so their recovery will typically be much smoother and reliable. If your shoulder's bothering you to a point where its unbearable or interfering with your everyday life then definitely look into surgery, you won't regret it.

It's not that it's necessarily bothering me, but I've dislocated it three times now, and I'm constantly worried at work that my next move will throw it out again, so it's time to get it done I think. And still being young (22), the chance of success will be higher from what I've heard.

Thanks for the answer. Sorry to go OT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad