Is Team Shooting% A Bigger Problem Than Team Save %?

White Out 403*

Have you watched a single game this year?

Perhaps if I ask this again, you will respond to:

Again, you kinda glossed over the important fact that up until the last game his save % was 901. The sample size is so low that 1 game jumped it by 8%. It's too early for save %, or shooting %.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
...And in our case it mostly measures quality of shots, sure we have guys that can take the puck to the net. My question is do we have guys like Patrick Kane, Phil kessel, Crosby, Malkin, or toews? The answer is no, my point is that it seems nobody I willing on the rush to take that extra second with the puck and make a smart play, whether that's making a good pass, or holding the puck for that extra second to take a good shot on net rather than some weak wrister from the blue line right in the logo.

Sure I agree with you Garrett, sometimes sh% does measure luck and whatnot but I don't think that's really what it shows here. Guys with unrealistically high % (kadri) are unlikely to keep it up their whole career, but when you're talking about a whole team with low shooting percentage over an extended period of time, something isn't right. Wether it's coaching or just bad play I don't know but I do know something has to change.

No, you are right completely, we don't have those calibre guys... although we have some not too shabby guys. You are probably right in your analysis.

I'm not saying that the Jets are good offensively or disagreeing you on that point; I'm just saying that team shooting percentage isn't a good indicator of that.

Jets poor sh% could be due to talent, could be due to luck, could be both. The problem is you can't say for sure what, and because of that it's just not a good piece of evidence.

If you want I can give you good evidence to prove your point...

When the score is close (ie: game isn't carried away and the other team isn't going in a defensive shell) the Jets are 24th in the league for out chancing and out possessing the other team...

For 5v5 situations the Jets are 18th in save percentage.

There I proved your point for you in a better manner :)
Jets skaters over the season have for the most part been a larger problem than the goaltending.

If you want to know where to place blame:

Montoya in his 2 games is 18th in league in 5v5 sv%, Pavalec is 38th overall and 18th for starters. So, neither are being above average for their job but are not the weakest link or ******** the bed.

None of Ladd, Little, Wheeler have been near their normal selves and Kane has still been basically playing by himself.

The team has gotten a lot better, but long way to go. Here's the cumulative scoring chances % for Jets as the games go on:
BXuFhX8CYAAo-7f.jpg

In the end, neither Sv% and Sh% at this level of sample is only indicative of what happened, not what will happen, nor team, system or individual talent. That piss-poor scoring chance though... That's another story.

Gotmilt*

Jun 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Thanks Garrett, completely agree with you. I'm not much of a stats guy but you do make a point. I do however blame some of our poor sv% largely on poor defensive play and bad turnovers.

When I watch the jets play I never say "oh that pav is terrible" it's usually "wow nice turnover Bogo, that was a gimme". Bogo, buff, postma, and cllitsome are turnover machines (no I didn't look at the stats lol just assuming).

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Can someone start a pool when the Jehtz will score a PP goal, maybe we can go the whole year without getting one. That would be awesome!!!

I say they will fail 56 more times!

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
In the end, neither Sv% and Sh% at this level of sample is only indicative of what happened, not what will happen, nor team, system or individual talent.

The OP was never intended to predict what will happen. Purely annalyzing the past and why we're losing games. My eyes were telling me that our players were not converting on glorious scoring chances and the SH% number somewhat backs that up. We either need to score more or give up less goals. Having a PP that clicks at a reasonable rate would also do wonders. Maybe this team needs more practice on the offensive part of the game.

Gotmilt*

Jun 23, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree aavco, when was the last time we were up by more than one goal? I don't even remember because we have so much trouble putting the puck in the net

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Another interesting statistic

@JetsStatsGuy: #NHLJets lead the league in missed shots with 196. The 10-1 Avalanche have only 97 missed shots (best in the league).

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
I know I'm stuck in the past, but I keep thinking a blast around the goalie's ears early in the game by a guy like Byfuglien would do wonders for a team's shooting percentage.

(Players really used to do this...)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->