Is the NHL back to being one of the "4 Major Sports" in the US

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Not looking at figures or anything, just basing this off my own talks with people. Yes, it's gaining popularity. Just from talking with random people I know in the states they actually ask me about hockey now. One of the biggest reasons is that 24 show, the one that follows the Pens and Caps I believe.

Not just that though but the superstars in the league right now are garnering attention just by being so good.

The league is really great right now, can't wait until my team is a part of it...

Herregud

Feb 7, 2010
Washington, DC
Nascar isn't a sport its a game/entertainment.

The Olympic committee recognizes chess as a sport.

Something may not fit your personal definition of a sport and you may not like it or even find it ridiculous (I'm a curling mocker, myself), but that doesn't stop it from being what it is by definition and/or common sense.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I always thought the NHL was in the big 4, a distant 4th but I always thought it was 4th. As for NASCAR, I never saw the appeal of people driving fast for 500 laps.

kodoshin

Mar 26, 2007
The Olympic committee recognizes chess as a sport.

Something may not fit your personal definition of a sport and you may not like it or even find it ridiculous (I'm a curling mocker, myself), but that doesn't stop it from being what it is by definition and/or common sense.

By that same token, who made the word of the Olympic committee binding and official? I love Chess but would never dare to classify it as a sport.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
Has the NHL made it's way back to "The Big Four" again?

Who cares where it ranks imo. It doesn't matter. What matters is the health of the game. Its growing in popularity, revenues are on the rise.

The US economy has been struggling greatly for the past couple of years and its a huge suprise that the NHL hasn't taken a bigger hit because of it. Thats a big testament to hockey imo. In Canada, the economy didn't suffer nearly as much but hockey is the only real ticket for Canadians so it would never be as vulnerable.

The reality is even with the problems in Phoenix, Atlanta, the way the US economy went into the toilet, the NHL is lucky that 4-6 franchises didn't go under. Look at the foreclosure rate on homes is in the US, look at how hard it is to get a loan in the US.

Its amazing how well hockey has done, it don't matter if its 4th or 8th, its in a good spot.

Islanders1932

Jul 16, 2006
Long Island
www.beyondthetestprep.com
All these sites say the same thing:

1. Baseball
2. Football
3. Basketball
4. Hockey

http://www.mostpopularsports.net/in/united-states-of-america/

http://www.statssheet.com/articles/article33978.html

http://www.uwtledger.com/2.13122/top-five-popular-sports-in-america-1.1701995

http://joged.com/coaching/the-most-popular-sports-in-the-united/

4. Hockey is one of the newer sports gaining popularity with the American public. It did not originate in the United States, but it has found its way into our sporting life and become one of the fastest growing sports. Ice hockey is the most popular form of this sport, with street hockey being popular with older kids everywhere.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I would think NBA and NHL are close to equal with the NBA having a slight edge...

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
Because your fat ass doesn't do it at 200 MPH for 3 hours wearing a flame suit without A/C at multiple Gs.

Ever seen a fat NASCAR driver? That's why.

Here's the flaw in your argument. Driving 200mph with the window open makes the A/C pointless...

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I expected this thread to be about the very pleasing growth of hockey in the United States.

Instead, it's about a bunch of Canadians making fun of NASCAR and Texas Hold 'Em.

hcdt

Feb 17, 2006
Suprised

I was just abroad in Europe and coudnt read local news papers as there was none so i tend to buy US newspapers like US Today etc and i was very suprised how much coverage NHL did have.. several pages of news and articles in this US Today i did read just 2 days ago.

So this is atleast no bad sign..

Canadian91

May 8, 2009
Ottawa
In Canada, it would go something like this for the PRO sports:

NHL

NFL
CFL

MLB

I didn't even bother putting the NBA on the list. It's probably behind Racing, Golf and Soccer in Canada.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
In Canada, it would go something like this for the PRO sports:

NHL

NFL
CFL

MLB

I didn't even bother putting the NBA on the list. It's probably behind Racing, Golf and Soccer in Canada.
In Toronto we're a little spoiled with an MLB team, and NBA team, and an MLS team. Hell, we even get the Buffalo Bills playing here from time to time.

I'm not sure if this is just a trait of my community in the GTA or not, but hockey has really fallen off here. Most of the people my age and slightly older or younger have a love affair with basketball. Only a select few follow hockey, and even then it's definitely the secondary sport. A bunch of minor hockey associations here ended up folding as they could not ice enough house league teams in virtually any age bracket.

Other communities exist where MLS soccer is [i[huge[/i]. I don't know many people who are huge baseball fans.

Anyways, I'd assume that it's different in other Canadian cities. None of them have MLB or NBA teams (although the MLB and NBA have tried and failed in other cities, namely Montreal and Vancouver). I believe Vancouver has an MLS team now.

Last edited:

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
F1 is pretty terrible to watch. I mean, passing is part of racing.

There is a fair bit of passing in the middle of the pack.

The problem with F1 is that the engineers and drivers are exceptionally skilled. The engineers are always finding ways to make the cars go faster until the FIA (governing body of F1) puts in new regulations to slow them down. They are also always introducing new concepts and rules to try and promote overtaking (passing, as you'd call it) but the drivers are always finding ways to adapt and limit overtaking opportunities.

The truth is that the gap in speed between the cars in every tier (if you think of it as high/mid/low tier cars) is pretty minimal, so you can't blow by guys on sheer speed. The end result is that you have to enter a turn faster, exit a turn faster, or take an alternate racing line in a turn to try and make the pass. Each track only has a few strong turns for overtaking, and there isn't a lot of track space for you to try and squeeze yourself on the inside of a turn or for you to try and go wide.

Most of the drivers in F1 are excellent at defending their racing line and boxing out an opponent. Every defensive maneuver throws the trailing car back some time because they have to slow down a little bit to avoid a collision.

I feel like the F1 vs NASCAR "debate" has some parallels to the defensive vs offensive style hockey "debate" in the NHL. F1 doesn't have a lot of passing, but it is a showcase of very skilled driving. NASCAR doesn't have that same kind of skill on display, but it does have a lot more action. The F1 fan is like the guy who would rather watch a 2-1 hockey game with two teams playing strong defensive systems, while the NASCAR fan is like the guy who would rather watch a 10-9 hockey game with a lot of run-and-gun offense with sloppy defensive/positional play.

To each their own. I have a hard time watching full races period, but I much prefer F1. I'll usually watch the races for my favourite circuits (maybe five out of the season) and that's it. The rest is just highlights. Ten minutes of NASCAR puts me to sleep.

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
Because your fat ass doesn't do it at 200 MPH for 3 hours wearing a flame suit without A/C at multiple Gs.

Ever seen a fat NASCAR driver? That's why.

russ-hamilton.jpg

Jzk

Mar 12, 2009
If NBC stepped up to the plate and put hockey on one of Tuesday-Thursday nights prime time. It will make a comeback.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad