Is Setogouchi a Dark Horse to win Calder?

snaggle toof

Aug 29, 2006
Sharks fans - do you think he'll be on the team's play-off roster?

When his season is over I think he will be brought up to get a taste of the playoff atmosphere, however I would be quite suprised to see him get any Ice time. I also think Wishart will be treated in the same manner.

poppap527

Aug 3, 2006
setoguchi isnt anything special.3rd 4th liner at most if he ever makes the nhl. on this year he has done ok as a 20 year old on a ****** team. hes getting lots of minutes so he should put #s like that up. Team canada staff obviously saw nothing in him when they cut him 1st cuts. plus his bday is jan 1 allowing him to play as almost an overage. they took an 18 year old 3rd rounder pee wee herman instead of him.hes also got a really bad ego and is very selfich. i dont see this kid living up to his expectations that he had years ago.

didnt they also cut vlasic? the guys been sj's best Dmen all year and at 20.
yea good choices

LWD

Apr 2, 2006
ya im Pejorative Slured because i had a typo when ur the Pejorative Slured one beacuse u think that devon had a hope to make it to the nhl

Why the hate on for Setoguchi? What's your problem?

oiler-dude

Quick update!

Setogouchi scored 2 goals last night, and was dangerous the whole game, almost getting the 'trick. He's been a star in every game of the 2nd round, and at least 1 other game in the first round.

He's leading the Cougars in goals with 8, and points with 14. This is in 8 games. Devin has been outstanding so far in the playoffs, I wouldn't be surprised if he made the NHL next season, but it would probably be in a more limited role.

Luongownage

Kassian? #epicfail
Jan 20, 2005
Terrace, BC
I get to watch him all the time on the Cougars. Very competitive and fast forward, a little small, but should fit in well with the sharks system. Likes to shoot the puck, a scoring forward. I think maybe if he fills out a little and a little help from Jumbo joe you guys could have a really good calder candidate here....

He is having a great playoffs too.....

spintheblackcircle

Incoming!
Mar 1, 2002
I get to watch him all the time on the Cougars. Very competitive and fast forward, a little small, but should fit in well with the sharks system. Likes to shoot the puck, a scoring forward. I think maybe if he fills out a little and a little help from Jumbo joe you guys could have a really good calder candidate here....

He is having a great playoffs too.....

Who would you compare him to? Morrow without the edge?

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
he has a big wing span?

Is he a really Feisty foward?

Jordin Tootoo wiht a scoring touch?

Comparing him to Jordin Tootoo would be a slap in the face!

Setoguchi is a machine out there right now for the Cougars! He is head and shoulders above everyone on the ice, including Peter Mueller and Zach Hamill, who led the WHL in scoring in the regular season! The kid makes you go WOW, dare I say every shift, but at least once or twice a period. He can stickhandle in a phone booth and when he turns it on, his first four steps are as fast as anyone I have ever seen! He's gone in an instant! To go with the speed is a rocket of a shot and the ability to let the thing go at any moment, whether he's in full stride or dangling around 2 or 3 guys. He's really something to watch right now! Now, if you think he is just a flashy, hot shot, no contact type of player out there, you are completely wrong. Although he is no Jordin Tootoo in the hits department, the kid takes the body and crashes in the corners with anyone. Kamloops head coach, Dean Clark, called Setoguchi the best player in the WHL after PG swept Kamloops in the 1st round of the WHL playoffs earlier this month. Setoguchi currently leads the WHL playoffs in scoring, tied w/Mueller, but having played in less games than everyone else.

AgentNaslund*

San Jose has too much depth to even insert Setogouchi inth their line up. HOw the hell is he gonna win a Calder is beyond me.

superpie

Aug 24, 2006
San Jose
I doubt that we will sign Guerin because in that year we are in a Free agency jam..So if we are really conservative in the free agency market and put home grown players in the roster its a plus, because of their entry contracts...so im guessing that there will be room for seto

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
He's a good chance at AHL rookie of the year, but the combonation of slow progress and San Jose's depth means he'll likely start the year in the A. His playoffs should be a strong spot of hope for Sharks fans though. Problem is, his game isn't developped enough for 3rd or 4th line play and his offence isn't strong enough to surplant Cheechoo or Bernier. The A is, IMO, the best thing for him.

Sinistrophobia

Dec 3, 2006
San Jose has too much depth to even insert Setogouchi inth their line up. HOw the hell is he gonna win a Calder is beyond me.

I don't think he will, but if he has an insane camp and makes the team(like Vlasic, although he was under different circumstances), he could play himself up to a scoring role.

Guerin most likely won't be there. The line of Clowe-Goc-Bernier looks amazing and is currently the 4th line.

Michalek-Thornton-Cheechoo
?-Marleau-? - The question marks could go to Bell(hope not), Pavelski(I'm not too big on him), a FA, or come from within. With the Sharks trying to shed as much money as possible to try and make room for Thornton and Marleau, I don't really see a top 6 forward being signed.

I can see Pavelski as nice trade bait this offseason. If the Sharks do in fact decide to trade a goalie, Pavelski added in the deal could bring in quite a return. If that happens, a spot is open for someone to steal, IMO.

I don't know how successful he could be if he were to play next year and I certainly wouldn't consider him a Calder favorite, but there's a chance he could make the team.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
Another strong night by Setoguchi tonight, 1+2 in a series clinching win by PG to move onto the West semis.

Seto now has 10 goals, 8 assists in just 10 games. He has also recorded at least 1 pt in every playoff game so far.

Inconsistent? Not when it matters at least...

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
i am in no way a setoguchi fan but right now is the best hockey this kid has every played. and his defensive liabilities right now are unnoticeable (since the pucks never in his end when he is on the ice)
its just a 3 week hot streak but good on him for #1 stepping up when hunter was lost to a broken ankle, #2 for crunch time when it counts. im hoping pg knocks off the giants

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
In response to the 2nd most recent post:
Haha, funny joke... He was hurt during training camp and it led into the season as well. He wasnt even practicing. Maybe that had something to it you think?

In response to the most recent post:

I hope they beat the Giants too and that somehow the hitmen can beat the tigers so i can see Seto in the dome. As for it being a 3 week hot streak? Try a 2 month hot streak. Take a look at his stats over the last two months, Id guess its something like 54 points in his last 30ish games. Of those 54ish points you can bank on it that at least 28-30 are goals. I think its almost certain that he was hurt the beginning of the year as shown in his very consistent production lately.

superpie

Aug 24, 2006
San Jose
In response to the 2nd most recent post:
Haha, funny joke... He was hurt during training camp and it led into the season as well. He wasnt even practicing. Maybe that had something to it you think?

In response to the most recent post:

I hope they beat the Giants too and that somehow the hitmen can beat the tigers so i can see Seto in the dome. As for it being a 3 week hot streak? Try a 2 month hot streak. Take a look at his stats over the last two months, Id guess its something like 54 points in his last 30ish games. Of those 54ish points you can bank on it that at least 28-30 are goals. I think its almost certain that he was hurt the beginning of the year as shown in his very consistent production lately.

Give me Info about the series against the Giants

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
I watched him in Saskatoon the previous seasons and he is the best foward to come through our system in quite some time. This guy is a gamebraker and is pretty clutch, always produces in the playoffs. Its just a shame the Blades couldn't put together a competetive roster while he was around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->