Is the myth that Auston Matthews does not show up in the playoffs finally over?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Idk.... he had a solid game 4... he looks good on pp, and in game 4 he seemed more engaged.

Id like to see more of that from him, maybe a lil more emotion in the game not only when he scores a goal

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
11 points in 17 playoff games for 11 million cap hit.

Matthews is an elite player who plays average to well in the playoffs depending on the game. Let also keep in mind Marner had an amazing pass for a wide open net...it’s not really like Matthews made the play happen.....he just stood where any peewee player knows to stand and was given a gift. His first goal was a nice shot, but should have likely been a save.

It’s not a “myth” he doesn’t show up in the playoffs.....stats don’t lie.

Can this change? Of course. For all I know, the last two games could literally be the catalyst for him to become the biggest playoff producer in history. But as of now.....he doesn’t produce 11 million worth of playoff stats....not even close.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Wow, that’s some elite cherry picking on your point.

Might as well leave out the rest of the games, especially in year two, because that would ruin this really awful attempt of yours

Which seems more likely to you:

That the guy who is a 0.97 Pts/GP player through 212 career games is the guy who has been a 0.9 Pts/GP player through 2 seasons of playoffs or that he is the guy that was a 0.29 Pts/GP player through one playoff?

Tough question. Think about it.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki

That the guy who is a 0.97 Pts/GP player through 212 career games is the guy who has been a 0.9 Pts/GP player through 2 seasons of playoffs or that he is the guy that was a 0.29 Pts/GP player through one playoff?

I think he has been better this time in the playoffs, but his level of engagement leaves me wondering.

Also playoffs are just completely different beast than regular season. He should imo have more points with Tavares taking the top line of Bruins.

As was said before - scoring a few goals doesn't mean you had a good game.

Reactions: Snowman

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

He has 11 points in 17 games.

Enough of choosing one or the other. It’s the same player.

Like I said: you’re cherry picking one set of stats that doesn’t paint the entire picture and it’s because he’s Auston Matthews.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

How about the guy that IS .64 throughout his playoffs and isn't worth a damn 5 on 5.

darnok

Mar 15, 2014
He's played 17 playoff games. Bit early to declare or debunk a myth, don't you think?

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I think he has been better this time in the playoffs, but his level of engagement leaves me wondering.

Also playoffs are just completely different beast than regular season. He should imo have more points with Tavares taking the top line of Bruins.

As was said before - scoring a few goals doesn't mean you had a good game.

Yet scoring no goals doesn't mean you had a bad game.

Yes he could be better but if being point per game is mediocre, you can only complain so much.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
He has 11 points in 17 games.

Enough of choosing one or the other. It’s the same player.

Like I said: you’re cherry picking one set of stats that doesn’t paint the entire picture and it’s because he’s Auston Matthews.

Yup. You got me. 222 GP vs 7. You win.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
if I were the leafs I try to trade him to the avs4 for McKinnon......he is a beast
...but no way avs do this

If MacKinnon was centering Kapanen and Johnsson and saw his PP time cut by 40%+ he would be back down to a 52 - 53 point player.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Feeling insecure, OP? What if I told you Draisaitl has gone beyond round 1? :sarcasm:

I'd congratulate him on beating a team that only had 14/48 worse for point totals over the last three playoffs. Meanwhile if Matthews wins even one series he'll have done so while having to face 3 teams in the top 12/48. Heck if he wins one he'll have done something no Oiler has since 05/06.

Reactions: LeafsNation75
Feb 24, 2017
If it’s accepted that matty in fact does show up for playoffs, can we equally double down on the fact Nylander doesn’t? Cause he’s killing us. 7 mill to just skate away from contact and the net and dump it into the corner.

Reactions: Snowman

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
11 pts in 17 games....8 even strength pts in those 17 games. Ya that's worth 11mil.

His salary has nothing to do with anything in my post or your post. But I guess when you don't have any real arguments that is all you have left.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
And don't forget that 52 pt pace over his career in the playoffs EH.
yup, everyone knows he has more to give, fortunately we have superstars like Marner and Tavares to continue to dominate while the very young Matthews continues to bud into one of the greatest young goal scorers in the league.

We are all very upset by our wealth of young stars, I know you're not familiar with it seeing as you guys thought Drouin was going to be one.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
This sounds like you have only watched 1 Leaf game. Matthews is statistically the best 5v5 goal scorer since he came into the league and one of the best 5x5 players. Barely any of his points this year came on the PP
20 PP points this season is 27.4% of his total points.

Over his career, 54 PP points is 26.3% of his total points.

In these playoffs, 2 of his 3 goals and his one assist have come on the PP.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Opportunistic sniper is the perfect way to describe him. hes had a few snipes on the PP but man is he unnoticeable unless hes scoring a goal. He definitely doesnt carry the play much, battle in corners much or do a whole lot defensively either. I think hes a guy who will have years in the playoffs where hes god like and others where hes junk because he seems to run hot and cold.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad