Speculation: Is the North League a possibility again ?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The only reason it existed last year was becuase of the travel restrictions at the boarder. Those do not exist currently, and it does not appear any are on the way. The current restrictions in Canada are in place only to limit the impact on the health care system. So, while they do impact the bums in the seats, they do not restrict cross-border travel.
Let's just say it's a nightmare for teams down south if the Leafs and Canadiens somehow qualify for revenue sharing due to this. That's the main reason the league is doing this.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
2CE9F8E0-8711-4202-AB52-4B847272EDB7.jpeg

Meh

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
They postponed the Jan 17 game against the Devils, so the next scheduled home game is the 26th.

Apparantly the Leafs have already cancelled all tickets for all games in Jan.

Is that devils game officially postponed? because as of a couple hours ago when I last looked at the schedule on their website it wasn't listed as postponed

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Is that devils game officially postponed? because as of a couple hours ago when I last looked at the schedule on their website it wasn't listed as postponed
Looks like they will play but with no fans.

Following the province’s announcement which further limits venue capacities, Scotiabank Arena will transition to operating temporarily without any fans as we continue to work together in the fight against COVID-19.

All tickets for the following games have been cancelled:
  • Wednesday, January 5th vs. Edmonton
  • Monday, January 17th vs. New Jersey
  • Saturday, January 22nd vs. NY Islanders
  • Wednesday, January 26th vs. Anaheim

For Members and Suiteholders your money will remain on account as credit for future use. Should any of these games be postponed, credit will not be issued as fan attendance remains a possibility. All other ticket purchasers will receive a refund in 30 days. Please continue to follow @MapleLeafs for capacity updates as they become available.

We look forward to hosting fans again as soon as the province deems it safe to do so.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Following the province’s announcement which further limits venue capacities, Scotiabank Arena will transition to operating temporarily without any fans as we continue to work together in the fight against COVID-19.

For Members and Suiteholders your money will remain on account as credit for future use. Should any of these games be postponed, credit will not be issued as fan attendance remains a possibility. All other ticket purchasers will receive a refund in 30 days. Please continue to follow @MapleLeafs for capacity updates as they become available.

We look forward to hosting fans again as soon as the province deems it safe to do so.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Man I hope they play because if that Devils doesn't happen the Leafs will have 7 games in hand on Tampa as of January 21st.

that's wild to me at some point you need to start playing games

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Man I hope they play because if that Devils doesn't happen the Leafs will have 7 games in hand on Tampa as of January 21st.

that's wild to me at some point you need to start playing games
I'm going on the assumption that they are playing but with no fans.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I’ve heard revenues for home games are about $3 million per game for MLSE. I’m sure they would not prefer to play in front of zero fans and would gladly kick it down the road for when they can be more open and stack more home games down the stretch.
Depends on what you count but there are 18,000 seats at roughly $200 per game and 1,000 box seats at $1,200 per game plus food, beverage, parking, merch and in game arena sponsors = approximately a little over $6M per game .. this does not include board sponsors who are part of in game media package .. Leafs Habs and Rangers all get this program and it is why league can't afford those teams games with no attendance

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
i'll admit that i have a very hard time watching sports with no fans. it looks brutal and just flat out depressing if i'm being honest. I skipped the ottawa game and last night i could only watch a few minutes here and there, but when it was on all i could think about was how shitty our goverment is, how badly handled this pandemic has been, how my kids aren't getting a good education, how jealous i am of Americans and their personal freedoms.

I'm probably in the minority, but i'll pass on watching hockey and basketball for the time being. Toronto home games at the very least.

Reactions: Auston 316

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I expect this will continue through February and maybe March .. hopefully home games get postponed to later in season or they extend season or flip games and let Leafs play on road exclusively next 2 months

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If an all CDN div return means more games like the last Ottawa and Oilers games and toss in empty Arenas, then NO THANK YOU !!!!

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019

The NHL has postponed three additional games due to Canadian attendance restrictions, the league announced Wednesday.
The games are:
• New Jersey Devils at Montreal Canadiens on Jan. 15
• Devils at Toronto Maple Leafs on Jan. 17
• Chicago Blackhawks at Edmonton Oilers on Jan. 18

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I expect this will continue through February and maybe March .. hopefully home games get postponed to later in season or they extend season or flip games and let Leafs play on road exclusively next 2 months
As much as I hate the stands empty, I'm happy to just take the credit this year for the games being played with no fans.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
As much as I hate the stands empty, I'm happy to just take the credit this year for the games being played with no fans.
Yep next years credit card hit will be a little lower .. I sold my pair to a buddy and he wanted his $$$ back so I ended up just taking the tickets back for rest of year .. gave them for free to my daughter and husband over holidays so hope they can get a few games in this season and then I'll be back for playoffs assuming covid is done by then

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I seriously hope they move the teams to American cities to play as they did with the Raptors.

I can't see it happening but would be nice to move them somewhere where the lockdowns aren't so insane.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
i'll admit that i have a very hard time watching sports with no fans. it looks brutal and just flat out depressing if i'm being honest. I skipped the ottawa game and last night i could only watch a few minutes here and there, but when it was on all i could think about was how shitty our goverment is, how badly handled this pandemic has been, how my kids aren't getting a good education, how jealous i am of Americans and their personal freedoms.

I'm probably in the minority, but i'll pass on watching hockey and basketball for the time being. Toronto home games at the very least.

I'm still watching the Leafs and Raps home games, but I understand where you're coming from. Last season it wasn't as difficult to digest because all the teams throughout the league were in the same boat for most of the season.

This time, it feels different.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I would only support it if we didn't solely play Canadian teams all the time. As a divison, it would be great for us since Calgary and Edmonton (lol) would be our toughest competition in the first two rounds of the playoffs.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
The corporate atmosphere has made Leaf home games pretty boring and clinical for a decade
The Leafs did that.
The fans have been great the last few years coinciding with the team being better. Weird how that happens.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Wait, wait. The way I read this, these games haven't ben postponed, they will likely be played, there just won't be any fans in attendance.

The Monday one may be postponed. Apparently the Leafs have agreed to play Wed & Sat nights to accommodate Rogers' TV scheduling

Reactions: Gary Nylund

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
how jealous i am of Americans and their personal freedoms.

Your body, your choice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad