Is Scotty Upshall our best off season pickup?

rivermanfan

Oct 19, 2015
Scotty Upshall has really impressed me so far this season. He hits, hustles on the puck, shows some offensive ability and sticks up for his teammates. I wasn't too excited when we picked him up, but I've liked what I've seen so far. Thoughts...

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I guess, define best. Most efficient pickup, but Brouwer is the best overall player that we got. Parayko might be the best new player on the team.

I hope we resign Upshall for next season as Ott's replacement.

Last edited:

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Short answer: no, I'd say that out of the new guys, Brouwer has been the biggest contributor. Parayko too...but not sure if he counts since he was an internal add.

As for Upshall himself, I've been impressed. He's a solid player and always has been. He was tied as Florida's leading scorer as recently as two seasons ago (not overly impressive when you look at their roster that season but still...). His main detriment is that he's had quite a few injuries in his career...mostly because of his all effort, balls to the wall style. He's been healthy for a while now though so I think he could really help us. He's a perfect 3rd liner IMO. I'm pretty shocked we were able to get that quality of player on a PTO/eventual two-way deal.

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
in terms of UFA, don't forget about Brodziak either. He's been great

I want to say he's given Ott numerous chances to score, and that's impressive on its own. He's practically turned Ott into a guy I like seeing in the ice occasionally.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Upshall has been great, his play was never a question for me, his problem is whole career is he is never healthy enough to play. I think Brouwer has been the best so far though

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008
If anything, I think the performances of both Upshall and Brodziak show that these guys are fairly replaceable, and there isn't a need to sign bottom six players to 3+ year deals for $2+ million. (Looking at you Ott)

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Thus far, Brodziak wins the battle of the 4th liners/depth signings here. He's just a force that makes everyone better.

As a whole, Brodziak, Gomez, Upshall is probably the best off-season depth-signings in recent memory. This looks to be a steal of depth that rivals any other team's depth.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Thus far, Brodziak wins the battle of the 4th liners/depth signings here. He's just a force that makes everyone better.

As a whole, Brodziak, Gomez, Upshall is probably the best off-season depth-signings in recent memory. This looks to be a steal of depth that rivals any other team's depth.

Better than Arnott, Langenbrunner and Darry Sydor?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The great thing is not a single new guy has been bad. Upshall, Gomez, Brouwer, Parayko, Edmundson and Brodziak have all been very good. Yes it's early but that's promising and makes it hard to just pick one.

I think it depends on the type of game that will determine who is the "best". Obviously Parayko and Brouwer are the most impactful from that list, but for example, I really liked having Joel Edmundson in a game like yesterday's. He's exactly what we needed.

I always wanted to sign Upshall but the Gomez signing looks even better right now, which I'll gladly be wrong about. All that's doing is giving us more depth while we still have Rattie and others in Chicago.

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
I often wonder about the positive effects of bringing up young blood onto a contending team, and how that might be a factor in pushing us over the playoff hump. With these young guys playing their hearts out, it can bring a new spark to the older players and maybe provide more motivation come playoff time.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
If anything, I think the performances of both Upshall and Brodziak show that these guys are fairly replaceable, and there isn't a need to sign bottom six players to 3+ year deals for $2+ million. (Looking at you Ott)

Lapierre and Goc were both disappointments in a similar role. (Lapierre was fine his first season, but dropped off.) Ott had a crummy transition to the Blues, but this season has been just fine. He's overpaid for his current role, though.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
1. Fabbri
2. Parayko
3. Brouwer
4. Brodziak
5. Upshall
I'd rank Edmundson ahead of both Brodziak and Upshall. Bottom 6'ers are pretty replaceable but Edmundson gives us an element we really need on the blueline. He's been really solid.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Something that almost all of the new guys can do that I think was lacking on lower lines: they can make good one-touch plays and plays with almost no time with the puck. Not just defensive plays to clear the puck to the corner, but neutral zone plays that generate a rush and offensive zone plays that are potentially dangerous. I think that's an underappreciated skill and bodes well for the playoffs, where there's so little space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad