Is Paul Maclean the problem?

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
His Ottawa teams were well known for bleeding chances at an alarming rate and wouldn't you know the current ducks are ooooozing scoring chances against. I personally think gmbm is a mediocre GM. He can't judge players ( hagelin,bieksa) and he can't read a coach (yawney,PM) so for all the credit he got building this team he has equally set back the team. Honestly outside of drafting what has he done well? Twins were inherited and kesler was gift wrapped. I realize I went from coaching to GM in this parapgraph but is PM the problem?

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Isn't Yawney the defensive coach and Maclean the special teams coach? The powerplay has been bad as always and we have the top PK in the league, I definitely wouldn't stick it on Maclean.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
The Moen-Huskins trade, Koivu, the first Wisniewski trade, Lubo, the Ryan trade, Thompson, Lydman, Cogliano, Holland trade is looking pretty good, Maroon, the Lovejoy trades, the Brown trades, bringing in Boudreau, but other than those things and bringing in Kesler - he has done nothing but draft well.

Look, I can understand being frustrated about some of the recent moves, but Murray has done far more good than bad during his tenure here. Also, I have a hard time pinning this on the Stache when we saw some of these problems crop up before he got here.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
The Moen-Huskins trade, Koivu, the first Wisniewski trade, Lubo, the Ryan trade, Thompson, Lydman, Cogliano, Holland trade is looking pretty good, Maroon, the Lovejoy trades, the Brown trades, bringing in Boudreau, but other than those things and bringing in Kesler - he has done nothing but draft well.

:handclap:

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Is this Maclean's fault? No. I expected him to improve our PP, but this year's struggles are fall from his fault.

I blame the GM more than anyone. We had a team that was 1 win away from a cup (yes I believe we beat the Bolts). That's not a team you move big pieces from. The decision to give Bieksa almost the same coin as Beauchemin was beyond stupid. I can't fathom what the actual **** Murray was thinking when he made that decision. And no, I don't believe $$ was the issue. I think he thought Bieksa was better than this, despite him not being good for some time now.

I also think that it was beyond stupid to not replace one of our best finishers on the team. We already lack them, and he let Beleskey walk and replaced him with another Cogliano. That's just asinine.

I blame Bruce for not getting more out of Perry and Getzlaf. Kesler to an extent, but like I said in the offseason, Beleskey is a big loss for that group. He was the guy that created space and he could actually finish. We replaced him with a soft, very quick, and no finish player.

I'm not going say Murray is a bad GM, but I definitely blame him for our struggles more than anyone else.

I don't think Maclean has been very good, but he's not the problem or the cause of it.

PhoenyX

Dec 13, 2009
Toronto
Maclean does our special teams and we are an improvement over last year in that department. Our PP sucks, but it sucked last year too. Our PK is 1st in the league, which is a big improvement over last year.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Maclean does our special teams and we are an improvement over last year in that department. Our PP sucks, but it sucked last year too. Our PK is 1st in the league, which is a big improvement over last year.

I thought Yawney did the PK?

Our PK is better, but our PP isn't. It's worse than it was in the playoffs, and on par with last year's regular season.

PhoenyX

Dec 13, 2009
Toronto
Maybe Yawney does do the PK. I just assumed Maclean did both the PK and PP. Does anyone know for sure?

If Maclean's only job is the PP then, yeah, he's doing a crappy job so far.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I don't agree that our PP is as bad as it was last year. IMO they've shown some encouraging signs recently (more than just scoring lucky goals too)

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
His Ottawa teams were well known for bleeding chances at an alarming rate and wouldn't you know the current ducks are ooooozing scoring chances against. I personally think gmbm is a mediocre GM. He can't judge players ( hagelin,bieksa) and he can't read a coach (yawney,PM) so for all the credit he got building this team he has equally set back the team. Honestly outside of drafting what has he done well? Twins were inherited and kesler was gift wrapped. I realize I went from coaching to GM in this parapgraph but is PM the problem?

He got a budget team to WCF

PS
also - what Exit Dose said

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I don't agree that our PP is as bad as it was last year. IMO they've shown some encouraging signs recently (more than just scoring lucky goals too)

Agreed. They're better against a passive PK, but have actually looked competent. They're actually up to 13%, which is impressive with where it was.

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA
Thread title "Is MacLean problem", opening post is 1/4 actually about MacLean. :facepalm:

MacLean is the dude with the mustache, right? I don't think his paygrade or his title means he deserves any blame.

BB and BM were to fix the PP. or, maybe even take this team to a SC appearance.

Not MacLean. He wasn't the missing piece of the puzzle that was brought in to save the franchise.

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
Mac and Bruce seem to do alot of talking on the bench during the games... I doubt it's regarding In N Out (I could be wrong!). My guess is he has quite a bit more input on this team than just the PP.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Is this Maclean's fault? No. I expected him to improve our PP, but this year's struggles are fall from his fault.

I blame the GM more than anyone. We had a team that was 1 win away from a cup (yes I believe we beat the Bolts). That's not a team you move big pieces from. The decision to give Bieksa almost the same coin as Beauchemin was beyond stupid. I can't fathom what the actual **** Murray was thinking when he made that decision. And no, I don't believe $$ was the issue. I think he thought Bieksa was better than this, despite him not being good for some time now.

I also think that it was beyond stupid to not replace one of our best finishers on the team. We already lack them, and he let Beleskey walk and replaced him with another Cogliano. That's just asinine.

I blame Bruce for not getting more out of Perry and Getzlaf. Kesler to an extent, but like I said in the offseason, Beleskey is a big loss for that group. He was the guy that created space and he could actually finish. We replaced him with a soft, very quick, and no finish player.

I'm not going say Murray is a bad GM, but I definitely blame him for our struggles more than anyone else.

I don't think Maclean has been very good, but he's not the problem or the cause of it.

I agree with this 1,000%. Yes, Bob has made some good deals in the past. But, the last two years when we got damn close to winning it all, his performance has been as poor or poorer as the players or the coaches in game 7s.

GMs are harder to evaluate because it requires more of a big picture view than any specific stretch of games where you can criticize players or coaches. But looking back over the last two years Bob has been as big a failure as anybody drawing a paycheck from the Ducks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad