Is Switzerland for real???

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCCHL inactive

I thought they were "for real" until they tied Germany. When you knock off the Czechs, then Canada, your expectations for a game against Germany go through the roof, and they couldn't follow through.

twelve

May 19, 2005
Swiss posters on this board will agree with me that the draw against Germany was not astonishing. If you know the Swiss team and their history playing against Germany, the result is logical. Needless to say that the German team was more effective at getting inside the Swiss zone and slot. They have struggled with the Swiss systems more than once and have their methods to get around it.

Tritsche

Apr 12, 2005
Lenzburg
4 games in 5 days. You need a rest. Switzerland played only 80% against germany. Anyway we don't have a chance against the 7 bignations when the top team play good. For the german fans, I know my first sentence is hard, but believe me it is the truth but I see on the other hand if germany plays with Sturm, Hecht, Benda and maybe Lüdemann, it would be a really hard fight and for me germany would be the favourite against team Switzerland.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
lonewolf-Superbeast said:
Can someone tell me who stole Canada, the Czech Republic, Russia, and the American's stash of Wheaties and gave them to Switzerland, Finland, and Slovaks...

Geez...Switzerland actually looks that good...

I kinda want to see them win gold...

So you are suggesting switzerland, finland and slovakia were pretty much equal and way behind those other teams before the games?

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
They play great and it's nice to see some upsets but they are difinitely not going to make the semis. We all know that the big teams improve as the tournament goes on and now after beating CZE and CAN nobody will underestimate them in the quarters - like Belarus was in 2002. That's the difference, Belarus lost all the games in the prelims (hence the underestimation from Sweden) and focused on the quarters. Switzerland gave everything they had in the prelims and there is nothing they can do more to surprise in the quarters because the big teams will be ready.

2002 was a great tacticall thing by Belarus. And it's not going to happen this time. Swiss will get demolished... Whatever happens, they had a successful tournament. :clap:

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
Give the Swiss credit

They deserve to be in the medal round. Their tie against Germany doesn't surprise me, because it's all they really needed to ensure at least a medal round birth (and now, unless they lose to Italy, 2nd place in their group). Great goaltending and teamwork gives a team the chance to beat a "better" team.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that both Finland and Russia are playing well. As far as Slovakia, they were expected to do well (perhaps not this well, but that's because many were unsure of their defense/goaltending, which has proven a strength thus far).

On the downside, not sure why Canada can't put the puck in the net, although I expected their defense would have its problems. I was especially surprised by their loss to Switzerland, because they were shut out (although maybe undeservedly), and they had an off day to prepare for the Swiss, whom they knew had already beaten the Czechs.

The Czechs seem to be missing some of the unheralded, scrappy players they've had in past tournaments, but are still dangerous. I know most teams have lost some players due to injuries that occurred before the Olympics began. However, the Czechs lost Hasek and Elias their first game, had to play the Swiss at 7 am ET (less than 24 hours after their first game), and lost Jagr against the Finns. Honestly, until Jagr was hurt, I thought the Czechs played as well against Finland as anyone I've seen in this Olympics. If Jagr is near 100%, and Vokoun shakes off the rust in goal (and plays like he did in '05 WC), no one will be happy to draw the Czechs in the medal round.

Scotty Hockey

Jan 6, 2006
Commack, NY
It's what hot goaltenders can do for you ... in a short tourney that is what you need. Niity is doing the same for Finland. And that is why the US messed up by not bringing Ryan Miller.

Jon Casey took the Minnesota North Stars to the Stanley Cup final for crissake ...

shawn_kemp*

IMO we cannot say Big 7 anymore. In fact, it's more like "Big 7 + 1", 1=Switzerland.

ShaneDoan

May 5, 2005
It definitely looks Switzerland is newcomer as a future`s big hockey country, but i must ask are there any good prospects in Swiss hockey?? Some national-hero DiPietro is very old now...Gerber&Aebischer are good goalies, definitely NHL-level players!

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
shawn_kemp said:
IMO we cannot say Big 7 anymore. In fact, it's more like "Big 7 + 1", 1=Switzerland.

Hey, hey, slow down... It will take much more than two good games to join the club of big 7 (7+1). :shakehead :teach:

BTW, Germany is still better hockey country than Switzerland.

ShaneDoan

May 5, 2005
TORRUS said:
Hey, hey, slow down... It will take much more than two good games to join the club of big 7 (7+1). :shakehead :teach:

BTW, Germany is still better hockey country than Switzerland.

Surely Germany plays sometimes very good, but they dont have enough quality in team...and Sturm&Hecht almost always dont play in big tournaments so germans dont have any chances!

HughJass*

sstranged said:
It's what hot goaltenders can do for you ... in a short tourney that is what you need. Niity is doing the same for Finland. And that is why the US messed up by not bringing Ryan Miller.

I was on that bandwagon before this tournament, but now that's just getting annoying. Goaltending is not Team USA's flipping problem, goal scoring is.

Ironchef Chris Wok*

The Swiss are taking the exact same "playoff cinderella" formula we've seen over and over again in the NHL:

1) Ride a hot goaltender
2) Skate, skate, and skate
3) Line 4 guys up in the neutral zone

Veela

Aug 17, 2005
Prague
TORRUS said:
They play great and it's nice to see some upsets but they are difinitely not going to make the semis. We all know that the big teams improve as the tournament goes on and now after beating CZE and CAN nobody will underestimate them in the quarters - like Belarus was in 2002. That's the difference, Belarus lost all the games in the prelims (hence the underestimation from Sweden) and focused on the quarters. Switzerland gave everything they had in the prelims and there is nothing they can do more to surprise in the quarters because the big teams will be ready.

2002 was a great tacticall thing by Belarus. And it's not going to happen this time. Swiss will get demolished... Whatever happens, they had a successful tournament. :clap:

Good call, good reminder of 2002 Belarus. I also liked Austria at 2004 WC, they tied Canada 2-2, looked good in the start of the tournament, but eventually slip away.

Czechs didnt play Swiss at full throttle, it was less than 24 hours after they beat Germany and some 60 hours after they traveled from US. Swiss plays tight game, very effective, very hungry, great goaltending, but the overall quality is not there. They will play either Russia or Slovakia in quarterfinals- two great skating teams with lots of talent. Good luck to Swiss. They write the story but this story will end soon.

HughJass*

I love it how everyone makes excuses when their team loses. If they stop sending NHLers, maybe some of you will stop making excuses?

No, you will find new ones. :shakehead

shawn_kemp*

TORRUS said:

By Big 7 + 1 I meant : Big 7, and Switzerland 8th. Just to outline the fact that Switzerland is better than the rest of the countries. In no way they are a member of a Big 7 or Big 8.

Random Oracle

Aug 3, 2005
shawn_kemp said:
Just to outline the fact that Switzerland is better than the rest of the countries.

Are they though? I don't follow the games outside the big 7 that closely, so do the Swiss win the other teams with consistency?

Tritsche

Apr 12, 2005
Lenzburg
ShaneDoan said:
It definitely looks Switzerland is newcomer as a future`s big hockey country, but i must ask are there any good prospects in Swiss hockey?? Some national-hero DiPietro is very old now...Gerber&Aebischer are good goalies, definitely NHL-level players!

Yes there are a few...

For sure
Sprunger (Minnesota) and Romy (Philadelphia)

Maybe
Wick (Ottawa), Joggi, Walker, Furrer (NY Rangers), Diaz, Seydoux (Ottawa), Weber, Simek, Bürgler, Jacquement

Overrage
Bärtschi (22) (Pittsburgh), Conne(26) (LA Kings), Bezina (26) (Phoenix) 3 NHL games, Vauclair(27) (Ottawa) 1 NHL game, Plüss (29). I have to say that probably all player are now UFA, for example Connes draft was 2000, so I don't think the rights are still by the Kings...

Last edited:

kingsfan25

Jul 25, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Tritsche said:
Yes there are a few...

For sure
Sprunger (Minnesota) and Romy (Philadelphia)

Maybe
Wick (Ottawa), Joggi, Walker, Furrer (NY Rangers), Diaz, Seydoux (Ottawa), Weber, Simek, Bürgler, Jacquement

Overrage
Bärtschi (22) (Pittsburgh), Conne(26) (LA Kings), Bezina (26) (Phoenix), Vauclair(27) (Ottawa), Plüss (29),

I Conne a Kings prospect, for sure? There is some question as to that on another board.

Tritsche

Apr 12, 2005
Lenzburg
Flavien Conne
Born Apr 1 1980
Height 5.09 -- Weight 176
Selected by Los-Angeles Kings round 8 #250 overall 2000 NHL Entry Draft

The problem by Conne is that he is really small like Brière. His skills: He is a great face-off player, a great boxkilling player with average defensive play and is capable to score at any time. He is not a sniper but he know how to score.

Flaws: Like I already say he is to small for the nhl. And he is in the most things better than average but in nothing absolutly great. You can compare him with Riku Hahl former player of Colorado. Maybe Conne is a bit more a scorer and Hahl a ltitle bit better in physic play.

Career potential:4 line player or maybe 3 line...

Source
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid[]=36078

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
shawn_kemp said:
By Big 7 + 1 I meant : Big 7, and Switzerland 8th. Just to outline the fact that Switzerland is better than the rest of the countries. In no way they are a member of a Big 7 or Big 8.

I know what you meant. But I'm trying to say that it will take them to do much more to be considered a consensus 8th in the world. They have a good team now and they prepared well but who knows what happens later. They first have to dominate Germany, Belarus, Latvia etc. to be named as the 8th in the world...

And I still consider Germany a better hockey country!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad