Is the North Division the closest we will see to a 6 team NHL?

illpucks

May 26, 2011
A common thing on here is I hear XXXX player did that in a 6 team league. With no inter-division gameplay, the North Division has 7 NHL teams that play 56 games vs each other. Do you think this is similar to how it was when there was 'original 6'?

Reactions: I Hate Chris Butler

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
I mean it sort of feels like it in the sense of getting to know your opponents so well. I understand the Leafs’ opponents this year better than I ever have before, I’m surprised by how much I’ve been enjoying it.

It won’t happen for a lot of reasons, but I’d be happy to see not only a Canadian division, but an entire separate conference where Canadian teams didn’t play an American team unless it was the Finals or Semi-Finals.

I love not having to watch certain American teams at all, just as I’m sure there are fans in those States happy not to have to watch Canadian teams they don’t care about.

I’d miss seeing certain superstars, but that’s a trade-off I could live with.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Not even close to it, when you had 6 teams the talent was on those 6 teams, now its still split 31 ways add the North being the weakest division in the league
North has the strongest offense in the NHL so yes its kinda like the original six with weak goalies and weak defense. The north put back into their old leagues would still be racking up points .

Fans of teams outside of the North are insecure about their teams so all they can do is yell at the sky saying the North division isn't real hockey when its the best hockey to watch out of the four divisions.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
North has the strongest offense in the NHL so yes its kinda like the original six with weak goalies and weak defense. The north put back into their old leagues would still be racking up points .

Fans of teams outside of the North are insecure about their teams so all they can do is yell at the sky saying the North division isn't real hockey when its the best hockey to watch out of the four divisions.

Wow so defensive. No one in outside of the North cares about the meaninglessness in that division.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003

It's not insecurity it's reality. The highest placing north team last season was 12th overall. East for example has 4 of the top 7 teams from last year and currently 5 teams over .600 point percentage.

Lots of exciting players in the north but it is looking like the weakest division. You think Toronto would be running wild like that if they were in the east, not a chance.

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
It's not insecurity it's reality. The highest placing north team last season was 12th overall. East for example has 4 of the top 7 teams from last year and currently 5 teams over .600 point percentage.

Lots of exciting players in the north but it is looking like the weakest division. You think Toronto would be running wild like that if they were in the east, not a chance.
They would be right up there with Boston and Tampa, like they have been for the last 4 years.

Reactions: BTP and SnizzMitch

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
Boston and Tampa were #1 and #4 overall last year. Toronto #13.
The Leafs also spent the first two months of last season trying to get their coach fired.

Take a look at their record after they fired Babcock. .628 pts% vs .478 with Babcock.

It's clear to anyone who watches the Leafs that the terrible start to last season was responsible for their final league standing.

Last edited:

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
The Leafs also spent the first two months of last season trying to get their coach fired.

Take a look at their record after they fired Babcock. .628 pts% vs .478 with Babcock.

It's clear to anyone who watches the Leafs that the terrible start to last season was responsible for their final league standing.
But if they were so good how come they lost to the Bluejackets in the play-ins?

Reactions: Ncit3

lawrence

May 19, 2012
A common thing on here is I hear XXXX player did that in a 6 team league. With no inter-division gameplay, the North Division has 7 NHL teams that play 56 games vs each other. Do you think this is similar to how it was when there was 'original 6'?

well no, since the original 6 they had the best players in North America playing among the 6 teams.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013

You mean the same Blue Jackets team that swept the 62-16-4 Tampa Bay Lightning in the first round a year prior?... Good teams never get upset...

It's the playoffs. Shit happens.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013

Of course they would. They'd be right up there with Boston and Tampa like always. North has the best offense. Its not the weakest division.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline

Are you saying TBL wasnt a top team in 2018-2019?

The Leafs are a young team that couldnt handle the playoffs last year, but its clear as day to anybody that has watched the Leafs team this year that this is the best Leafs team in a LONG time.

Their youth seems to have finally clued in and started giving 100% each night, Brodie coming in and Holl stepping up have given them a legit good defense, our vets (Thornton, Bogosian, and simmonds) have been fantastic additions, and our coaching has implemented a system that is favourable for our players.

Despite numerous injuries, losing our top 2 goalies at the same time, and a humiliating OTT loss our team has consistency fought back.

Could they choke in the playoffs again? Absolutely, but this is the best a Leafs team has looked 20 games into the season in the cap era.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Any division the Leafs play in is by default the weakest division in the league

When the Leafs were in the Atlantic, it was the Atlantic

You can switch the Leafs and the weakest team from the consensus strongest division, and that division will now become the weakest division in the league if the Leafs do well

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
wtf kind of thread is this? You do know that all 4 divisions are structured the same way, right? All division are just 7-8 teams playing each other over and over

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Of course they would. They'd be right up there with Boston and Tampa like always. North has the best offense. Its not the weakest division.
Last four seasons leafs have placed 13th, 7th, 7th, 14th overall in the nhl. This year they're running away with 1st, and it's clearly because of the weak division. Don't get me wrong I think they're a good team, but more like 5-10 than 1st.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Last four seasons leafs have placed 13th, 7th, 7th, 14th overall in the nhl. This year they're running away with 1st, and it's clearly because of the weak division. Don't get me wrong I think they're a good team, but more like 5-10 than 1st.

They got a better team this year on paper than any previous year. They got TJ Brodie for nothing. Signed Thornton & Simmonds who are both playing well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad