Is Schneider elite?

Lindt

Apr 28, 2010
Being elite means being able to perform at a high level consistently over a period of years. Schneider hasn't had the years for him to prove himself one way or another. Let's put on some Van Morrison and come back to this thought in 2-4 years.

So Crosby wasn't elite until his third or fourth season, right? :laugh:

Hal 9000*

There is no way that he is "elite". And, he never will be! Brodeur, Roy, Hasek, Dryden, Espo etc. are elite. If Schneider was "elite", he woulda proven it already but he hasn't. He has the ability to become better than average - at best.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Concentrating on 10 games isn't that much different than calling him "elite" based on such a small body of work. He looks promising, but we'll have to wait to find out.

2000 shots is a pretty good sample size imo. I also think carrying that play for two years is significant. Some guys can put one hot season together (Elliott) but the ones that can put two together tend to have some staying power.

It's not just his numbers either. He's every bit the technical goalie that Lu is and he's more athletic.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
There is no way that he is "elite". And, he never will be! Brodeur, Roy, Hasek, Dryden, Espo etc. are elite. If Schneider was "elite", he woulda proven it already but he hasn't. He has the ability to become better than average - at best.

Hasek didn't become a starter until he was 28 years old and had zero NHL success before that. Cory is miles ahead of where Hasek was at the same age.

Hal 9000*

2000 shots is a pretty good sample size imo. I also think carrying that play for two years is significant. Some guys can put one hot season together (Elliott) but the ones that can put two together tend to have some staying power.

It's not just his numbers either. He's every bit the technical goalie that Lu is and he's more athletic.

I think Schneider, like Luongo, is very technical and most saves he makes look easy because he's usually in the right place and on occasions like last night, he knows his secondary placing after he makes the first save.
With that said; I know that I'm in a minority about Schneiders athleticism but he seems to get into trouble in the "close in" plays where it's just about instinct and reaction. This is where I think Luongo is better.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
The one thing about Schneider that aggravates me is that he gives up on the puck a lot more than Luongo. There has been so many times where Luongo realizes he didn't squeeze the puck hard enough so he turns around to try and stop it. Schneider thinks he has the puck sometimes and its just sitting beside him. ALSO his puck handling is just embarrassing.

Hal 9000*

Hasek didn't become a starter until he was 28 years old and had zero NHL success before that. Cory is miles ahead of where Hasek was at the same age.

With Hasek, it was just about the times, the team and adjusting to north american hockey. No way is Schneider in the same catagory as Hasek.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Jim Carey at age 22 won a Vezina. He accomplished more individual trophies than Schneider has at the same age. Does that mean Schneider will be worse than Jim Carey?

Lindt

Apr 28, 2010
Jim Carey at age 22 won a Vezina. He accomplished more individual trophies than Schneider has at the same age. Does that mean Schneider will be worse than Jim Carey?

No, but it was in response to a post stating that if he was elite he would have proven it already. Which is also wrong.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

huh? All you can ask him to do to prove he's elite is put up elite numbers. He's put up elite numbers since coming to the NHL, was elite in the AHL before that. Whether he is elite or not remains to be seen with the fullness of time but he's done nothing to dispel the theory.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I think Schneider, like Luongo, is very technical and most saves he makes look easy because he's usually in the right place and on occasions like last night, he knows his secondary placing after he makes the first save.
With that said; I know that I'm in a minority about Schneiders athleticism but he seems to get into trouble in the "close in" plays where it's just about instinct and reaction. This is where I think Luongo is better.

I am huge Lu fan but he is terrible technically. He does work very hard on positioning but in terms of modern goaltending he literally learned to skate when Melanson was hired ~3 years ago.

Schneider is big, ahtletic AND he has the modern fundamentals that Lu is just learning.

Hal 9000*

I am huge Lu fan but he is terrible technically. He does work very hard on positioning but in terms of modern goaltending he literally learned to skate when Melanson was hired ~3 years ago.

Schneider is big, ahtletic AND he has the modern fundamentals that Lu is just learning.

All that and Lu is still the better goalie!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad