Is Phaneuf The Most Wild Shooter Of All Time?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
When he was in Calgary he hit everything in sight and scored from. The blue line quite a bit. When he came to TO he stopped hitting and his shot went high and wide almost all the time.
I mean he did literally end Michael Sauer's career back in 2011, and Sauer is not exactly a small dude. Shit was tragic, 24-years old, never played another game.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Probably. I remember when he was in Calgary, and I can't even remember who they were playing now, but they kept feeding him the puck and he shot it 10 times missing the net in every way possible.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
What? Dion was still plenty physical in Toronto. One thing I always liked about him was that he was aggressive, but still a clean hitter. Always keeps the elbows tucked, shoulder to chest.
I'd say his issue was actually trying to be too physical, often times leaving him way out of position. He did the same in Calgary from my understanding.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
The better question is, how the heck did he score so many goals in Calgary?
All Phaneuf models have set screws on the back of their heads for adjustments. Sutter kept the user manual and deliberately screwed up the adjustments when he shipped him off to Burke.

member 298589

It's like he has a gun but knows his ammo is only blanks. So he is firing into the air to try and scare you off.

Seriously, I think he genuinely believes that blasting the puck into the boards or glass will intimidate the other team, and they will just lay down their sticks when they hear the big 'Neuf boom beside them.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
My father/grandfather said that Eddie Shack was the wildest shooter. "He would fire the puck just to hear the sound of the backboards"...

...which kind of sounds like Dion.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
He had pretty solid goal totals for a dman until he was about 29.

Its pretty common for goal scorers to decline at that age.

So I think that's time doing its thing.

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
Phaneuf hammers that slapshot the way it's supposed to be hammered. None of this new-age, soft, flutter-the-puck-through-so-it-gets-on-net garbage.

You put your head down, wind up, and just unload on that puck as hard as humanely possibly in the general direction of the opposing net. It's gonna either hit their guy or your guy if it doesn't go in, but you know it's gonna goddam break something.

mattw4466

Jan 15, 2014
I always thought Phaneuf had a really nice snapper from the blue line. Barely moved his stick and it would be a rocket.....not very accurate but still impressive.

JETZZZ

Oct 27, 2010
Winnipeg Manitoba
Phaneuf hammers that slapshot the way it's supposed to be hammered. None of this new-age, soft, flutter-the-puck-through-so-it-gets-on-net garbage.

You put your head down, wind up, and just unload on that puck as hard as humanely possibly in the general direction of the opposing net. It's gonna either hit their guy or your guy if it doesn't go in, but you know it's gonna goddam break something.
When I go to a gun range, I shoot the way you are supposed to shoot. None of this new age, looking-through-your-sight-or-taking-up-a-point-of-aim garbage.

You hold the rifle at the hip and just close your eyes before squeezing what feels like the trigger. Its gunna either hit the target or a bystander to your left who happened to look a little bit like the target when you squint really hard, but you know its gonna make a hole in something.

Reactions: E40

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad