Is Patrick Roy remembered more as a Canadien or as a Avalanche?

what do you think?

• Total voters

Weast

May 16, 2011
Canadiens for me. With the Avs he was a star among stars. With the Canadiens he was the star. Obviously I'm old enough to remember him with the Habs. People that are younger will associate him more with the Avs.
I kinda think thats why he will be remember as an Avalanche, because he was a part of that star studded team.
The 1990/2000 Avs/Wings rivalry was legendary, and he was a huge part of that.

He was part part of the Sakic/Forsberg era which I think threw him in the forefront of hockey fans, compared to being the 1 good thing on that Canadiens team

Reactions: slapKing and Voight

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
It depends on your age. The Over/Under here is probably around age 35-40. No one older would ever say anything but Habs. Younger and you start to lack first-hand memories of his achievements in Montreal. Mine date to his rookie and Stanley Cup season in 1985-86. If you're, say, age 25, then how can it be anything but the Avalanche?

Reactions: slapKing

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Habs and by a fair margin in the end. Find it odd that more people have voted for Colorado but maybe because they are young? Dude was and is still known as St.Patrick in Montreal and he almost single handedly won the team Cups in 86 and 93. He WAS the Habs for so many years unlike in Colorado where they had as big or bigger names like Sakic, Forsberg, etc.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Im 34.
I remember him most as a Av
But after Doug Gilmour was traded when I was a child.
I was crushed, I literally quit playing hockey. I stopped watching the Leafs
and I didn't get my love for the game back until 02 Olympics: Joe Sakic.
Man he was so good it got back into watching every Leafs game.
I'm a Leafs fan first but if it wasn't for Sakic I don't know if I would have ever found my love for the game
so for me being an odd 34 year old.
I also traded Sundin for Sakic every year in Franchise Mode lol
Roy on the Avs for me lol

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
As someone who saw him play for both teams, I voted Avs. It took some time before I started thinking of him more as an Avalanche than a Canadien, but eventually his legacy as an Av loomed larger to me. Helps that I really dislike both Roy and the Avs (predating the Wild's existence), while I kinda like the Habs. It just syncs up better for me, I guess, having him as an Av.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Saw him play for both and while he won most of his awards in Montreal, I feel like his time with the Avs is remembered better. Everything from the brawl, to his jump for joy in 2001 the second the Avs won the cup (pure happiness for Bourque)... as well as the Roenick jab.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Habs.

He WAS the Habs.

Guy Lafleur retired mid-season during Roy's rookie year. They weren't supposed to be anywhere close to a cup.
This Raw Rookie takes them to a cup, on a team that had no business winning.

THEN he takes them to the finals 4 years later on a team that had no business winning.

THEN He wins them another cup in 93 against the greatest player of all.

His wins on the Avalanche were ok, but I mean.. they were so stupidly stacked, they probably could have won at least one without him.

I mean, I assume a few people who started watching hockey after 2001, think Dominik Hasek is remembered as a Wing.

Not a chance.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Not a chance.
I'm not suggesting Craig Billington or Marc Denis would have brought them to a cup. But the goalie they got from the Lindros trade might have been able to (Ron Hextall).

Also, considering how much money they had, they could have landed a legitimate Starter by gutting a smaller market team for Bill Ranford, Beezer, or CuJo.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
As previously stated, it's his accomplishments with the Canadiens that launched him to living legend status.

I was born in '88 and don't remember a damn thing about hockey pre-1993 and most of my memories of Roy were in Colorado - especially those Colorado/Detroit playoff series. But even then, I remember watching that fateful last game as a Canadien against the Red Wings with my grandfather, and it'll always be a part of my consciousness.

I think if you're older and got to watch the early part of his career, or if you're a Habs fan, Roy will always be a Montreal Canadien for you. It's also so baked into the culture here, that every name and number hanging in the rafters, will always be part of the team's storied heritage. In a place like Montreal, he is not just a hockey great, but a cultural icon.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I'm not suggesting Craig Billington or Marc Denis would have brought them to a cup. But the goalie they got from the Lindros trade might have been able to (Ron Hextall).

Also, considering how much money they had, they could have landed a legitimate Starter by gutting a smaller market team for Bill Ranford, Beezer, or CuJo.

Yup. Even if they don't get Roy, it's obvious Colorado was a hunting for a big name goaltender. They knew Fiset wasn't it and that Thibault wasn't ready to backstop such a veteran team that was ready to win right away.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Definitely Montreal. He made his name as a Hab and added to his legacy in Colorado. When he won cups with the Avs it was on a stacked team that he pushed over the edge. The cups he won in Montreal only happened because of him. Easily Roy will always be a Hab first....

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
There really isn't a wrong answer but....10 straight over time winners in the playoffs to the cup that streak will most likely never be beat and Roy was leading the way on that team.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
His hockey legacy is a little bigger with the Habs than with Colorado. To use the Cooperstone analogy, I'm pretty confident he'd have Montreal's logo on his cap even if the choice wasn't up to him. So MTL gets my vote.

Now the average poster here (me included) probably saw him more in an Avs jersey, which makes sense given what seems to be the average age.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's not how you start is how you finish (if you're winning), Avs. Same reason Gaborik will always be a King to me.

Whaaaat?

He became a star with the Wild.

It’s always where they made their reputation.

Bourque finished and won with the Avs - that’s not how he’s remembered.

Gretzky was a great King but he’ll always be an Oiler first.

I get that it gets tricker with more even splits of career.

I think fondly of Chara as a Sen but objectively it’s the Bruins and I’d have to vote that way as it’s where he was Captain and earned all his hardware.

Last edited:

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
I can’t believe the results of this poll.
Look at any poll about the Habs and it is always going to be for shitting on the Habs. You can have a poll between Nick Suzuki against Graves for example on who is better and Graves would win. I wouldn't take these polls seriously. Habs don't get the props they deserve just look at these very playoffs they are just licking there chomps waiting for them to fail just so they can say "I told you so"

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Whaaaat?

He became a star with the Wild.

It’s always where they made their reputation.

Bourque finished and won with the Avs - that’s not how he’s remembered.

Gretzky was a great King but he’ll always be an Oiler first.

You're absolutely right but as a neutral fan I don't remember anything he did with the Wild, really. I definitely remember his big contributions to that cup run with the Kings though. Even if that's 'unfair'.

Gretzky is remembered as an Oiler because he never won one with the Kings. If he'd won some with the Kings, its a different story.

Bourque I will give you, but he also played his entire career with Boston so it's a bit of a different case. That said, if you asked me for my most immediate memory of Bourque, its winning the cup with the Avs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad