WGR: Is the 2018 collapse impacting excitement?

RecycledEichel

Out with the old...
Oct 19, 2013
Raleigh
The crowds are a joke at the game this year. Makes we wonder if this is a hockey town anymore or just doesn't have enough wealth to support NHL hockey.
It's not usually a problem. We have been one of the 6 worst teams like 7 years in a row. Being actually good will bring everyone back.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Outside of the top 5-6 teams in the East, I would put our roster with there with the rest of the bunch. Sure we aren't a contender yet but no reason we can't be in the wildcard race all year. It's all going to come down to Krueger and whether or not he can keep this team confident and on their toes. We can't let those bad habits continually creep back in.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I guess I go with the flow. When they're playing well I'm excited for the team and want to watch. When they aren't, I'm not. I don't let a trend allow me to make long-term assumptions about the team. I already have a good idea about the range of success they might have from season to season. Last season doesn't determine how I view this season...especially with an almost entirely new coaching staff. I figure their ceiling is to be the 2nd or 3rd team in the Atlantic, and floor is 5th or 6th place.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
The crowds are a joke at the game this year. Makes we wonder if this is a hockey town anymore or just doesn't have enough wealth to support NHL hockey.

I mean, I was at the game on Friday. I thought the crowd was really into it. It was way better than some games I've been to over the past few years. Granted it was a smaller crowd at 15k people.

I think the Bills being 4-1 has a lot to do with the smaller crowds as well. A lot of people just aren't into Sabres hockey until the Bills season ends and when the Bills are good they basically pay no attention to the Sabres.

Reactions: Chainshot

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
The obviously flawed roster is what dampens my enthusiasm, despite positive early returns.

Get Sobotka out of the lineup (let alone in the top 6), find a legit 2C (instead of putting wingers there) and put Casey M in rochester instead of giving him under 10 minutes TOI a night.

Until then? It's just waiting for the obvious roster cracks to reflect in the standings.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Its the same team with poms, wilson, tage out and Rasmussen vesey and olofson in. Miller for Blowyou is an upgrade. Why should anyone think that is enough to compete w TB, TO and Bos? And why do we buy into the wait until next year shyte Bobblehead spews? I am enjoying the start but watching tb v to and thinking we can't match up with either in a 7 game series.

1). Why are you comparing us to the elite teams in the league? There is a middle ground between president’s trophy contender and missing the playoffs.

2) You should be aware that anything can happen in playoff hockey, the most talented teams rarely win. For example, look at the teams you just mentioned and ask how they did last year.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I'm most definitely tempering my expectations and not getting my hopes up in comparison to last year during the winning streak when I thought everything was finally coming together.

Right now I'm just happy they're fun to watch and will be competitive every night. That's a huge difference from January - April of last year where watching the games and even just checking the score at the end of the night got to be a chore.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm most definitely tempering my expectations and not getting my hopes up in comparison to last year during the winning streak when I thought everything was finally coming together.

Right now I'm just happy they're fun to watch and will be competitive every night. That's a huge difference from January - April of last year where watching the games and even just checking the score at the end of the night got to be a chore.

Yep, just being able to watch them from an entertainment standpoint is a step in the right direction. That they did it with convincing wins is a bonus. I'd like to see them win convincingly today before going on the road out West which is usually both a good team bonding experience AND notoriously a losing proposition.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Yes. Because the roster holes that we knew existed post collapse were not mitigated. New coach. Great. But the Vlads and Veseys and Ill throw Erod in there as well, simply don’t move the needle.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Not surprised to see this thread bumped after the Anaheim game. Just a reminder, this was their first regulation loss of the season. We all know one bad game defines an 82 game season...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad