WGR: Is the 2018 collapse impacting excitement?

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Late night discussion: 2018 collapse impacting excitement?

The Buffalo Sabres are off to their best start since the 2009-10 season after a 5-4 overtime win against Montreal Wednesday. Buffalo has gotten seven of a possible eight points at 3-0-1.
The fast start, along with the 50th anniversary celebrations, there is a refreshing excitement around the Sabres to start off the season. But how strong is that excitement?

The last 8 years have been impacting the excitement. Respect the process.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
It's nice to watch the team now but I am not overly excited... Botts still has to continue tweak the roster.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
It's nice to watch the team now but I am not overly excited... Botts still has to continue tweak the roster.

How much more needs to be done? Since the TDL last year Botts has added to the main roster...

Montour and Miller , 2 legit top 4 RHD
Joki, a budding future top 4 RHD
Mojo, a vet 2nd liner who has been a great 2C for us
Olofsson, a high end goal scorer
Vesey, a guy who is supposed to be a middle 6 winger capable of 16-17 goals

The only addition who has not been great for us is Vesey. He literally changed 1/3rd of the entire lineup since last deadline.

You simply cannot just turnover more then half the team. The only thing we truly need is an upgrade on Sobotka and we have that down in Rochester right now.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Seen too many times this team get a jolt of excitement, that quickly gets extinguished because the team falls in poor habits and starts to doubt themselves, and then continues to have bad habits where the weight of trying to get that monkey off the back is too much. It's become a vicious cycle.

We have probably our most talented roster since the 10-11, and so we can get excited that we have guys on the team, that when the cycle comes around again that we could possibly withstand the negative thoughts, not to mention we have a better coach to get us in a better place.

It's still early to see how they handle everything. There are some positive signs. One HUGE sign to take away is the fact our 9 goals in the 2nd period leads the league while our 2 goals against is top 10 (2nd lowest amount). Imagine that, a Buffalo Sabres team doing well in the 2nd period. We have been by far the worst 2nd period team since 10-11. Scoring only 568 goals and giving up 760 goals prior to this year.

Of course we need to see better starts and endings to games, but the one hurdle that has plagued this team has been a strength.

Reactions: Chainshot

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
If we're still in a playoff position 50 games in, I'll start to get a little excited. Still a very young inexperienced team with a new coach and 2 unproven goalies. Teams will start to gameplan for us and match our style like the Jackets did.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Good point @Buffaloed , they have sucked for so long that the collapse last year - the failing to continue unsustainable puck luck is probably less catchy than GR calling it a collapse but more accurate - is just another in a long line of failures.

Reactions: oldgoalie

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Seen too many times this team get a jolt of excitement, that quickly gets extinguished because the team falls in poor habits and starts to doubt themselves, and then continues to have bad habits where the weight of trying to get that monkey off the back is too much. It's become a vicious cycle.

That's where I expect Krueger to make a difference. I think he has the ability to keep the players focused and all pulling in the same direction when they face adversity. Under Bylsma/Housley when the losses came, it turned into every man for himself.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
A 10 game win streak is going to get any fanbase excited. Even at the time we all sat here saying we got lucky for a few of those games. Has that collapse quelled my enthusiasm for the Team this year? Not necessarily. If anything it has taught me that the bar must be higher. There are 78 games left to prove their ability.

the way I see it is a four, five, or fifteen game span of good play is not a full season. That’s why I want to take a more mellow approach to the Sabres and Bills. Show me CONSISTENT underlying results (corsi, 5v5 xG%, growth from young players) with a coupling of the true results (wins).

for example, this team is leading the league in goals after four games but has a completely unsustainable PP%. I’d like to see this team continue to grow at 5v5, especially Olofsson.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
It's only been 4 games...

But I'm much more impressed by this start than I was at any point of last year.

Imo, nhl teams win by having multiple impact players. I'd say about 6 is the minimum depending on the quality of the top players and lesser depth guys.

For whatever reasons, last year they hamstrung themselves and went into the season with only 3 such forwards and hope, with bad filler. On defense they had 1 in Dahlin abd hope with Risto.

They just never had the talent to have a chance, and Housley did him....

This year they have two additional impact forwards. And Dahlin on defense got reinforced with good depth pieces throughout the defense corp.

I don't know about other people, but I think this version is much more sustainable. In Krueger we hope.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
When I stop getting irrationally excited for my sports teams every season, is the time when I stop watching sports. I never understood the negative outlook people have towards a game we watch for fun,

So yup I’m excited. And nope, I don’t care about last year

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Last year taught me to enjoy something while it lasts. Those first 40 games were fun because we were winning and looked like we had a legitimate shot at the playoffs. I was even excited for games 40-60 even though our play was starting to fall off because we were a part of the playoff race.

This year things could turn to shit even sooner, so I'm determined to fully enjoy every second of Sabres hockey while things are still going well.

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
It's not affecting me one bit. In fact, I'm not even sure what you all are talking about.

I vaguely remember looking into a Men in Black Memory Eraser last winter, but can't remember many specifics around it.

tenor.gif

Go Sabres.

ADK

LETS GO BUFFALO!
Oct 3, 2017
Eastern NY
Not in my house, we're super pumped. Cautiously optimistic, sure. Though a new head coach/ system reminds me that this is not last season's Sabres.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Yes. I keep waiting for the team to go into a tailspin. How they handle their first real losing streak will show (me at least) whether anything has really changed.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Its the same team with poms, wilson, tage out and Rasmussen vesey and olofson in. Miller for Blowyou is an upgrade. Why should anyone think that is enough to compete w TB, TO and Bos? And why do we buy into the wait until next year shyte Bobblehead spews? I am enjoying the start but watching tb v to and thinking we can't match up with either in a 7 game series.

Reactions: Goathead

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Its the same team with poms, wilson, tage out and Rasmussen vesey and olofson in. Miller for Blowyou is an upgrade. Why should anyone think that is enough to compete w TB, TO and Bos? And why do we buy into the wait until next year shyte Bobblehead spews? I am enjoying the start but watching tb v to and thinking we can't match up with either in a 7 game series.

Neither team made it out of the 1st round, TB didn't even win a game and neither team is better this year then they were last year. 4 games into an 82 game season doesn't really tell us much yet.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
How much more needs to be done? Since the TDL last year Botts has added to the main roster...

Montour and Miller , 2 legit top 4 RHD
Joki, a budding future top 4 RHD
Mojo, a vet 2nd liner who has been a great 2C for us
Olofsson, a high end goal scorer
Vesey, a guy who is supposed to be a middle 6 winger capable of 16-17 goals

The only addition who has not been great for us is Vesey. He literally changed 1/3rd of the entire lineup since last deadline.

You simply cannot just turnover more then half the team. The only thing we truly need is an upgrade on Sobotka and we have that down in Rochester right now.
Yepp Sobadka has to go and so we will need a top 6 guy...I'm not convinced yet that the player is in Rochester....i also don't care for the GLO line at all... I know what all the fancy stays say but I think that whole line could be replaced...a lot of additions on defense..we'll have to see how all that pans out.. That is looking promising... Overall it looks like we are heading in the right direction finally.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
Yepp Sobadka has to go and so we will need a top 6 guy...I'm not convinced yet that the player is in Rochester....i also don't care for the GLO line at all... I know what all the fancy stays say but I think that whole line could be replaced...a lot of additions on defense..we'll have to see how all that pans out.. That is looking promising... Overall it looks like we are heading in the right direction finally.

With what? Within the organization? They're having trouble finding a functioning 3rd line + a RW for Skinner/MoJo. Trades? What other assets other than draft picks for an entire functioning line? Free Agency? Boyle could come in, but at what price?

We know you dislike 28/22. And you're right, they aren't irreplaceable pieces. But they're doing their job the point where there are other priorities for players to replace.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Not gonna lie, as positive as I generally am, I'm tempering my excitement this year and I'm sure it's at least in part to last years collapse. Even though I know that this years team is playing better hockey and last year was always doomed to blow up given the win streak being full of unsustainable luck.

EDIT: I think the problem I'm having this year is... yeah we're playing better hockey, how sustainable is it? Will the GLO/Larsson line always be this effective? Will our PP continue to be hot enough to win games despite the lack of even strength scoring? Is any improvement in overall play due to coaching, roster moves, player development, all of the above? Or will everyone go back to not knowing how to play hockey next game?

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
Last year's winning streak was more unsustainable goaltending while being outplayed, and a lot of general luck.

This current streak is unsustainable goals, specifically on the PP.

The difference for me is that the Sabres still should be winning the majority of these games. I never felt that last year.

RecycledEichel

Out with the old...
Oct 19, 2013
Raleigh
We are winning a great number of games early on without having great advanced statistics, kind of like last year's winning streak. Maybe the numbers come in better as the players get more accustomed to the system

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Late night discussion: 2018 collapse impacting excitement?

The Buffalo Sabres are off to their best start since the 2009-10 season after a 5-4 overtime win against Montreal Wednesday. Buffalo has gotten seven of a possible eight points at 3-0-1.
The fast start, along with the 50th anniversary celebrations, there is a refreshing excitement around the Sabres to start off the season. But how strong is that excitement?

The last 8 years have been impacting the excitement. Respect the process.

The crowds are a joke at the game this year. Makes we wonder if this is a hockey town anymore or just doesn't have enough wealth to support NHL hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad