Is Sparks starting?

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
We play ~14 back to backs, Sparks or the back up goalies should play these games. However it's not enough.

We know:
1. Babcock will play Andersen down the stretch if we are in a division race.
2. Andersen doesn't have the greatest October's.
3. Andersen overall needs to play less this season to rest up for the playoffs.

Why shouldn't Sparks play Ottawa and a couple of other bottom feeders to get up to 20 starts this season?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
We play ~14 back to backs, Sparks or the back up goalies should play these games. However it's not enough.

We know:
1. Babcock will play Andersen down the stretch if we are in a division race.
2. Andersen doesn't have the greatest October's.
3. Andersen overall needs to play less this season to rest up for the playoffs.

Why shouldn't Sparks play Ottawa and a couple of other bottom feeders to get up to 20 starts this season?

No way you play Sparks on Saturday.

As garbage as the Sens are, they are still in your division so you should see them as your direct competition.

Also, have your best foot forward to get the points you should easily get, and worry about the back-to-back stuff later.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Why don't we just take it game by game? Why does "20 starts" have to be a number he has to hit? Babcock and the goalie coach will decide.

Reactions: iSophagus

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He'll play in Chicago Sunday, which is his hometown.

As for the other starts, it will depend on a lot of different factors.

Reactions: exporta

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Babcock likes to play his #1 heavily, and Andersen likes to play a lot of games. If the coach and player are OK with it, and prefer it, it's going to be pretty hard to do anything else.

We can go ahead and put Sparks' name on the schedule for the 2nd game of every B2B. Any more games than that will happen when Andersen/Babcock/Briere* decide they're required.

* i'll be honest. i had to google who our goalie coach is.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Sparks will start in Chicago as is the pattern. And we probably won't see him start another game until November.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Right now, we can figure he sees the back half of the back-to-backs if Babcock maintains status quo. Guess it'll be situational if he plays more than that. In a way too, I can see where looking at the schedule and knowing when your turn comes up can help with being prepared. Easier said than done I know, but Andersen facing fewer shots per start could help with him being better rested for the playoffs too.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
He'll start Sunday and go from there. If he does well, he'll play again shortly.

If he plays poor, he won't play till the November b2b

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
In 4 years here as a coach, Babcock has always iced his best lineup in game 1 of the back to back - he's never started his backup on night 1.

So Andersen will get Ottawa on Saturday, and Sparks will get Chicago on Sunday.

I think it'll be easier for Sparks to start away. He's also from the Chicago area, so it'll be a nice gesture for him as well.

member 262271

On first glance I thought this thread was "Is Sparks eating?" Wow do I need more sleep. A nice mothering thread once in awhile would do this place a bit of good though.

Reactions: FADYB and Tak7

ICECOLDBEER

Apr 2, 2017
I made the same point about Anderson needing some rest and people pointed out a lot of other good goalies start a similar amount of games. It's a fair point. I just feel like the Leafs give up too many shots and if we had a backup that was solid Anderson could play a few less games and be fresh for playoffs.

I also mentioned that Babcock never really trusted Mac and they countered saying that he 100% trusted Mac. I guess he did but I just think that if he really did Babcock would have started him more. Anderson must want all these games. Maybe it was just me but Mac made me nervous although his stats were solid.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I made the same point about Anderson needing some rest and people pointed out a lot of other good goalies start a similar amount of games. It's a fair point. I just feel like the Leafs give up too many shots and if we had a backup that was solid Anderson could play a few less games and be fresh for playoffs.

I also mentioned that Babcock never really trusted Mac and they countered saying that he 100% trusted Mac. I guess he did but I just think that if he really did Babcock would have started him more. Anderson must want all these games. Maybe it was just me but Mac made me nervous although his stats were solid.

You aren't wrong.

The problem with the "Andersen starts just as many times as other starters in the league" argument, is that those other starters didn't face anywhere near as many pucks as Freddie did.

Also - on 2 occasions last season, Andersen looked completely worn out. He then completely ran out of gas in the playoffs.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
sparks is literally a shakier less talented reimer. Just think about that for a second.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Mac never made me nervous. He gained my trust after robbing Crosby. Sparks makes me paranoid

Are you a goalie as well? Honestly I hate him (as a goalie that is, he's a great guy from what I hear) and I played/studied the position for a decade+, I just don't think some players truly grasp how awful he is from a technical perspective.

It's crazy that a 35 year old journeyman vet literally beats him in all technical aspects and he even proved last year that he could do more than well. We are in win now situation and I think this move is a disaster, not because I am sure Mac could carry us to a cup or anything like that, but his chances are 100000x better than what I've seen from Sparks.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
yea I think Dubas really blew this one ... I will be surprised if Sparks is on the Leafs after xmass.
who the f*** cares about who our 2 goalie is in 3 years..... theres always guys like halak around for cheap. Big mistake there.

Reactions: Mork

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I can't say I love the kids technique but he's been great in the minors and deserves his shot to prove his worth to the organization

Best of luck Sparks, I hope it goes really well for you
And us

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Sparks or who ever should be starting 5 games. If Babs doesn't trust him, fine, don't play him from Feb-April unless its a back to back situation.

However, he should be playing 3 games minimum per month from October-January. It should be part of Babcocks job to find 2 games in October, 1 in December, and 2 in January for Sparks(or another back-up) to play that aren't back to back situations.

October 1 back to back
November 3 back to backs
December 2 back to backs
January 1 back to back
February 3 back to backs
March 2 back to backs
April 1 back to back

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Why shouldn’t Sparks start in Detroit? Leafs are scoring, teams are still playing loose as it is October, and Detroit is a bottom feeder.

This is a perfect game for Sparks to start. If Babcock can’t play Sparks for a game like this, when can he play him? And we will again waste the season by playing Andersen too much in the regular season.

Reactions: Mork and Jimclar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad