Is the NHL back to being one of the "4 Major Sports" in the US

TrollololBoyle

Mar 22, 2010
Danbury, CT
We can split hairs here, but I think when people talk about professional sports the only people who include NASCAR are NASCAR fans. I guess it is a sport, but certainly not in the traditional sense.

The reason they are all thin is because the drive a moving sauna in a snowsuit, not because they are doing something overly athletic. I would agree that what they do is strenous and difficult, but I still dont call it a sport. Plus it is boring as **** to watch.

All in all, they are all just a bunch of kid's games that they get paid to do...

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Because your fat ass doesn't do it at 200 MPH for 3 hours wearing a flame suit without A/C at multiple Gs.

Ever seen a fat NASCAR driver? That's why.

I've never seen a fat aerobics instructor, either, but I'm not going to start calling Jazzercise a sport.

And I'll have you know that I always wear a flame suit while driving and I rarely drive the speed limit. My ass isn't fat, either. It's practically flat.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
When it comes to racing being a "sport", F1 drivers are a hell of a lot better than NASCAR drivers.

foppagirl21

Jan 16, 2011
Denver, CO
Yes, I'd think that hockey is back in the '4 major sports' category again. I know the lockout ruined this, but I know personally that people who stopped watching the NHL after the lockout are resuming again. Good sign in my book.

Oh, and I was able to get some of my friends this past season from Florida to start watching hockey. Actually, one of them really wanted to start watching it, so interest around the sport is definitely picking up.

...now if the NHL had only signed on with ESPN... don't get me wrong, there are definitely flaws with NHL and ESPN together, but it really does expose the US market to hockey.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
What people failed to understand was that NASCAR wasn't just a "regional sport", it was very much a "cultural sport". Until very recently nobody ever attempted to expand it out of its very narrow demographic niche. 30% of the South is African-American -- do you ever see black NASCAR fans? Likewise, auto racing is very much a blue collar sport, yet it was being sold to a middle/upper class audience who saw it as a trendy companion to their Hummer and their John Deere riding lawnmower. It's not a surprise at all that as soon as the ticket prices went up and the drivers started seeming a little "Hollywood", the whole operation took a giant nosedive. It was a crazy idea to take it mainstream, like trying to make yachting the next big thing on Sportscenter.

I know a lot of fans of NASCAR were not very happy when the sponsorships changed from Winston/Busch to Sprint/Nationwide.

clownshoes

Mar 5, 2008
Windowless room
Nascar isn't a sport, darts isnt a sport, poker isn't a sport, Golf and Bowling as sports is stretching it imo. tHE ONLY PART OF gOLF that qualifies as athletic is the drive, the rest is just walking and chips, putts and a slightly efforted iron shot.

In the US;

MLB
NBA
NFL
NHL

InCanada;

NHL
NHL
NHL
MLB

Jahodac

Feb 12, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
It's a shame NASCAR is more popular than Formula One or real racing on the Nurburgring.

Peugeot 908 HDi > a Chevy Impala stock car

Hockey is definitely climbing up in popular sports but is still around #5 or #6 and that is if you don't count college sports.

Professional sports:
#1 MLB
#2 NFL
#3 NBA
#4 NASCAR
#5 NHL

Also driving is a sport, therefor NASCAR is sport as much as I hate to say it.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
It's a shame NASCAR is more popular than Formula One or real racing on the Nurburgring.

Well in the case of F1, it's never talked about and when it's shown it's usually very early in the morning on Speed. It doesn't help ever since the debacle at Indy over tires when half the field decided not race, plus they haven't raced in the States since 2007. In 2012 though, F1 is returning to the States.

Claimed Off Waivers

Mar 2, 2007
Montreal
Nascar isn't a sport, darts isnt a sport, poker isn't a sport, Golf and Bowling as sports is stretching it imo. tHE ONLY PART OF gOLF that qualifies as athletic is the drive, the rest is just walking and chips, putts and a slightly efforted iron shot.

In the US;

MLB
NBA
NFL
NHL

InCanada;

NHL
NHL
NHL
MLB

MLB has lost quite a bit of popularity in Canada
I'd say it goes

1)NHL AINEC

2)CFL
3)NFL
4)MLS
5)MLB
6)CHL
7)NBA

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
No.

In no order: NBA, NFL and MLB

Mix bag of NHL, Nascar, Golf, Poker, UFC, Boxing etc...competes for a distant #4

However, if we include college sports, then College would be among the top 4

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
We can split hairs here, but I think when people talk about professional sports the only people who include NASCAR are NASCAR fans. I guess it is a sport, but certainly not in the traditional sense.

What do you mean not in a traditional sense? I hope you don't mean to include hockey in the traditional sense. Racing on wheels is came along centuries before hockey.

JerseyGuy276

An American Outlaw
Mar 22, 2010
A Flood Zone

In the US;

MLB
NBA
NFL
NHL

InCanada;

NHL
NHL
NHL
MLB

Seriously? You need skill to play golf otherwise people who shot in the 60s and 50s on tv wouldn't be paid millions of dollars for it.

Espher

Nov 22, 2008
Fredericton, N.B.
If we're including NASCAR as a support, I'm including first-person shooters and MMORPGs.

I mean, high-level fps matches and MMO engagements I've been in have certainly been more physically and mentally demanding and draining than several other sports I've played (bowling, curling, golf).

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
NASCAR still exists?

It is a sport. I'll be damned if I ever understand the appeal of it, but it is a sport. It's extremely regional, though. It has absolutely zero presence whatsoever in the northwest. Growing up in Pittsburgh it would struggle to rank in the top 6 or 7 there.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
College football and basketball are both still more popular than the NHL. It goes:

NFL
MLB
NBA
College Football
College Basketball
NHL

There is no way college football is below the NBA at this point. And I'd be surprised if it's below MLB. Maybe in terms of revenue, but almost certainly not in terms of fan interest.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Yeah, in terms of fan interest, it's:

NFL
College football
MLB
College basketball
NBA
NHL

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
There is no way college football is below the NBA at this point. And I'd be surprised if it's below MLB. Maybe in terms of revenue, but almost certainly not in terms of fan interest.

Yeah you're probably right. I guess it should be:

NFL
College Football
MLB
NBA
College Basketball
NHL

PGA
NASCAR
UFC (MMA)

Ad

Upcoming events