Is Setogouchi a Dark Horse to win Calder?

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
In response to the 2nd most recent post:
Haha, funny joke... He was hurt during training camp and it led into the season as well. He wasnt even practicing. Maybe that had something to it you think?

In response to the most recent post:

I hope they beat the Giants too and that somehow the hitmen can beat the tigers so i can see Seto in the dome. As for it being a 3 week hot streak? Try a 2 month hot streak. Take a look at his stats over the last two months, Id guess its something like 54 points in his last 30ish games. Of those 54ish points you can bank on it that at least 28-30 are goals. I think its almost certain that he was hurt the beginning of the year as shown in his very consistent production lately.
hey calm down I like Setoguchi, I was just poking fun at SJ fans crappy hindsight (not that mine or anyone else's is any better)

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
I watched him in Saskatoon the previous seasons and he is the best foward to come through our system in quite some time. This guy is a gamebraker and is pretty clutch, always produces in the playoffs. Its just a shame the Blades couldn't put together a competetive roster while he was around.

what other skilled blue chip forwards have the blades produced recently ? umm none. and if you say colton gillies then slap yourself cause i said bluechip and skilled.

BladesOfTeal

Dec 7, 2006
Davis, CA
I can see Pavelski as nice trade bait this offseason. If the Sharks do in fact decide to trade a goalie, Pavelski added in the deal could bring in quite a return. If that happens, a spot is open for someone to steal, IMO.

The problem with this lies in that the Sharks org is not comfortably deep at C past Pavelski, as Mitchell's not close yet, and Iggulden (despite high hopes) is showing no indications of making the jump.

With the possibility of either Marleau or Thornton gone in the near future, I don't think that Pavelski will be tossed around lightly.

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
He is a great goal scorer...and he isn't getting gift wrapped goals from Joe either...so don't make this out like it's all because of him.

IMO, Setoguchi is just the kind of player Thornton needs on his wing. He gets open and knows how to put the puck in the net....

pdxshark

Apr 26, 2006
Portland, OR
He is a great goal scorer...and he isn't getting gift wrapped goals from Joe either...so don't make this out like it's all because of him.

IMO, Setoguchi is just the kind of player Thornton needs on his wing. He gets open and knows how to put the puck in the net....

dare I say a "more talented cheechoo"?

Watch his highlights, he isn't getting gift goals, his first goal against pheonix should be a play of the week!

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
If he remains in the bigs which he should I would definitely give him a shot at the Calder, hes gotta keep it up but hes showing hes a hell of a player.

cheechoo train

#playoff_fail
Jan 8, 2007
San Jose
i love his play. he has definitely fit well into that 4th line spot we put him in, especially since he should have only been a 3rd round pick with limited skills.

joe thornton = best 4th line player in the game.

:sarcasm:

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
Here we go I found the thread, Im guessing Seto isnt a darkhorse anymore

He is still a darkhorse. At his current rate, he might end up with the most goals amongst rookies at the end of the year, but he won't even come close to the total points that Kane will have and I think that determines the Calder winner. The only chance he can win is if he pots 50 goals which ain't gonna happen.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
The kid creates goals outta nothing. And I agree with Sharks fans - he's not riding Thornton's coattails.

Will he win Calder? I doubt it because Toews is simply too good.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
The kid creates goals outta nothing. And I agree with Sharks fans - he's not riding Thornton's coattails.

Will he win Calder? I doubt it because Toews is simply too good.

And Kane's even better.

Well, maybe...

Round John

Sep 9, 2003
Visit site
what other skilled blue chip forwards have the blades produced recently ? umm none. and if you say colton gillies then slap yourself cause i said bluechip and skilled.

Sometimes dannoabram I think when you see the world only through green and yellow glasses it doesn't help you see the forest for the trees. The Raiders and Blades have both had a pretty poor last twenty years in producing NHL blue chip forwards. The Raiders have Hartnell and that's debatable (in my opinion injuries have limited his effectiveness, not talent), the Blades have Erat and now Setoguchi. Like I said neither team has much to crow about. And I have to ask as I am curious what's with your constant Gillies bashing? I would wish any kid who has a shot at the show, despite my personal opinion of them, the best.

WalterSobchak

Blues Trololol
Mar 11, 2004
Where men chunder
www.larddesigns.com
1. Patrick Kane (Chi) 21
2. Jonathan Toews (Chi) 14
3. Andrew Cogliano (Edm) 11
4. Sam Gagner (Edm) 8
Daniel Carcillo (Phx) 8
Tobias Enstrom (Atl) 8
Steven Wagner (StL) 8
Martin Hanzal (Phx) 8
Peter Mueller (Phx) 8
Nicklas Backstrom (Wsh) 8
11. Devin Setoguchi (SJ) 7
Bryan Little (Atl) 7
David Perron (StL) 7
14. Torrey Mitchell (SJ) 6
15. Tom Gilbert (Edm) 5
Nigel Dawes (NYR) 5
David Clarkson (NJ) 5
18. Drew Miller (Ana) 4
Mike Lundin (TB) 4
Matt Niskanen (Dal) 4
James Sheppard (Min) 4
Jiri Tlusty (Tor) 4
Erik Johnson (StL) 4
etcetcetc

He's as much a darkhorse as those top 18 IMO, but Kane and Toews are running away with it right now. To be fair, Barret Jackman won the Calder in 02/03 with 19 pts and he beat out Zetterberg with 44 pts so points are not the be-all and end-all for Calder winners. How important a player is to his team and how acclimated a player is to the NHL in his first year is much more important.

Though, as a Blues fan, I can conceed that they needed a recount on that years Calder winner. I can fully admit if it came down to having Z or J on my team, I'd pick Z 7.5 times out of 10.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->