Is Playing Against Your Country in a Tournament Betrayal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
It's only betrayal if Brett Hull does it.

Honestly, it's a hockey game, not a war. If someone would rather play for another team than Canada, whatever. More power to them. They should just know we're gonna beat them anyway...

espo*

if only it was Brett doing it......i could handle it a lot better......what can i say?....the weather,excitement and opportuinities are just better down there then up here in the chilly north......tons of more women also.....that can't hurt.

AgentNaslund*

Spengler cup is really nothing that big. Just small tourny. St.Louis, Nash, Thorton will join Team Canada for sure if they were asked to be invited.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
This is like saying any canadian player in the NHL playing for an American team is betraying their country when they play a canadian team.
it's ridiculous

Zetterberg4Captain*

IMO it is betrayal. Your helping a nother country or team defeat your OWN country. It does'nt matter if it is only the Spengler cup it is still a National Tournament and televised on Sportsnet so it must be somewhat important. When I saw ST. Louis, Thornton, and Nash playing against Canada I was discusted.

MaV

Jun 23, 2002
ofhdhdy said:
IMO it is betrayal. Your helping a nother country or team defeat your OWN country. It does'nt matter if it is only the Spengler cup it is still a National Tournament and televised on Sportsnet so it must be somewhat important.

Was it betrayal when University of Manitoba played exhibition game against Canada's WJC team?

Anyway, the only way to solve this "problem" would be to for Hockey Canada not to send their team to club team tournament. That would hurt them though, as they seem to think it's useful, but at least these hockey fans would feel better I guess.

Vic Rattlehead*

ofhdhdy said:
IMO it is betrayal. Your helping a nother country or team defeat your OWN country. It does'nt matter if it is only the Spengler cup it is still a National Tournament and televised on Sportsnet so it must be somewhat important. When I saw ST. Louis, Thornton, and Nash playing against Canada I was discusted.

Since when was Davos a country? It's a hockey club that invites other countries to their tournament. Since Canada only has the CHL, they can't send any clubs, so they send a "team canada".

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
ofhdhdy said:

It is a tournament that uses club teams. Davos is the team that represents Switzerland. The Canadian National Team just happens to represent Canada. It is not an international tournament per se, that is why "Switzerland" wasn't wearing the Swiss jerseys, they were wearing the Davos jerseys. And why Canada doesn't wear the real team Canada jerseys.

It would be no different than if they made the Stanley Cup final Canada (Calgary) vs. USA (Tampa Bay).

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Chileiceman said:
This is like saying any canadian player in the NHL playing for an American team is betraying their country when they play a canadian team.
it's ridiculous

Only when they play against the"Canadiens" or the "Canucks". :D

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
Sotnos said:
You have a lot of nerve saying that on these boards. :shakehead

Aw c'mon.. its just a joke

besides... its Einstein who had a lot of nerve saying it.. all i did was make the extension that the US is extremely nationalistic

Genghis86

Dec 28, 2004
Roman Voloshenko was born in Minsk, Belarus.

However, he has scored two goals for Russia in its 7-2 win over Belarus at WJHC 2004.

Is it betrayal?

Mountain Dude

It was a betrayal when Hull and Deadmarsh did it, and when Brady Murray did it last year, and O'Sullivan is partially Canadian too, but his dad abused him, so he's not a traitor.

The Spengler cup players aren't traitors, they're just playing hockey for they're contracted team.

Hart_House_Ca

Feb 21, 2004
tommi462 said:
Tons of ads in the uniforms, maybe, but at least we don't have commercial breaks every 3 minutes.

When do you have time to take a leak or refill your beer?

Zetterberg4Captain*

MaV said:
Was it betrayal when University of Manitoba played exhibition game against Canada's WJC team?

Anyway, the only way to solve this "problem" would be to for Hockey Canada not to send their team to club team tournament. That would hurt them though, as they seem to think it's useful, but at least these hockey fans would feel better I guess.

What does University of Manitoba VS. Canada have to do anything? It was a exhibition game!!! :lol :joker: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->