Is Schneider elite?

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
I think this is an important question we need to ask ourselves. Because Luongo, apart from one gaffe, has been playing like the 2nd best goalie in the league. 1st since Anderson got injured.

Schneider, who hasn't been bad, hasn't been great either, in my opinion. He's been decidedly average. He's had some good games, and he's had some bad games and he's had some decent games, all in equal amounts.

So to me it doesn't make sense to trade away an elite player to make room for an average player just because he's younger and cheaper; especially if the return for the younger goalie would be better. Now it might just be a slow start/adjustment period to being a starter, but frankly I don't think so. Ideally we should have traded Schneider to Toronto, Tampa Bay, Columbus, etc at the draft when his value was at it's highest. Now he's struggled, and I frankly don't feel as comfortable with him in net as I do Luongo.

So what say you on Schneider's future?

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
This season, he's just been average. Career projection? He's got the toolbox to be somewhere between good and elite. I think he'll max out around upper tier top 10 to top 5 in the league starter, but expecting a Vezina win might be a bit much to expect right now. He's a few years away from his peak though.

Lindt

Apr 28, 2010
Schneider hasn't been elite this year, but he has played at an elite level the last two seasons. Luongo has played at an elite level this year, but was outplayed by Schneider the last two seasons. Schneider is seven years younger than Luongo.

I wouldn't make a trading decision based on ten games. I would base it on return, play over the last few years, age, future potential, contract, etc.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
I think this is an important question we need to ask ourselves. Because Luongo, apart from one gaffe, has been playing like the 2nd best goalie in the league. 1st since Anderson got injured.

Nobody is doubting that Luongo is a very good/great goaltender in the regular season. The issue with Luongo has been his performance in the playoffs.

That said, if you're having trouble moving Luongo, and you're getting great offers for Schneider, you do what you have to do.

To the poll question, nobody can say with any certainty that Schneider is an "elite" goaltender. Do I think a team could win a Stanley Cup with him in goal? Yes.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Cory is an elite goalie.

Ignoring the last two seasons + playoffs in favour of 20 games this season is crazy. Crazy.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Cory is an elite goalie.

Ignoring the last two seasons + playoffs in favour of 20 games this season is crazy. Crazy.

Basing his elite status on two seasons where he got limited starts and 3 playoff games is crazy. Crazy.

He hasn't proved anything yet.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Cory is an elite goalie.

Ignoring that he put up elite stats in sheltered starts isn't right either. To me to be an elite goalie you have to be considered a consensus top 7 goalie, that's not Schneider. He's a good goalie who has potential to be elite, but this year he's taken a step back.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Ignoring that he put up elite stats in sheltered starts isn't right either. To me to be an elite goalie you have to be considered a consensus top 7 goalie, that's not Schneider. He's a good goalie who has potential to be elite, but this year he's taken a step back.

To be an elite goalie you have to play like one. Cory has been doing that for two years.

How do you shelter a goalie in the playoffs?

If this is a step back for Cory, what do you call Lu's usual starts?

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
He hasn't proved anything yet.

That wasn't the question. We have to decide (Gillis does) whether or not Cory is going to be an elite goalie moving forward. Through no fault of his own he has not been provided the opportunity to prove it.

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
People have pointed out that Schneider has had a limited track record before, and that you can't really call someone elite after 50-60 games.

I'd agree with that, although I think that he has the potential to be elite in the future. It is a bit silly to point to 10 games as evidence that he's not going to be elite though. 10 games must be weighed less than 50-60 games, and most goalies have stretches of 10+ games where they don't look very good. See Lundqvist's start this year as an example.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
That wasn't the question. We have to decide (Gillis does) whether or not Cory is going to be an elite goalie moving forward. Through no fault of his own he has not been provided the opportunity to prove it.

I am a ninja.

You have to accept that because I haven't had a chance to prove it.

:thumbu:

fava

Jan 24, 2013
hes playing below average as a starter this season. bottom 5 among starters i believe.

elite not supposed to be the option, he hasnt play 10 games as a starter

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna

You said;

Cory is an elite goalie.

which is what I was responding to. I don't agree that he's considered an elite goaltender right now, based on his limited body of work. If you read my earlier comment, I said that he would be a top 10 goalie in this league at his peak.

aqsw

PM
Dec 11, 2004
Winnipeg
I think you should give him the reigns to find out how good he really is. You are going to make the playoffs anyways. Let Schneider have all the games except the second in back to backs. If he poops the bed, you can always get a second (or more)for him and keep Lou next year.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I think you should give him the reigns to find out how good he really is. You are going to make the playoffs anyways. Let Schneider have all the games except the second in back to backs. If he poops the bed, you can always get a second (or more)for him and keep Lou next year.

He's had a lot of off games this season, and Luongo has been sharp in all but one game. No way are they going to give Schneider a large majority of starts right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad