Is the North Division the closest we will see to a 6 team NHL?

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
LOL teams are getting dummied by the Leafs so now the narrative is that the North is the weakest division. Not related to OP's topic but it's a theme I'm noticing in the comments of various threads. Even if the North is the weakest division, it's by such a small margin that it isn't even worth mentioning. The two best offensive teams are in the North so that's something to consider.

But to answer OP's question, I guess you can think of each division as it's own league. With less competition, it's easier for top teams and players to thrive. So in that sense, a top team like the Leafs may place higher in the standings than they normally would, but the same is possible for the best teams in every division unless that division is absolutely stacked with talent.

Last edited:

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
LOL teams are getting dummied by the Leafs so now the narrative is that the North is the weakest division. Not related to OP's topic but it's a theme I'm noticing in the comments of various threads. Even if the North is the weakest division, it's by such a small margin that it isn't even worth mentioning. The two best offensive teams are in the North so that's something to consider.

But to answer OP's question, I guess you can think of each division as it's own league. With less competition, it's easier for top teams and players to thrive. So in that sense, a top team like the Leafs may place higher in the standings than they normally would, but the same is possible for the best teams in every division unless that division is absolutely stacked with talent.
Now? The narrative was the North division was the weakest before the season even started. Nothing has changed. And yes, it does matter.

Reactions: Another AZ

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Last four seasons leafs have placed 13th, 7th, 7th, 14th overall in the nhl. This year they're running away with 1st, and it's clearly because of the weak division. Don't get me wrong I think they're a good team, but more like 5-10 than 1st.

You’re right. Has nothing to do with a new top pairing defenceman, no serious Marner and Matthews injuries, new coach, new depth players all playing well above their contracts, etc.

This place is pathetic sometimes.

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
No olympics would be closest to original six in terms of talent.
This is an interesting point actually, didn't think of it. Since the vast majority of the top talent in the world is on just a handful of teams in the Olympics that's pretty fair. They just need a 50 game schedule now. :popcorn:

Buzzman17

Apr 13, 2017
Last four seasons leafs have placed 13th, 7th, 7th, 14th overall in the nhl. This year they're running away with 1st, and it's clearly because of the weak division. Don't get me wrong I think they're a good team, but more like 5-10 than 1st.
Nah Matthews Marner and a Nylander have all taken that extra step and hitting their primes. Sometimes young players improve when they hit age 23. Lol

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
Now? The narrative was the North division was the weakest before the season even started. Nothing has changed. And yes, it does matter.

I guess it matters to you. I'm not stopping you from obsessing over it. Take it up with Gary Bettman if you expect perfect parity and equity for each division. That said, you're wrong. And yes, it does matter.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Not even close to it, when you had 6 teams the talent was on those 6 teams, now its still split 31 ways add the North being the weakest division in the league
The North is far from the weakest division in the league. Take last years west as an example only Vegas did better than the Canadian teams in that division, namely, Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton. Looking for the weakest division look at this years west, L A, San Jose, Aneheim, Arizona.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Not sure what the OP is trying to get at, other than being a troll.

If the NHL somehow contracted down to six teams, five of the teams in the current North Division would be among the ones contracted. It'd be Toronto, Montreal, Rangers, Chicago, Los Angeles (Canadian fans wouldn't like it, but the LA market is too big not to have a team) are the five most obvious ones, then one of Boston, Detroit or Philly (personal bias says Boston, but I know this'll never happen anyway).

Leaving the "North is the weakest division" aside, the North Division regardless only has (approximately) one fourth of the NHL-caliber talent, and it's spread among seven teams, not six. If the NHL somehow contracted back to six teams, all the talent in the contracted teams would be redistributed among the remaining teams. Three quarters (again approximately) of the players on the remaining teams would be out of a job as they would be replaced by better players from contracted teams, and even the players that would remain on their surviving team could get bumped down from first line/pairing to the third or even fourth line.

TL;DR version:

no.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If Detroit or Buffalo was in the North, Matthews would have 50 by now.
Wings have allowed 7 less goals than the Canucks and 13 less goals than the Sens. He gets to pad his stats enough.

As if the 2 worst defensive teams weren't in the North already :laugh:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
A common thing on here is I hear XXXX player did that in a 6 team league. With no inter-division gameplay, the North Division has 7 NHL teams that play 56 games vs each other. Do you think this is similar to how it was when there was 'original 6'?

Wouldn't every division in the NHL this year simulate an Original 6 condition?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->