Is Stamkos a mature captain?

illpucks

May 26, 2011
I watch his interviews after every game, and I am quite impressed. He seems like he is very calm and knows exactly what his team is doing well and not so well. He doesn't avoid any questions. He answers every one honestly. And he seems to be a leader that his team would look up to. He is a new captain and young but he seems to be quite good and mature at the role.

What do you think?

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
He has great interviews. There is more to being a captain, but he's got that area down well. He'd be marketed extensively by the NHL if he played in a bigger city.

Swept In Seven

Disciple of The Zook
Apr 27, 2010
Yes he is a great captain. I'm a transplant living in Tampa and I watch a ton of Rangers and games, Stamkos has matured steadily through his career. He always knew the right things to say but now he is on point, he really has the pulse of his team. It has been fun watching him become one of the best captains in the league, even if I am a bit salty about last night's loss

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Absolutely. He's got a good supporting cast of players who have been in leadership positions before also.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
i think the better question to ask are who are the non mature captains. nearly all the ones in the nhl are great speakers imo

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I mean, it's not about what he says in interviews, it's how the team responds when he speaks. That's something that we just can't know from an internet message board.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I mean, it's not about what he says in interviews, it's how the team responds when he speaks. That's something that we just can't know from an internet message board.

More importantly his play on the ice, which speaks for itself considering where the team is ATM.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
The thing I like about Stamkos' interviews is, he actually answers questions. It's like he never learned the Bull Durham cliche ******** answers or just simply refuses to use many of them.

If he went to Toronto, the NHL would **** its pants marketing him.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
I watch his interviews after every game, and I am quite impressed. He seems like he is very calm and knows exactly what his team is doing well and not so well. He doesn't avoid any questions. He answers every one honestly. And he seems to be a leader that his team would look up to. He is a new captain and young but he seems to be quite good and mature at the role.

What do you think?

Yes..... He's no Luongo lol.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
He's an amazing captain. He said "the rangers haven't played the lightning in game 7" which was gusty and the kind of bold attitude you love to see. Then he says in the dying minutes of game 7 to his team they have 1 shift left and that he believes in them. Great stuff to hear, that to me is leadership because it inspires me not just as a fan but as a person. Whatever it is I do I want to do my best right now

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
I thought Stamkos was going to be a flake when he had his terrible rookie season.... Then he scores a hattrick against the Hawks and that changed everything.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I thought Stamkos was going to be a flake when he had his terrible rookie season.... Then he scores a hattrick against the Hawks and that changed everything.

Having Barry Melrose as his coach for a full training camp/preseason/preparation probably had something to do with it.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah, I had this same epiphany when watching Stamkos after the game last night. Here's proof:

Stammers seems so mature in his interview.

Way to go Bolts!

Now go Hawks tomorrow night!

:laugh:

It's funny, he comes off as a seasoned veteran at the twilight of his career, primarily there to mentor the young players and play a supporting role, but he's still one of the premiere talents in the league and he's actually just entering his prime.

Loved what he said last night about how no one on the team cares who gets the goals or the points. I know it's slightly cliche, but the way he said it made me really feel like he meant that.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Stammer became our captain last year when Marty bailed on us. First game back after his broken leg, Marty is gone and then he was named captain. He has done well I think and he has changed his approach to the game. He not the sniper he once was and is playing more within the system. A complete player and the best guy on the team to be captain. The team just explodes when Stammer make a big hit. He is only 25 years old.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I think he's still growing into that role but he's progressed so much in this postseason.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
He does seem to love posting up hat tricks against the Hawks.

If the Hawks can advance that won't be an issue - this isn't the regular season this would be the SCF and the Hawks will take care of Stamkos really quick unless on the PP unless he becomes a Patrick Kane type player instead of an Ovechken sniper.

He's just not going to stand around or be allowed to be open to snipe goals.... Yeah, that works in the east but not the west.... What a player can get away with in the east will not happen in the west.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
If the Hawks can advance that won't be an issue - this isn't the regular season this would be the SCF and the Hawks will take care of Stamkos really quick unless on the PP unless he becomes a Patrick Kane type player instead of an Ovechken sniper.

He's just not going to stand around or be allowed to be open to snipe goals.... Yeah, that works in the east but not the west.... What a player can get away with in the east will not happen in the west.

It's almost like IAMREALITY has a Hawks HF persona, hehe. I grew up watching the best promo man in Wrestling and the best Hype Man in HipHop. Your posts are some serious weak tea =p.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
It's almost like IAMREALITY has a Hawks HF persona, hehe. I grew up watching the best promo man in Wrestling and the best Hype Man in HipHop. Your posts are some serious weak tea =p.

This whole Western superiority thing has gone way overboard. I feel as if the Lightning are going to absolutely run all over the Blackhawks. Their top 4 is going to be shot and if TKO is out on the ice for even half a second against Cumiskey/Rundblad/Timonen that puck is in the back of the net.

The Lightning overwhelmed Lundqvist. I shudder to think what happens against Crawford.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->