Is Scott Darling this years version of John Gibson?

Kronwalled8*

Jul 30, 2014
I think so. He came in relive for Crawford and has taken over as the Hawks starter. Id imagine he will cool down a bit as there is no way he can sustain those numbers. John Gibson came in relief for Anderson last year and was amazing.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Looks like it's Corey Crawford's show now. He got the job done tonight.

Kronwalled8*

Jul 30, 2014
Cant say Im surprised that Q went back to Crawford. You know it was just eating up Crawford inside sitting on the bench, hes too much of a competitor.

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
No. Darling is an OLD rookie that has bounced around the minors for years. Gibson was a young touted goalie and still can be.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I'm a pretty darn big fan of Gibson, but what exactly was John Gibson last year to have other guys being considered versions of him? He was a young highly regarded prospect, who came in when their number one (Andersen) got injured, and was played over the former starter in Hiller (which was little suprise given how Hiller played leading up to the playoffs, when Gibson won starts over him already).

Darling, on the other hand, was a guy few were familiar with, and who replaced a non-injured cup-winning goalie. It's both inexperienced goalies performing well in the playoffs, but the similarities seem rather limited.

BobbleHeadNight*

Darling just got lit up in two straight games, so yeah. :laugh:

If you watched the games, the D got lit up. I think every goal was scored within 10 feet of the net, unchecked, pretty much wide open.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
If you watched the games, the D got lit up. I think every goal was scored within 10 feet of the net, unchecked, pretty much wide open.

Darling wasn't at fault for any of those goals, while Crawford was responsible for 3 or 4 out of the several given up in the first few games. I feel much more comfortable with Darling in net as Crawford's wretched puck play (one of the if not THE worst decision maker in the league when coming out of his crease). Minnesota is a team that will feast on that.

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
Not quite. Anaheim's goaltending was weird last year. Hiller was the starter last year, sucked down the stretch, the backup Andersen gets the call, he plays ok, then by Game 6 Hiller had a great relief appearance and regained the net, then he cooled off, Andersen goes back in, gets hurt, and Boudreau went for Gibson instead of Hiller, and Hiller wasn't seen again until he finished out Game 7 mop up duty. Darling doesn't really have the same potential as Gibson, and quite honestly won't get the same opportunity. Coach Q's approach to goaltending is a little more normal. Crawford's the starter, and he's got his net back.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Darling has already been replaced.

Crawford is pretty much the #1 reason the Blackhawks are even in the playoffs, let alone the 1# reason they made it to the WCF last year, and the guy that probably should have won the conn smythe the year before.

Scott Darling is a capable back-up. Nothing more.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
Andersen was hurt, Gibson took over for Hiller. Hiller didn't even play bad, we were just down 2-0 in the series and needed a spark.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Gibson blew it in game 7 and was and is also widely regarded as one of the top goaltending prospects in the world. Not an apt comparison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad