Is Skill Overrated when it comes to the playoffs ?

ChillWill1

Nov 28, 2017
Ok you guys I know this maybe a dumb thread/question. But is skill really that important when it’s comes to playoff hockey ? I mean you need of some sort of skill on your team; but do you really need guys like Kucherov or Gaudreau on your team to succeed or go deep in the playoffs? I maybe wrong but it seems their style of play doesn’t resonate to playoff hockey. What I’m really trying to see is I know speed and skill has taken over the NHL but I think playing a heavy physical game with a little speed and skill will win you playoff games. And Colorado has that a combination of both. I know this is mess but what are you guys take on this ?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I think the "cute" skill isnt for the playoffs. Guys that have raw talent like speed and elite shooting ability can carry success. If a guy needs ample time and space to make plays. It will be taken away. I'm shocked at Kucherov as he's a guy who should have killed it. He's a total package player. I dont know what went wrong there. That was a team that wasnt willing to go to war.

One guy I'm always amazed at is Kane. He's tiny, not exactly "fast" but he just destroys teams no matter what.

I hate to say it, but we kind of see it with Tarasenko. He takes way too much time to pick his shot. He'd benefit from emulating Matthews. That puck is on and off his stick so fast

Reactions: ChillWill1

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
It's all about the mix and where the meta game is currently. I would argue that the Blues could use some more skill in their lineup as our issue has been timely scoring and powerplay effectiveness more so than physicality.

At the end of the day, the playoffs require luck, and I think luck is largely underrated.

It's not like CBJ DOESN'T have skill. The same goes with Colorado. I wouldn't argue that those are good examples to justify that skill is overrated. In fact, I would argue that Colorado has ONLY skill outside of a ton of role players and things going right. Calgary didn't have the defense to contain Colorado's top line, and Colorado managed to contain Gaudreau. CBJ had the defense and goaltending to stop Tampa, and Tampa didn't have the defense and goaltending to stop CBJ (in a short series). Could Calgary and Tampa have beaten them in a longer series? Sure, and maybe probably, but in a small sample size a one-line team like COL and a force like CBJ (seriously, they don't get enough credit) can win.

This isn't a Little Giants situation. COL has probably the best line in hockey, and CBJ has arguably the best team in hockey short of Tampa on paper (and I've thought that was debatable since the TDL).

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
IF anything, I think "Power Forwards" are the ones that get over-rated in the PO's.
Other than Shanahan(who radically changed his style of play over the course of his career); I honestly can't think of a single Power Forward that actually had a good reputation in the PO's.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
It's all about the mix and where the meta game is currently. I would argue that the Blues could use some more skill in their lineup as our issue has been timely scoring and powerplay effectiveness more so than physicality.

At the end of the day, the playoffs require luck, and I think luck is largely underrated.

It's not like CBJ DOESN'T have skill. The same goes with Colorado. I wouldn't argue that those are good examples to justify that skill is overrated. In fact, I would argue that Colorado has ONLY skill outside of a ton of role players and things going right. Calgary didn't have the defense to contain Colorado's top line, and Colorado managed to contain Gaudreau. CBJ had the defense and goaltending to stop Tampa, and Tampa didn't have the defense and goaltending to stop CBJ (in a short series). Could Calgary and Tampa have beaten them in a longer series? Sure, and maybe probably, but in a small sample size a one-line team like COL and a force like CBJ (seriously, they don't get enough credit) can win.

This isn't a Little Giants situation. COL has probably the best line in hockey, and CBJ has arguably the best team in hockey short of Tampa on paper (and I've thought that was debatable since the TDL).

There’s always a certain amount of puck luck in any hockey game. A team can get lucky and win a game here or there. No team wins 16 games in the playoffs to hoist the Cup because of luck.

Is skill overrated? No.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I hate to say it, but we kind of see it with Tarasenko. He takes way too much time to pick his shot. He'd benefit from emulating Matthews. That puck is on and off his stick so fast.
I agree, and I wouldn’t limit that just to him. I feel like we have enough raw skill, we just need a little more urgency in knowing when and how to use it. A good shot you can get off quickly, before the D and the goalie are ready, will almost always be more effective than waiting to find a great shot and allowing the opponent time to react. Now don’t get me started on our passing and outlet selection...
It's all about the mix...
I think it was Easton, but if it was someone else I apologize, but this was brought up in another thread when the topic was (I believe) toughness. You can’t afford to be one dimensional as a team, because eventually the other team figures out how to shut that down, especially in a playoff series. You need to be multi dimensional enough to be able to play the game you need to play, especially when you need to adjust in game, and you need to be able to adapt when the opponent adjusts their game. Winning at this level really requires a decent amount of speed, physicality, anticipation, drive and puck luck. Teams that can beat you in multiple ways (forechecking, cycling, off the rush) and can stop you in multiple ways (back checking, quick outlets and counter attacking) are ones that tend to go far when they have to beat the same team 4 times to move on. That, and you need good goaltending.

Reactions: Dbrownss

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
No...

no team has ever won without having elite skill.

That said, your skill guys can’t play soft. They need to go to the dirty areas and not dive all over the place.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
IF anything, I think "Power Forwards" are the ones that get over-rated in the PO's.
Other than Shanahan(who radically changed his style of play over the course of his career); I honestly can't think of a single Power Forward that actually had a good reputation in the PO's.
Messier, Neely, Lindros, Kevin Stevens, Shanahan, and Iginla (if you count him) are the ones that come to mind for me. Wendel Clark as well. Some consider guys like Ovechkin, Roberts, and LeClair power forwards. Not old enough to remember earlier generations (Howe, or even Gilles, etc.)

I agree with your general point, though, especially in today's game now that the worm has turned a bit. The very definition of the term has evolved to the point where those talking about power forwards 15-20 years ago wouldn't even consider today's crop for the title, and it's very hard to think of one that's really impacted the current generation in the ways that guys in previous generations made their marks.

I certainly get the appeal of the breed, both to fans and hockey people alike, but they're just not that important right now.

MoPucks

Feb 3, 2009
Stl
Bertuzzi was pretty damn good pre-incident.

Lucic until recently was a good power forward in the playoffs for Boston.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad