Is Stamkos a mature captain?

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
I wouldn't say Stamkos is a "mature" Captain.

I'd say he's been maturing. Along with the rest of the team he's grown into the role as the Playoffs have churned on. He was tested most in the DET series. He took a huge step forward in the MTL series and another in the NYR series.

The Bolts' window for the Cup is opening. Very few Bolts fans thought that this would be the year for them to win it all, a handful more believed they could make it to the SCF. It's all been essentially gravy since the start of the 2nd Round. Revenge was nice vs. MTL though. Every fanbase is told that their team will probably lose before they learn how to win. The brilliance of the Lightning this playoff run has been how quickly they've absorbed the lessons from each situation they've been presented with and then applied them in successive similar situations. It's been a crash course in Playoff hockey for a team that was admittedly very green(youngest in the playoffs) at the outset.

Any fan of hockey, regardless of favorite team, should be impressed with that at the very least. Will the Lightning get stomped in the SCF? Possibly. But they're a young, skilled team that has showed a propensity for learning very quickly and a willingness to do what's required to win. They're also playing with house money as the underdogs.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
He's a good guy and shows a lot of maturity at a young age like most of the great captains before him, so I'd say he's a good captain.

By the way, does he ever get angry ? I don't think I've ever seen him lose his cool.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
He's a good guy and shows a lot of maturity at a young age like most of the great captains before him, so I'd say he's a good captain.

By the way, does he ever get angry ? I don't think I've ever seen him lose his cool.

I don't know if this counts as losing his cool as I think he knew what he was doing, but this was part of his growth as a captain I suppose.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I wish his play was more consistent but when it comes to media handling, Stamkos is very well spoken, which was the complete opposite of MSL.

phosphene*

Feb 18, 2014
West Seneca
You can't be the representative of a team without some semblance of maturity, so it goes without saying. Stamkos was lauded as being a potential two-way franchise center since he was 16-17 and he's exceeded that billing. I'm sure being in the same organization as LeCavalier, St. Louis, and Yzerman at various points in his career has helped.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
He's impressed me these playoffs with his leadership. Even when he was struggling, I watched him in game 7 against Detroit work his ass off on every shift. His pregame interview yesterday morning where he was very confident seemed to carry over to the rest of the team. He also gave a speech on the bench during the last TV timeout that fired up the bench. He's been the face of the franchise for a couple years now and has developed into the leader this season.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
met someone who actually played hockey with him growing up. He said that Stamkos is the most classy individual he's ever met. He's maturity is beyond his ages, even at at time where he was considered a high profile prospect, he was nothing but a professional and great individual person.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->