OT: Is scoring in the NHL down again and should something be done about it?

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
I agree with your observations. Last night/yesterday was full of hockey with playoff implications, but it was one of the more boring hockey-watching binges I can recall.

I know, purists say scoring isn't everything, but so many games were not only 1-0 or 0-0 after two periods, the shots on net were dismal.

I'm in complete agreement - the skill level and cerebral aspects of the game are at an all time high. Unfortunately it doesn't translate to more exciting games.

The NHL is entertainment and it is not only competing for our dollars, it's competing for our time; two things we all have limited amounts of.

Increasing net sizes seems to be drastic, but since 4 on 4 is never going to happen, I don't know what else to suggest. The goalie pads are big, but I attribute today's stellar goaltending to better technique, better conditioning, and yes, bigger goalies.

I watched a little of the NFL Pro Bowl and it was interesting watching a seasoned vet like Adam Vinatieri missing field goals with the posts moved closer together.

There would definitely be a learning curve in the NHL with bigger nets. We'd see some great 7-5 and 6-4 games, but I doubt it would be that long before the numbers would be back down.

-----------
Basketball is full of offence. And I just wait till the last 10 minutes of the furth quarters to think it's entertaining and to see players who cares.

The number of goals are not always relevant on the quality of the game, show and entertainment. With the same ice, net, rules and everything: playoffs hockey is very entertaining in my pov.

Main problem in the entertaining stuff regarding NHL is the schedule. 82 games is absolutely incredibly tough for players to perform day in and day out.

I would like to have some serious discussion with doctors and trainers of each NHL team to see how this kind of schedule impacts the players and the game.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
-----------
Basketball is full of offence. And I just wait till the last 10 minutes of the furth quarters to think it's entertaining and to see players who cares.

The number of goals are not always relevant on the quality of the game, show and entertainment. With the same ice, net, rules and everything: playoffs hockey is very entertaining in my pov.

Main problem in the entertaining stuff regarding NHL is the schedule. 82 games is absolutely incredibly tough for players to perform day in and day out.

I would like to have some serious discussion with doctors and trainers of each NHL team to see how this kind of schedule impacts the players and the game.

I agree - I watch basketball only casually, and I, too, tend to tune in at the end (though I don't like how the last two minutes can seemingly take 30 minutes to play ;) ).

I LOVE playoff hockey, and rooting interests aside, last year's Chicago/LA WCF was perhaps the most entertaining hockey I can recall in watching the sport for forty some odd years. So I'm hopeful this year's playoffs will be equally entertaining.

I've seen some very entertaining low scoring games, but the ones I've seen recently haven't been in that category.

Perhaps 82 games is too many, but in a gate-driven league I don't ever see that being reduced. I know arena availability is not easy, but I do believe they could do something about all the back-to-backs, especially those involving travel. I've seen some less-than-entertaining games where that was clearly a factor.

wetcamelfood

Aug 19, 2007
What happened to the "new NHL" after the '04 lockout where they were determined to increase scoring with smaller pads, bigger nets, etc.?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
What happened to the "new NHL" after the '04 lockout where they were determined to increase scoring with smaller pads, bigger nets, etc.?

Technology and systems have killed the flow of the game

systems everywhere when there was one simple strategy, score more than your opponents

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
I think they should get rid of 5on5 hockey. The trap and collapsing the net has created systems that kill offensive production. Move to 4on4 and you open up the ice, and create a more exciting game. I know some people will hate it, and will feel like it is somehow destroying the game. The reality is 4on4 hockey is a more exciting product.

Finally a compadre! :handclap: Been saying this for years. It is a better game and there is still a surprising amount of hitting. There would need to be some other changes like shortening the length of penalties, no major penalties (except for fighting) and no 4 on 2 which would be an automatic goal. (Just add on time to the first if a short-handed team incurs another penalty) This stuff because the rate of scoring on a PP which be significantly higher and calling a penalty becomes more crucial. But there should be less penalties anyway with the extra room.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
changing the rules of the game to gain some imaginary points with casual fans is beyond silly.

these things ebb and flow but the technology and strategy are always on the side of defense, just as the numbers are. you're more likely to not to score a goal than you are to. installing a shot blocking defense ups those numbers, as does the ability to review video, the ability to obstruct...there are plenty of things to be changed if you're really interested in changing the ways of scoring in the league. there are plenty of rules that could actually be enforced that would help and i would rather they go that route rather than changing the size of the landscape of the game.

where does it end? what if they change the size of the goals in hockey and scoring goes back to the mid to high 3 gpa? sorry but that's not really interesting to me and i doubt that reverting back to the nba style where everybody scores on almost every shot would hold the interest of the casual fan.

i think there's something to be said for tinkering with the game. enforce rules like obstruction, allow the play to move and you'll see an uptick in goals.

rudos1

Oct 22, 2009
I agree with the poster who says the game is too watered down, let's get rid of at least two teams who are not profitable and DON'T replace them. Less marginal players in the pool and more chances for the elite to shine. Also I'd love all penalties to be unlimited chances for scoring, not the current system when if the team on the PP scores the penalized team gets their man back on the ice. Leave him in the box til the end of his penalty no matter how many goals are scored...

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
The ice surface is too small. 5 world class athletes trained at the art of defending and blocking shots can get good at it. Just as a huge man with enormous pads covering a small net is good at that as well.

4 on 4 is probably the way to go but it won't happen.

wetcamelfood

Aug 19, 2007
The ice surface is too small. 5 world class athletes trained at the art of defending and blocking shots can get good at it. Just as a huge man with enormous pads covering a small net is good at that as well.

4 on 4 is probably the way to go but it won't happen.

Though making the ice surface bigger would be ideal, that would mean removing seats or building new areans, neither of which owners would agree to.

Offtheboard412

Feb 26, 2012
I did not go into details about the dilution of talent but I also feel like you that if we could cut anywhere from 8 to 10 teams that the product would be a better one on ice and quality of skill would be higher along as you said that scoring would also go up as well to a certain extent.
We both know this will never happen since the league is a business and more teams equals more money for everybody.

I think this would actually lower scoring numbers as you just eliminated a lot of bottom pairing d men and forced more talented players into bottom pairing spots. If the league expanded and added 2 teams, 1 to each conference, those teams would probably be pretty bad for a while and would give star players a team to rack up points against 3-4 times a year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad