Is the myth that Auston Matthews does not show up in the playoffs finally over?

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Of course you do. You start a thread posing a question and then can't wait to respond to the first person to challenge your preconceived answer to your own question. It's OK to start a thread, ask a question and have an opinion, but if you are truly asking then accept that others are have different answers and don't be so defensive.
Great post.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
I see him more as a sniping winger then a C, his lesser playmaking skills will stop him to become a top 5 C in the leuage. Only his shoulders will stop him to be +45 scorer for a long time!

Matt24

Apr 8, 2013
If he has a big game or two to get his team out of the first round here, then yes. Time for him to have his big playoff moment in the coming days.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
if I were the leafs I try to trade him to the avs4 for McKinnon......he is a beast
...but no way avs do this

Auston Matthews could literally not play for the next 2 seasons and would have the same amount of career goals as Nate mackinnon

Matthews scored 111 career goals in 3 seasons. It took mackinnon 5

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Auston Matthews could literally not play for the next 2 seasons and would have the same amount of career goals as Nate mackinnon

And MacKinnon “literally” has almost as many points in the last two seasons as Auston Matthews has had in his three.

Which is about as relevant as your point.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Because players primes are generally 19-21 or 24-26?

Who cares? You were trying to boast about your player’s goal-scoring prowess in comparison to MacKinnon. MacKinnon, last season, finished the season with 97 points in 74 games. This season, he finished with 99 points in 82. Auston Matthews might be the better goal-scorer, but MacKinnon is quite clearly the better player... and who knows if Matthews will ever be as good as MacKinnon is right now?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yeah, those kind of pace arguments for the playoffs are really more about career paces, with plenty of games played. Until then, I really feel it’s more about whether a player is playing well. That’s just my take.

Case in point: Tomas Hertl was 39th in playoff goals per game among active players when we had this discussion earlier today. Now he is 23rd.

The Murph

Feb 25, 2018
Watching him these last 2 playoff series, he's gotten a little better.

Last series, he was pretty much a ghost. Almost completely non impactful. This series, he's shown a few flashes where he's been a hard guy to contain. And this has nothing to do with his production, just the eye test shift to shift.

He seems to be improving, just not there yet when it comes to being a player who's generally hard to play against with any regularity, more random shifts.

As of right now, he's a player with great skill who can still be shut down and taken advantage of on the defensive end, but has game breaking skill to produce if given the opportunity.

neXis

Jan 3, 2016
He's still young, and it's only his third playoff appearance. Are people really claiming he's a playoff choker? Can people just wait until he's had at least 5 years under his belt before making that assessment? Way too early to make a conclusion about his playoff performance, but so far he's been good.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
If MacKinnon was centering Kapanen and Johnsson and saw his PP time cut by 40%+ he would be back down to a 52 - 53 point player.
FXLThSZ.jpg

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
He's still finding himself.

I have full confidence he'll be the best player in the league for a long stretch (maybe 5 years).

Yes - above McDavid.

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
He was a no show last year, you can argue all you want but if he showed up and carried the play, the outcome might've been different.

This year he's showed up in the last 2 games, he was pretty invisible in games 1 and 2.

He needs to continue tearing it up now, I still haven't seen him take over a game like MacKinnon has or McDavid in the past

I'm wondering if you watched game 1? That was arguably his best game even though he didn't put up points.

Not saying he's been the greatest playoff performer but I think it's best to see the whole sample size before saying these things.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I'm not a believer just yet. According to everyone, Round 1 doesn't mean anything.

Let's see what he can do in a round 2 (If they make it) before we start giving some credit.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
His salary has nothing to do with anything in my post or your post. But I guess when you don't have any real arguments that is all you have left.

Drop the salary and what do we have left?
11 pts in 17 games.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
yup, everyone knows he has more to give, fortunately we have superstars like Marner and Tavares to continue to dominate while the very young Matthews continues to bud into one of the greatest young goal scorers in the league.

We are all very upset by our wealth of young stars, I know you're not familiar with it seeing as you guys thought Drouin was going to be one.
Than we all agree.He's been more of a passenger than anything else when it comes playoff time so far in his career.See HF and Leaf fans can all sometimes agree.

Reactions: Snowman

FelixPotvin29

Oct 21, 2012
This was probably an ill-advised thread to make, but you’re basically telling people that the two last games is evidence he shows up. Why do you need the approval of other people for Matthews?

Same reason why you might want an umbrella if it’s raining

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018

Yet no GM in the league would trade MacK for Matthews. Hmm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad