Is Ray Shero the answer? How do you think this rebuild has gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
I am torn between which way I view this though I have started leaning towards Shero isn’t the answer for us. Yes the cupboards are much more filled than previously - but how much of that is by luck and virtue of being bad?

Its now been five years in the rebuild and not much improvement in the standings. Prospect pool has grown a ton but where is the progression for those youth and is it as good as it should be? If you ask me it seems we could be just as bad or possibly slightly worse/better next season as we still need to make a new system (new coach), inject more youth, more new faces, etc...

And how much does the lack of a good coaching staff affect the development and continued success of the rebuild? Is this alone a fireable offense?

How much longer do you give him?

****My three biggest knocks on Shero currently are:

1) lack of a solid coaching staff - IMO we’d be a wild card fighter and the kids would be developing quicker/better

2) lack of defensively strong dmen - our forwards all seem defensively capable, however the defense isnt as much as it should be. This was a problem for Shero in Pittsburgh as well IIRC

3) sending Ty Smith down and returning McLeod to Binghamton. Smith was just going to play the same minutes and likely score at the same pace as last year with a decrease in skilled competition (hes gotten better, the leagues average stayed the same). Hes missing vital NHL experience and likely could have played 10-15 by now like Dobson has. McLeod also was playing very well and I dont see why him getting more minutes against less competition is better than decent minutes against NHL players. I think some people underestimate how important NHL minutes, practices, environment including eating and working out, etc.. are.

While I wasnt trying to make this a bash Shero thread, as I do like him a lot - thats just how I see it as of today. But what do you think about him and how this rebuild has gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad