Is the myth that "a sweep in the playoffs = a boring series" finally over?

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Penguins Isles series sucked.

CBJ and Tampa was great. There are always exceptions to the rule.

Reactions: varank

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
4 games of a team getting destroyed is boring, not everything is black and white. 4 overtime’s should not be boring and so forth and so on.
Your blanket statement seems odd

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
When a heavy favourite sweeps a big underdog it could be boring. Hi-hum just taking care of business.

When it goes the other way though, it can be highly enjoyable.

One of the most entertaining sweeps I’ve seen was the heavy underdog Buffalo sabres taking out the heavily favoured Boston Bruins in 4 straight in the 1993 playoffs.

I can still hear the “Mayday” call.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
The 4 games can be entertaining as hell and it could be more entertaining then a boring 7 game series, sure. But its not "a myth," a series will lose entertainment points when one team is never close to being on the ropes. CBJ/TB being an example makes sense because it was the rare sweep where if Tampa won a single game, being so heavily favoured, everyone would be afraid of them coming back.

For the most part, sweeps are boring and a seven game series, even with slightly-moderately less entertaining games, will still be more exciting.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Predators/Stars is a snoozefest and it’s going to 6 games
Jackets/Lightning was incredible and all the games I watched was exciting and fun.

Reactions: Viqsi

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
Both series where exciting for neutral fans and fans of the teams who won, the islanders pittsburgh series looked like a good old 80s battle every game. And columbus realy ramped there play during those 4 games.

Maybe its because im a neutral fan and wont have a heart attack because my team is out, but most series have been pretty entertaining.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->