Is the draft lottery working?

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
The most fair solution: Base the draft order on how many no-trade lists each team is on. The more lists, the higher you draft.

Seriously though, 95% of what people think of as "tanking" is not about getting a high draft pick. If what the Ottawa Senators have done in the last year hasn't convinced you of this, nothing will.

Reactions: MacBradley

ibleedkings

Rob Fake
Jul 19, 2004
Santa Clarita
Absolutely not. - Signed every Avs fans and Joe Sakic :(
sakic-png.211523

Both joe and Luc looked dead last night

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Yes, it is.

Since the lottery changes in 2016, over the 4 years, the team with the worst record kept the pick twice, moved down 3 spots twice.

People complained for years that the shitty teams always got the best picks and then when they changed the rules, there's still more whining

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Yes.

I'm saying that non-Edmonton GMs throwing a hissy fit over a small sample statistical outlier of Edmonton wins was stupid and has made things worse for everyone.
You're talking about people who are willing to call up league offices because refs make one bad call against them. I'm pretty sure being screwed out of franchise altering star players would be a lot bigger deal.

Imagine what a McDavid would've done for a team like the Arizona Coyotes and millions that could have been generated for that franchise and the owner. Sold out arena every night, playoff revenue, jersey sales, TV contracts.

To us fans it's just entertainment and good laughs to watch HFBoards melt down. But these are multi-million dollar business decisions we're talking about here, absolutely GM's can and should throw hissy fits.

Reactions: MacBradley

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
You're talking about people who are willing to call up league offices because refs make one bad call against them. I'm pretty sure being screwed out of franchise altering star players would be a lot bigger deal.

Imagine what a McDavid would've done for a team like the Arizona Coyotes and millions that could have been generated for that franchise and the owner. Sold out arena every night, playoff revenue, jersey sales, TV contracts.

To us fans it's just entertainment and good laughs to watch HFBoards melt down. But these are multi-million dollar business decisions we're talking about here, absolutely GM's can and should throw hissy fits.

They can throw fits if they like, and I can call them stupid for doing so.

If they had never changed the rules in the first place McDavid wouldn't be a member of the Oilers right now.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I feel like they should increase the odds of the top 3 teams. It does seem weird that the last place team has less than a 20% chance of landing 1st overall...this coming from a fan of the team who traded their first pick (Ottawa).

I also think there should be a limit to the amount of top 3 picks you can get in the span of let's say, 3 years. If you reach that limit, the max you can get is 4th overall or something.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I actually like the system this way. I don't think the difference between the three worst teams and next say 10 teams is that big. The worst teams still get the highest picks more than the other teams but it doesn't just hand them the picks either.

The changes helped some teams get higher draft picks that either never had them or haven't had in quite a long time because the team was allways in between playoffs and high draft picks. I think thats a good thing.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
I mean it sucks as an Avalanche fan, but in reality it was just extra for us anyway. I'd loved to have had Hughes or Kakko in the Burgundy and Blue, but I am equally excited about having Makar and Byram with Girard and Barrie.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I like the current system way more than the previous system. I think it is more representative of the difference in team play than reverse points alone.

Reactions: Oryxo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad