Is Swedens forward group still very good?

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
You see alot of people giving praise to Swedish d. But is not the swedish forwards very good aswell?

Gabriel Landeskog - Nicklas Bäckström - William Nylander
Filip Forsberg - Mika Zibanejad - Elias Lindholm
Elias Pettersson - William Karlsson - Andre Burakovsky
Viktor Arvidsson - Joel Eriksson Ek - Patric Hörnqvist

Maybe its the homer inside me, but i think that forward crop is top 5 in the entire world.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Not only is that group skilled but almost everyone is strong 2 way players and eriksson ek, landeskog, hörnqvist, lindholm, zibanejad, arvidsson, forsberg and karlsson can play a gritty game. so its a rather complete group.

Last edited:

OskarOskarius

Jan 7, 2019
I think the main complaint is that Sweden have no real top 10 forward. 2006 we had Forsberg, Sundin, Markus Sedin, Henrik Sedin, Markus Näslund, Alfredsson and Zetterberg. Zibanejad and Bäckström are basically Alfredsson/Zetterberg tier. We don’t have any real star anymore. Pretty hard not to see a big decline in Swedish hockey,

Reactions: Dingo and TommySalo

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I think the main complaint is that Sweden have no real top 10 forward. 2006 we had Forsberg, Sundin, Markus Sedin, Henrik Sedin, Markus Näslund, Alfredsson and Zetterberg. Zibanejad and Bäckström are basically Alfredsson/Zetterberg tier. We don’t have any real star anymore. Pretty hard not to see a big decline in Swedish hockey,

Pettersson

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
He’s got potential, but he’s not a star player the way eg Forsberg was.

Forsberg was a top 2-3 forward. Tough ask f

If Pettersson was on a team with competent management and ownership I actually believe he has the potential to have a better career (not cup wise as avs no cap were stacked)

OskarOskarius

Jan 7, 2019
Forsberg was a top 2-3 forward. Tough ask f

If Pettersson was on a team with competent management and ownership I actually believe he has the potential to have a better career (not cup wise as avs no cap were stacked)
Potential yes, but he is currently nowhere near the level of Forsberg, Sundin etc.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden

That kind of stuff is cyclical (unless you're Canada). Case in point, what stars did we have on D in 2006 besides Lidström? The U20 forward crop is actually more promising than it's been in a long time, and there's more coming up.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
You see alot of people giving praise to Swedish d. But is not the swedish forwards very good aswell?

Gabriel Landeskog - Nicklas Bäckström - William Nylander
Filip Forsberg - Mika Zibanejad - Elias Lindholm
Elias Pettersson - William Karlsson - Andre Burakovsky
Viktor Arvidsson - Joel Eriksson Ek - Patric Hörnqvist

Maybe its the homer inside me, but i think that forward crop is top 5 in the entire world.
Given how many players Sweden produces and how many play in the NHL, I would expect the forward group to be much stronger. Sweden will just have to build from the net out.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Given how many players Sweden produces and how many play in the NHL, I would expect the forward group to be much stronger. Sweden will just have to build from the net out.

do we need it thought? i mean its always nice having forsberg, sedins, sundin, näslund, alfredsson level of players but our current forward group is still strong enough to compete in best on best. and with great d as we have and pretty good goalies aswell i would say there is a chance for gold even if canada and usa have bigger chance.

and i personally dont think holtz, raymond, eklund, lysell etc will be superstars, i expect them to be on level as filip forsberg.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
do we need it thought? i mean its always nice having forsberg, sedins, sundin, näslund, alfredsson level of players but our current forward group is still strong enough to compete in best on best. and with great d as we have and pretty good goalies aswell i would say there is a chance for gold even if canada and usa have bigger chance.

and i personally dont think holtz, raymond, eklund, lysell etc will be superstars, i expect them to be on level as filip forsberg.
I agree. Any of the Big 5 can win.

OskarOskarius

Jan 7, 2019

Czechs had Jagr and Sweden Forsberg. Have a team ever won best on best without a world class forward?

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019

Gabriel Landeskog was dropped to the second unit when Colorado wanted a win (Saad took his place). Bäckström is way over the top both age and hockey wise. The rest of the Swedish lot doesn't scar that too much to me. Except for maybe big baby Hedman - but in the Sweden squad he ain't surrounded by stars like he is in Tampa Bay Lightning.

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
ha, tommy salo likes this post. you stay the f*** out of swedish international hockey, tommy!

i like the look of the forward group, but it is far more grinder level than the last generation. the d are probably overall better, though.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Gabriel Landeskog was dropped to the second unit when Colorado wanted a win (Saad took his place). Bäckström is way over the top both age and hockey wise. The rest of the Swedish lot doesn't scar that too much to me. Except for maybe big baby Hedman - but in the Sweden squad he ain't surrounded by stars like he is in Tampa Bay Lightning.
I agree. It`s a shockingly weak forward group for Sweden - when William Nylander is on your first line, that's not good. Still, with a little luck, Sweden couple easily medal.

If I had to rank how'd I expect the Big 5 to place (on paper)...

Canada
USA
Russia
Finland
Sweden

With Canada due for a bad tournament, anything can happen.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

ehm what, swedish team is better than tampa. only vasli, kucherov, point and stamkos would make team sweden.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->