Is playing for a Canadian team too much pressure?

Is it too much pressure to play for a Canadian team?

• Total voters
Aug 10, 2015
I may be un-Canadian to even admit it, but this Canadian....

....cheered when the Colorado Avalanche eliminated the Calgary Flames
....cheered when the St Louis Blues eliminated the Winnipeg Jets
....cheered when the Boston Bruins eliminated the Toronto Maple Leafs

....but don't get me wrong, I cheer for Canadian teams....well, not the Montreal Canadiens, Ottawa Senators or Vancouver Canucks either.

As for the question in the opening post, I think the fans take part of the blame, so does the media, and so do the taxes....but do I think that playing in Canada is 'too much pressure'...no.

Westcoastsniper

Sep 25, 2008
With the Flames, Jets, and Leafs all out in the first round and no Canadian team winning the cup since 93 do you believe it is too much pressure to play for a Canadian team?

If you had 24 Canadian teams, and 7 American teams, it would be the other way around.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Toronto yes definitely
Ottawa nobody gives a f***
Habs I can see being a more probable one
Oilers nucks Flames Jets I have no idea

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
If the answer is "yes" then hockey players are incredibly soft. I get it, the media and pressure in Canada and worse than in the US but there are huge market NFL and NBA teams that are under a microscope just as much or more than Canadian hockey teams and they have no problem winning. It's a poor excuse.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Of course not.....

It just so happens that it's more attractive to live in the States.

Well, that, and you know there are three times as many teams down here!

I love Canada, I would never consider giving up my citizenship, but I've been down here for 10 years and I don't think I'd ever move back.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
It has nothing to do with pressure, its 2 other things.

1) Its simply a toxic work environment. The media is constantly overreacting and its non stop bombardment for the players. Every team tries their hardest to win and puts more pressure on themselves than any fan base ever could, but those cultures are emotionally draining and are a disadvantage for the teams that have to play in them.

2) Fans in Canada are too loyal. What I mean by this is that for non Canadian markets, teams that don't win generally bleed money, which forces them to stay competitive, generally from the front office and ownership positions. However in Canada you can have a team like EDM who can have the same failure of a brain trust that ruins the team for decades and fans still support them enough to where they stay in power.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It has nothing to do with pressure, its 2 other things.

1) Its simply a toxic work environment. The media is constantly overreacting and its non stop bombardment for the players. Every team tries their hardest to win and puts more pressure on themselves than any fan base ever could, but those cultures are emotionally draining and are a disadvantage for the teams that have to play in them.

2) Fans in Canada are too loyal. What I mean by this is that for non Canadian markets, teams that don't win generally bleed money, which forces them to stay competitive, generally from the front office and ownership positions. However in Canada you can have a team like EDM who can have the same failure of a brain trust that ruins the team for decades and fans still support them enough to where they stay in power.

IMO fans still show up in Edmonton because they have the best player in the world. Yea I'm sure they dont want to give Katz any more money or make him think they support his brain trust but it's hard to not go watch a player like McDavid play.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
If the answer is "yes" then hockey players are incredibly soft. I get it, the media and pressure in Canada and worse than in the US but there are huge market NFL and NBA teams that are under a microscope just as much or more than Canadian hockey teams and they have no problem winning. It's a poor excuse.

Also imagine soccer players lol

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Also imagine soccer players lol
Lol, yup. It's actually hilarious that Canadians think they're somehow more rabid fans of their teams than any other fans of any other sports teams. I'm not saying Canadians aren't great hockey fans who put a lot of pressure on their players but they also aren't some unique brand of fan that other athletes don't see.

You want to talk pressure, just think of Russian Olympic athletes from the cold war era to as recent as 4-5 years ago with the doping scandal. Or to go a step further, think of the North Korean Olympians. Can you imagine what would happen if they somehow brought shame to their country? That's pressure!

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
In Toronto, absolutely
In Montreal, if you aren’t good enough or French enough then issues could arise
Everywhere else in Canada, you’d feel less pressure playing there than in the States

Cotton

May 13, 2013

The microscope and media is way, way, way worse for NFL and NBA players in the US. So it's either NHL'ers are incredibly soft, or it's a BS notion brought up to rustle jimmies.

Pretty sure it's the latter.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
In Toronto, absolutely
In Montreal, if you aren’t good enough or French enough then issues could arise
Everywhere else in Canada, you’d feel less pressure playing there than in the States
Am I reading this wrong? You can't actually think that.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Am I reading this wrong? You can't actually think that.
I’m being honest there. There’s surely gotta be more pressure to play in markets like New York, Boston, Philly, Chicago, Pittsburgh and even the Cali teams than somewhere like Winnipeg or Ottawa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad