Is Setogouchi a Dark Horse to win Calder?

superpie

Aug 24, 2006
San Jose
If he makes the team and we lose Guerin to free agency is there a chance that he will win the Calder?

Cheechoo-Thornton-Michalek
Seto-Marleau-Pavelski
Bernier-Bell-Clowe
Grier-Goc-Brown

If he does make the team he fits right in perfectly

Could someone give me a more detailed scouting report on this guy?

All i know is that he is clutch in the PO

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
From what I hear around here, he's a dark horse to make the roster.

Mr_Jones*

Setoguchi has as much chance to win the Calder as I do.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
At this point Setoguchi is a very safe bet to make the NHL in some capacity. Setoguchi will take a long time to develop however...if he has a high ceiling; 70-80 points per season, its going to take him 3-4 years to get at that stage. He may even take longer like Patrick Marleau. But from the start, Setoguchi is going to play well in the playoffs, as he has proven year after year. I know its cliche, but he severely elevates his game when its important. I could definitely see him finishing 9th or 10th in overall rookie scoring during the regular season only to finish first or second in rookie scoring during the playoffs. If he can even establish himself as a third-line player, I think he can be a ppg player in the playoffs, and he will always be mentioned as a team's playoff MVP. For this clutch ability alone, Setoguchi is going to be overvalued.

friction

5-14-6-1
Nov 17, 2003
Calgary
I could definitely see him finishing 9th or 10th in overall rookie scoring during the regular season only to finish first or second in rookie scoring during the playoffs.

Well yeah, because all of the GOOD rookies are on crappy teams that won't make the playoffs anyway.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
I am not sure. Personally Setoguchi is one of my favorite prospects but do not see him as the player who will shine. Do not see the 1st line player more a 2nd/3rd liner. Very good one though who will just be solid all around. Bring some grit, defense, scoring, leadership.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
Have any of you who posted in this thread even paid attention to this guys career? What a bunch of hog wash there is in this thread so far. The guy has scored 46 pts in his last 26 games in the WHL. Of those points 26 are goals. So a goal a game for the last 26 games.

Not to mention hes scoring at an unreal pace in playoffs. The guy is having a fine season, whereas any so-so prospect watcher would think hes having a bad year. He scored the same amount of goals as last year in 10 fewer games. Anyways he for sure is considered a dark horse for the calder. Him making the team depends on the signings the Sharks make. They wont have him up unless he can play top two lines.

Thanks for all the insightful posts guys, Ill take down names and disregard your guys posts about setoguchi from here on out. Thanks.

X-SHARKIE

He said dark horse... not favorite.

Obviously I wear teal shaded glasses but even before the draft I liked Setoguchi for his dynamic combonation of quickness and hand skill to go a long with some of the best finishing ability to come from the WHL since Lupul. Not to mention he can be a feisty player away from the puck.

He's inconsistent but maybe playing in the NHL will light the fire under him every night? It's possible.

I see Bernier making the top 6 next year before Setoguchi though and the Sharks will probably have him start in Worcester next season and receive top line minutes instead of 3rd-4th line minutes in San Jose next season.

Cyclops II*

From what I hear around here, he's a dark horse to make the roster.

He palyed well enough to make the team as an 18 year old but they sent him to junior for more seasoning. He might have made the team this season if he hadn't missed training camp with an injury. He may have to start the season in Worcester because of the Sharks depth at forward even if he ready for the NHL.

oiler-dude

I was at the last PG Cougars game, and I must say Setogouchi was a dominant force that game. Granted, I don't watch many games, but he was very noticable on the ice. Scored 2 goals (including the OT winner to clinche the series) and had numerous other chances, including a magnificent shorthanded breakaway.

Seto really impressed me. I'll try to remember to fill you in after the April 11 Cougars game, I'll be at that one as well.

superpie

Aug 24, 2006
San Jose
I was at the last PG Cougars game, and I must say Setogouchi was a dominant force that game. Granted, I don't watch many games, but he was very noticable on the ice. Scored 2 goals (including the OT winner to clinche the series) and had numerous other chances, including a magnificent shorthanded breakaway.

Seto really impressed me. I'll try to remember to fill you in after the April 11 Cougars game, I'll be at that one as well.

tell me how his next game gos oiler dude

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
im not too big on setoguchi
the sharks traded three picks to move up to draft him. marc staal and ondrej paveloc and another. personally he might be ok but im doubtful he would win a calder. and also JJ might be a forerunner at this point

TrappedInFullerton

Murray SMASH
Apr 19, 2006
If he makes the team and we lose Guerin to free agency is there a chance that he will win the Calder?

Cheechoo-Thornton-Michalek
Seto-Marleau-Pavelski
Bernier-Bell-Clowe
Grier-Goc-Brown

If he does make the team he fits right in perfectly

Could someone give me a more detailed scouting report on this guy?

All i know is that he is clutch in the PO

superpie, you're all kinds of backwards with that lineup... you have all the wingers on the wrong sides! :shakehead lol Otherwise, I have to agree with Eb0la11. Not to be a homer, but to those that have paid attention to what he's been doing this season, he definitely could be a dark horse Calder canidate. He suffered through a leg injury through the start of the season, got traded, and had his coach fired (so he had 3 coaches this season making him have to learn 3 different systems in one season over a short amount of playing time because of his injury). If he can get his act together and play every game and not take nights off, he'll definitely make the team next year (specially if Guerin doesn't resign). Sharks need all the RW's they can get.

Last edited:

sandbox

Nov 6, 2005
hes a darkhorse to not be a bust

What do you really know anyways? Have you actually seen him play?

The guy reminds me of Igi did back in the day. Good hands, great shot, good howie, hits like a tank, strong on his feet.

I would say that many people will be suprised next season. Have you seen what hes doing in the playoffs for PG. PG isnt even a good team. But Seto has scored 3 OT goals in their 1st playoff series and was 2 in the playoffs in scoring after 4 games (obviously dropped a bit because they swept the series and other players played 7 games).

Hes been the hottest player in the WHL for the last 3 months and only has his knee injury to blame for a slow start. I can't stand people making judgements based on maybe the 1 time they saw him on tv. ANd dont even tell me youve seen him play a lot, cuz if you ahd you wouldnt have said that. There is a reason SJ took him 8th overall and traded up to get him, they arent dumb.

bergy37*

setoguchi isnt anything special.3rd 4th liner at most if he ever makes the nhl. on this year he has done ok as a 20 year old on a ****** team. hes getting lots of minutes so he should put #s like that up. Team canada staff obviously saw nothing in him when they cut him 1st cuts. plus his bday is jan 1 allowing him to play as almost an overage. they took an 18 year old 3rd rounder pee wee herman instead of him.hes also got a really bad ego and is very selfich. i dont see this kid living up to his expectations that he had years ago.

sandbox

Nov 6, 2005
setoguchi isnt anything special.3rd 4th liner at most if he ever makes the nhl. on this year he has done ok as a 20 year old on a ****** team. hes getting lots of minutes so he should put #s like that up. Team canada staff obviously saw nothing in him when they cut him 1st cuts. plus his bday is jan 1 allowing him to play as almost an overage. they took an 18 year old 3rd rounder pee wee herman instead of him.hes also got a really bad ego and is very selfich. i dont see this kid living up to his expectations that he had years ago.

Once again another post with no understanding...He was freakin injured...the same injury which made teemu Selanne put up 36 points in a full season when his career average is over 80 a season...You also must not play hockey to know how much a knee injury effects you..

BritSabre

Feb 10, 2006
Reading, UK

Urrr...What?! He was traded by the Blades and was upset to leave the team and the fans. To me thats heart and dedication!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->