Is Ryan Getzlaf a Top 50 player in the league?

Is Ryan Getzlaf a Top 50 player in the league?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Better at being ranked lower.
Canadian media hyping a star on a Canadian team more than is currently due? Unprecedented.

Edit: Getzlaf 1.09 ppg
Matthews 0.81 ppg

And Getzlaf is better defensively. Matthews will be better maybe as soon as this year. But it's not that absurd to suggest Getzlaf has been better on a more offensively impotent team.

Last edited:
Reactions: dukeofjive

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Getzlaf has notoriously been ranked lower than he deserved. He’s still the better player.

You can say that a few more times but I don't think it's making a difference. In the end you just become one of those people filling Twitter, or an analysts inbox, with hate because your opinion represents the minority or fringe.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
You can say that a few more times but I don't think it's making a difference. In the end you just become one of those people filling Twitter, or an analysts inbox, with hate because your opinion represents the minority or fringe.

Getzlaf over Matthews is not a fringe or ludicrous opinion.

I seem to remember a top 10 centre poll series last year...Getzlaf was about to take #10 over Matthews until Leaf fans made a thread on their own board directing people to go vote for him..

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
You can reverse your logic and apply it to yourself. Suggesting that Getzlaf has been better is not a product of hate. By every metric Getzlaf has been outperforming Matthews in everything but goal scoring on an ailing team.

Matthews has been in the league two years. Comparing him to one of the most productive centers in the league in the last decade doesn't somehow mean Matthews won't be better or he isn't a good player.

But if you feel so wounded by this assertion maybe you can explain how the less productive player who hasn't yet reached Getzlaf's quality of defensive play is currently better. Without saying cause NHL.com and Sportsnet said so. That's like using the National Inquirer as a legitimate news source.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
You can reverse your logic and apply it to yourself. Suggesting that Getzlaf has been better is not a product of hate. By every metric Getzlaf has been outperforming Matthews in everything but goal scoring on an ailing team.

Matthews has been in the league two years. Comparing him to one of the most productive centers in the league in the last decade doesn't somehow mean Matthews won't be better or he isn't a good player.

But if you feel so wounded by this assertion maybe you can explain how the less productive player who hasn't yet reached Getzlaf's quality of defensive play is currently better. Without saying cause NHL.com and Sportsnet said so. That's like using the National Inquirer as a legitimate news source.

Nah it cant, you can try to flip the logic but all these lists agree with what I'm saying. I don't need to reach for tinfoil hat conspiracies about Canadians pandering to canadians.

If you want to make an argument about defensive play than by all means, delve into the advanced stats, make the argument. I will likely just post a recent video from NHL network where they use an analytics guy who does the work for me and concludes Matthews has been one of the best centers defensively since joining the NHL. At least if I can find it.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Nah it cant, you can try to flip the logic but all these lists agree with what I'm saying. I don't need to reach for tinfoil hat conspiracies about Canadians pandering to canadians.

If you want to make an argument about defensive play than by all means, delve into the advanced stats, make the argument. I will likely just post a recent video from NHL network where they use an analytics guy who does the work for me and concludes Matthews has been one of the best centers defensively since joining the NHL. At least if I can find it.
Yeah while you're looking for that, you could explain how Getzlaf has a higher impact score on defensive play on a list where Matthews is ranked higher.

The definitive ranking of the NHL’s top 20 centres over three seasons - Sportsnet.ca

I'm certainly not suggesting Matthews isn't a fine player defensively, but Getzlaf is far closer to the Kopitars of this league than Matthews is.

Reactions: Paul4587

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

Talk about appeal to authority...

and not a particularly good authority at that.

Are you incapable of producing your own arguments?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Getzlaf was and may still be in the top 50 in the league but he is not any longer a top 20 or 30 player. Great player but is not what he use to be.

He just had his best season since 2014, unfortunately he missed some games due to a fluke injury. Not sure how he’s not what he used to be.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Getzlaf was and may still be in the top 50 in the league but he is not any longer a top 20 or 30 player. Great player but is not what he use to be.
He had his highest ppg last season since 13-14 and was an absolute beast in 2017 post season. Where do you think his game has fallen off?

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
Getzlaf does not only deliver points, he imposes his will upon the other team. He's a tough and scary center to play against. Very underrated.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
He's 51 for me.

Joking aside, he's been underrated the last few years. He should be in the top 50.

teemussalami1

Mar 16, 2017

This is why people hate leafs fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad