Is placing an expansion team in Beijing possible? (Mod Note Post #32)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Im curious. Why not?

They closed the political board for a reason.

It is one of those things either you understand or don't understand.

But even moving politics. Factor in travel and getting players to go there for their careers would be near impossible. It is not like visiting your local China town

Also the bigger issue is that despite the size of the country hockey is not that popular and pulling in crowds would be hard unless the fans were ordered to attend.

Reactions: Dave is a killer

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
When I try to clarify a situation with partner companies in China it takes about 200% longer than normal. Impossible to set up a call, email exchanges take days. Its kind of a mess. I dont see how on earth that would ever work in a sports context.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
Also the bigger issue is that despite the size of the country hockey is not that popular and pulling in crowds would be hard unless the fans were ordered to attend.
Which could very well happen. I worked on a WHO study years ago and was thrilled that our team from China had 100% response and completion rates. That quickly turned to horror once I was told how that was accomplished. Yeah, not the sort of partner that a North American sports league would want to get involved with ...

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Which could very well happen. I worked on a WHO study years ago and was thrilled that our team from China had 100% response and completion rates. That quickly turned to horror once I was told how that was accomplished. Yeah, not the sort of partner that a North American sports league would want to get involved with ...

there is a reason why I am trying to keep politics out of this and it is hard--99% of this board has more than likely never been to China or had first hand experience in dealing with both their political system and culture. Unless you deal with it first hand you can not fully understand their system and to what lengths the government does to ensure certain things get done correctly.

mods can delete this following statement if they think it is too political

Most of us were raised learning about Russian style of Communism. Chinese Communism is different and it is hard to explain just how crazy it can be compared to anything. One simple explanation is Russian Communism did not allow what we view as Capitalism, Chinese communism did and that is one reason why they are still going strong and USSR went BOOM

Due to politics I do no see any pro sport team expanding to China--there are two chinese pro hockey leagues and a plan for 2 more. They do pay the pro athletes there good money there and those athletes are told what to say and when to say it.

But we can not talk politics and politics will be the reason why this idea will never happen

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I have suggested we close this thread because we can not talk about this without talking about politics--despite what some of you think.

My last comment is google problems in Hong Kong or the fallout from Meng Wanzhou being arrested in Canada or NBA

This above would make it a non starter alone, let alone the logistics.

Reactions: Dave is a killer

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
You can continue to discuss the topic in a mature respectful manner when looping politics in to it. Once anyone strays from that, moderation will ramp up (including the possible closure of this thread).

HugoSimon

Jan 25, 2013
It makes absolutely no sense for the NHL to expand to China with a team. Travel and logistics would be a nightmare with current transportation technologies. What could work is an NHL Global Series game in China with a few exhibitions against KHL teams in surrounding Asian Pacific Countries. However, I do not see this happening until a team has a recognizable Asian player. If we are talking about out there expansions for American sports leagues, having a development league for the NBA in China makes far more sense than the NHL making moves for the Asian market.

Why not have something like an expansion division.

I.e. 6 teams in China

they play each other team 10 times(5 home 5 away) for a total of 50 games.

Have the Chinese season start in early September with 8 visiting teams from North America.

Each NA team will play every Chinese team twice for a total of 96 games.

In return the NA teams have a two week break before going back for the regular season in NA. When they return they will face these same teams again for a total of 96 more games.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
Why not have something like an expansion division.

I.e. 6 teams in China

they play each other team 10 times(5 home 5 away) for a total of 50 games.

Have the Chinese season start in early September with 8 visiting teams from North America.

Each NA team will play every Chinese team twice for a total of 96 games.

In return the NA teams have a two week break before going back for the regular season in NA. When they return they will face these same teams again for a total of 96 more games.

It makes no sense for the NHL to enter the Asian market. The logistics alone would kill it and that is before you have have a chance to establish one team let alone six. Let the KHL have Eastern Eurasia and if you are insistent on entering the Chinese market have an exhibition game or two every year with a collection of players willing to go. The NBA idea I had was based upon the fact the NBA minor league system is already competing for attention in America with NCAA basketball so why not relocate it to someplace where it would be top billing. NHL players need to be at the 2022 Olympics and after that see how things go.

Reactions: DaveG

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
latest

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa
It makes no sense for the NHL to enter the Asian market. The logistics alone would kill it and that is before you have have a chance to establish one team let alone six. Let the KHL have Eastern Eurasia and if you are insistent on entering the Chinese market have an exhibition game or two every year with a collection of players willing to go. The NBA idea I had was based upon the fact the NBA minor league system is already competing for attention in America with NCAA basketball so why not relocate it to someplace where it would be top billing. NHL players need to be at the 2022 Olympics and after that see how things go.

The point of a minor league is that it's not the top billing.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The logistics of having a team across an ocean in a sport like the NFL, where you play one game a week, is massive enough as it is. Doing so with three or four games some weeks is a whole other matter.

Barring a revolutionary breakthrough in commercial hypersonic flights, adding teams on the other side of the Pacific or Atlantic to the NHL, NBA, or MLB makes no sense.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Yeah I'm going to need your source on that bolded part. NBA Summer League games get play because there isn't much else going on, but I can't recall any hype around the NBA G-League once the regular season is underway. And to compare it to NCAA basketball is comical.

Reactions: DaveG

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
It makes absolutely no sense for the NHL to expand to China with a team. Travel and logistics would be a nightmare with current transportation technologies. What could work is an NHL Global Series game in China with a few exhibitions against KHL teams in surrounding Asian Pacific Countries. However, I do not see this happening until a team has a recognizable Asian player. If we are talking about out there expansions for American sports leagues, having a development league for the NBA in China makes far more sense than the NHL making moves for the Asian market.
Yes, the KHL vs the NHL game has been discussed.

And the Kunlun Red Star is doing good so far.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Indeed, 2510 spectators in their latest home game and dead last in the weaker eastern conference.
It is occupancy of 84 per cent. As I said, good.

They are one win from playoff zone while having 3 games less than 8th team.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
It is occupancy of 84 per cent. As I said, good.

They moved in the practice facility full time only because 2510 looked absolutely pathetic in the big building. It remains a pathetic number though, in fact lower than the DEL2 (German second league) average. And these German teams come from towns like Kaufbeuren, not Beijing with over 20 million people.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
They moved in the practice facility full time only because 2510 looked absolutely pathetic in the big building. It remains a pathetic number though, in fact lower than the DEL2 (German second league) average. And these German teams come from towns like Kaufbeuren, not Beijing with over 20 million people.
That is your opinion. I recommend you to make a research or contact the club for detailed informations. Thanks.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Just no.... Please no...

If they were going to go off North America they should go to Europe first, where the support and other things... would be more... favorable to a team's success.

But the NHL isn't seriously looking at a European expansion anytime soon (if ever), so a team in China with it's additional problems...

Yeah no.

Reactions: rfournier103

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
As long as China is viewed as a potential goldmine we'll get these threads. Doesn't matter the endeavor and regardless of how ludicrous it is.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
The Los Angeles Kings are the closest to Beijing and that is a 13 hour flight away.

Of course not.

Per Alexa, it's 12:30 Beijing-San Jose and 11:30 Beijing-Seattle. YMMV (Polar route for the win :D)

While most (intercontinental) NHL charters are very nice, they don't have a huge amount of room for guys to get up and move during a long flight. When the Sharks flew to Europe, they chartered a (small) 747 for the team (ended up using their same charter company, just upgraded to the larger bird). Even going the polar route, it's an 11 hour+ flight from San Jose to Berlin. (6 years ago, I took a non-stop 16:30 flight from Atlanta to Johannesburg, South Africa. Fortunately, mom upgraded us to the cocoon, so we had seats that adjusted to flat for sleeping.

On top of that, players have to deal with jet lag (7pm Beijing time = 4am PT/7am ET) unless the game is played in the afternoon (and players deal with it like a late North American game?). ("They say" that you need 1 day per time zone change to adjust circadian rhythms. Yes, you can do some things to counteract jet lag, but teams would have to adjust to go and then adjust back on return.)

That doesn't even factor in the logistics of scheduling (and giving teams 3+ days either side of games for travel), nor scheduling officials to work the games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad