Is Sparks starting?

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
Detroit would be a real good time to give Sparks his next start. He needs to get back in quick to have a chance regain some confidence. Detroit is not a high scoring team and their defense should be carved up by our boys like a turkey.

Reactions: Mork

Jimclar

Oct 4, 2018
Agree with AlLeafNation above. Try to get Sparks in a groove. Against the Wings high be good for him. Gives Andersen a day off, I admit he doesn't really need it now, but Sparks and to get NHL confident.

Reactions: Mork

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Agree with AlLeafNation above. Try to get Sparks in a groove. Against the Wings high be good for him. Gives Andersen a day off, I admit he doesn't really need it now, but Sparks and to get NHL confident.

He's a backup. Teams don't put any effort for backup goalie's feelings. His job is to perform well he goes in. If he can't perform he's out ala Enroth.

Some people don't seem to realise that backup's role is very harsh one. Teams focus on their stars and try to make them as comfortable as possible. No one cares about 13th forward, 8th D or backup. Even if backup is GM's adopted son.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
We don't play another back to back until the 9th/10th of November. Looking at our schedule this might be the best opponent to give Sparks a chance against between now and then.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Agreed, give him the start and allow him to hopefully build some confidence back. If not you're looking at another month before B2B games.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
We need to give him some starts so we can decide if we need to keep him around.

Personally, I don't think he's a good NHL goalie but he's earned the chance to prove what he is.
That cannot be done sitting on the bench.
And we can't be over playing Fred again.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
The Leafs next back-to-back is mid-November.

It would be nice to see Sparks in at least 1 start before that.

If October Andersen continues, why not?

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
So is the plan to play Andersen 69 games and the back up 13 games?

That's not a good plan. Perhaps Andersen gets worn again this year too.

Anyone have any idea what the goalie deployment strategy is...is there one?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
So is the plan to play Andersen 69 games and the back up 13 games?

That's not a good plan. Perhaps Andersen gets worn again this year too.

Anyone have any idea what the goalie deployment strategy is...is there one?
You’d have to believe there is a strategy for this like there is for everything else that they do. I don’t believe it’s been made public nor would I expect it to be.

Reactions: Liminality

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
You’d have to believe there is a strategy for this like there is for everything else that they do. I don’t believe it’s been made public nor would I expect it to be.

I think Babcock will play Andersen if we are in a division race. So it looks like he is wearing out Andersen again this year.

We can't have him waste another season...can we?

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
He's a professional.

He knows his limits

Babcock lets him make the call.

Play Sparks more when the games don't count in March.

Players have proven time and again that they want to play injured. They cannot make this call.

March is when Babcock specifically will play Andersen. Last year because we mathematically could have caught Boston, we were playing Andersen. There was no chance in us catching them yet Babcock didn't rest Andersen for the playoffs.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think Babcock will play Andersen if we are in a division race. So it looks like he is wearing out Andersen again this year.

We can't have him waste another season...can we?
I expect he will play him in all the meaningful games. What is considered the normal workload for a starter?

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Players have proven time and again that they want to play injured. They cannot make this call.

March is when Babcock specifically will play Andersen. Last year because we mathematically could have caught Boston, we were playing Andersen. There was no chance in us catching them yet Babcock didn't rest Andersen for the playoffs.
So let's complain about it in March right?
Until then you're assuming they have no goalie rotation strategy which is weird.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
So let's complain about it in March right?
Until then you're assuming they have no goalie rotation strategy which is weird.

We did complain about it March, last March. And it looks like the same strategy this year too.

The goalie rotation was back up plays the second of back to backs. That means only 13 games this year. Which means Andersen is scheduled for 69 games.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
We did complain about it March, last March. And it looks like the same strategy this year too.

The goalie rotation was back up plays the second of back to backs. That means only 13 games this year. Which means Andersen is scheduled for 69 games.
Starting goalies are supposed to play 60+ games a season. Heck iirc broduer played over 70 games a season regularly

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Starting goalies are supposed to play 60+ games a season. Heck iirc broduer played over 70 games a season regularly

Jersey trapped and didnt let alot of SA. Also that was a different era of hockey.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
The plan is clear. Sparks gets minimal starts this year. Especially early in the year to help reduce the risk of this whole Sparks NHL experiment. This experiment could provide important information about our future goalie situation but it is risky in that Sparks doesn't look like a shoe in for the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad