Is Patrick Roy remembered more as a Canadien or as a Avalanche?

what do you think?

• Total voters

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Roy could go either way:

- Remembered as an Av because it's the first Cup they ever won, they won two and he won a Conn Smythe for the second one.

- Remembered as a Hab because he won two Cups and won both Conn Smythe's.

IMO either one is right. For me, he'll always be a Hab.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I think it's pretty obviously the Avs.
He was better with Montreal but that isn't always what gets you more remembered.

With Colorado it was more recent. He did not leave on good terms with Montreal. He also coached in Colorado which further associates him with the Avs. Roy lead the Avs in their first playoff/cup run.

All of this cements him in the public consciousness much more so as an Avalanche.

If hockey had a "go in the hall of fame wearing X team's cap" like Baseball does, he would be in as Avalanche.

Over time it may shift more back to Montreal, but I think that would have happened already by now.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
You have to remember, Roy was already 30 years old when he was traded to Colorado. That's John Tavares' age right now. The main part of his career was already behind him, but he aged really well and played on those memorable Colorado teams and he was a top player there too (even winning another Smythe, and even his run in 1996 was Smythe level but Sakic was just too good), so people remember him for both.

The 1993 run was the essence of Roy's career, the signature of it all.

I compare it to Mark Messier Edmonton vs. New York. Not a perfect comparison, but they are both one of those great superstars who are remembered as having played for two teams and winning championships on both as a Top 2 or Top 3 player on both teams. But like Roy with the Habs, Messier was definitely an Oilers.

Last edited:

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Canadiens for me. With the Avs he was a star among stars. With the Canadiens he was the star. Obviously I'm old enough to remember him with the Habs. People that are younger will associate him more with the Avs.

Reactions: slapKing

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I think it's pretty obviously the Avs.
He was better with Montreal but that isn't always what gets you more remembered.

With Colorado it was more recent. He did not leave on good terms with Montreal. He also coached in Colorado which further associates him with the Avs. Roy lead the Avs in their first playoff/cup run.

All of this cements him in the public consciousness much more so as an Avalanche.

If hockey had a "go in the hall of fame wearing X team's cap" like Baseball does, he would be in as Avalanche.

Over time it may shift more back to Montreal, but I think that would have happened already by now.

This is highly unlikely, especially knowing Roy.

When his jersey got up the rafters in MTL he explicitly said : "Ce soir, je rentre chez nous" (Tonight, I come home).

He's always been very present in Quebec mediatic entourage, especially coaching the Quebec Rempart for so many years and to this day. So he's never far from MTL.

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
With Montreal:
- 10 seasons
- 2 Stanley Cups
- 2 Conn Smythes
- 3 Vezina
- 4 Jennings
- 5 All-Star team appearances

With Colorado:
- 8 seasons
- 2 Stanley Cups
- 1 Conn Smythe
- 0 Vezina
- 1 Jennings
- 1 All-Star team appearance

It's Montreal for sure.
Yup, agreed. But then again, I'm old enough to remember his rookie season when we won the cup. I guess it depends on your age.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawkman

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I remember him for the instant he switched between Hab to Avalanche:

hqdefault.jpg

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Habs.

He WAS the Habs.

Guy Lafleur retired mid-season during Roy's rookie year. They weren't supposed to be anywhere close to a cup.
This Raw Rookie takes them to a cup, on a team that had no business winning.

THEN he takes them to the finals 4 years later on a team that had no business winning.

THEN He wins them another cup in 93 against the greatest player of all.

His wins on the Avalanche were ok, but I mean.. they were so stupidly stacked, they probably could have won at least one without him.

I mean, I assume a few people who started watching hockey after 2001, think Dominik Hasek is remembered as a Wing.

Last edited:
Reactions: slapKing and Mike8

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
Objectively, pretty clearly Montreal.

He emerged as an NHLer and as a superstar in Montreal. His best seasons were in Montreal and cemented himself as one of the greatest goaltenders of all time in Montreal. He then went on to play well on a dynasty-calibre club in Colorado and it's only recency bias that would tip the scales in Colorado's end. For any memorable moment in Colorado, he had a handful in Montreal.

generalshepherd141

Jun 12, 2017
America
I understand why a bunch of people are saying the Habs here, but with the Avs, Roy was a key component of one of hockey's best rivalries EVER. Hockey in the late 90s-early 2000s was Avs v Wings, so that's why I side with the Avs here.

Yes, he obviously made a name for himself with Montreal, but when you take into consideration the legendary battles his Avs teams had with the Wings, that's why I side slightly with Colorado. It's not entirely fair, but in Montreal he carried some mediocre Habs teams whose rivalries at the time didn't carry nearly the significance of Colorado-Detroit.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
i'd say Avs

but as a Wings fan i'm pretty biased here

i'm also in my early 30s so i'm sure age is a factor as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad