Is Patrick Roy an Av or a Hab?

RECsGuy*

He is a Nordique :sarcasm:

brunetta.jpg

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
If the HHOF copied Cooperstown's enshrinement tradition, Patrick Roy would go in as a Montreal Canadien. This is not up for debate.

Threads like this and the Dats/Fedorov thread on the main board shows how very young the majority of HF's posters are. The lack of perspective is stupifying.

Wouldn't it be Roy's choice which team he was inducted from?

As for the second point, the question is actually "which team do you remember Roy as?" so Avalanche is a reasonable answer for posters under the age of 30.

Derick*

I was 5 when he was traded, so, I picture him in an Avs jersey. But he is "more" of a Hab, I think. Two cups in each, but 2 of his 3 Conn Smythes and all of his Vezinas were in Montreal.

Though, I did watch hockey before I was 5.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
I’d agree with that if he and the team hadn’t patched up everything for his jersey retirement/100th anniversary celebration. Once that happened, he became a Hab again IMO.
This. I'm frankly in disbelief that anyone still believes there's a rift between Roy & the Canadiens. It's not like the number retirement & Centennial were absent from the radar..

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I can't believe there's that many votes for the Avalanche. There must be some really young kids on this forum. I'm 31 and he was the franchise player for the Canadiens when i was growing up. He waas drafted and developped by the Montreal Canadiens, has played more games for the Canadiens, has won more individual awards while with the Canadiens...I don't really see how people can see him more as a Colorado Avalanche unless they're really young, an Avs fan, or have very short term memory.

Edit, I just read the thread and answered my own question...I feel really old now..:(

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i think i was too hasty in what i said upthread:

whether one likes it or not, the habs plain matter more as a hockey franchise. and roy was their last truly great french superstar, the last of the legendary lineage (morenz - rocket - beliveau - flower - roy) that won the most storied franchise in hockey history all 24 of its stanley cups. that has to tip the scales decisively.

by which i mean, i wonder if this is really an age thing. i am younger than 30-- i was 14 when he was traded, but i was also a big habs fan from '89 (roy became my favourite player that spring because as a canucks fan i was rooting against the flames) until they traded kirk muller.

from reading the comments about roy being remembered as an av, particularly because of the now-buried rift, it seems like it's really more a question of american fans, or better said american fans from non-traditional markets, for whom roy being an av both legitimizes expansion and signals the obsolescence of the O6.

Split down the middle for me. It's hard to call the guy a Hab when he walked out on the team and won 2 Cups elsewhere. But it's hard to call him an Av when he played less than half his career there. 50/50.

On Dec.2 1995 he swore he would never be a Hab again. Gotta respect his wishes and vote Av.

It's difficult not to identify Roy more as an Av than a Canadien because he was part of the foundation of a wildly successful franchise in a new market (The Rockies were irrelevant). Without Roy, the Avalanche obviously don't win either of their Stanley Cups, but they also don't establish themselves as Denver's flagship sports team, which they were from the day Roy arrived to the day Roy retired. While Joe Sakic was a young superstar and Peter Forsberg was on the verge of becoming one, the Avalanche didn't really acquire credibility as a legitimate Cup contender until they traded for Roy and his 3 Vezinas and 2 Conn Smythes. In Denver, a city devoid of championships like few others, Roy's arrival and the subsequent Stanley Cup run made the fanbase explode to unimaginable heights.

it seems to be a question of how we choose to remember the last twenty years of hockey. the question of whether we remember roy as a continuation of the hundred year-long legacy of the blanc, bleu, et rouge, or as the building of a new tradition in what used to be an extremely strong non-traditional hockey market also seems to be a question of whether we will ever be able to remember this period as something other than the bettman era.

my stake in this question, as well as many of the other self-style historians of hockey in this thread, are clear. to my eyes, by any objective standard, roy's achievements unmistakably make him a hab at the end of the day. it's not even a debate, there is no 50/50. but because we are talking about memory and the writing of history here, there is no such thing as a definitively objective answer and this turns out to be a really interesting and revealing question about whose NHL this really is going forward.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Good point, Vadim. The Avs and Red Wings were the two glamor teams from the Western Conference, at least in the US, and got significantly more TV exposure than any other teams in the US during the dead puck era, with the exception of when the Rangers were briefly good and Mario was actually playing in Pittsburgh.

I watched more Avs and Red Wings games than any team outside the Atlantic Division, because they were the hyped (and aired) teams.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto

Wouldn't it be Roy's choice which team he was inducted from?

It would have been until 2005, when Wade Boggs tried to enter the Hall as a Tampa Bay Devil Ray, despite only playing two years there at ages 40 and 41, and doing all his damage with the Red Sox and to a lesser extent Yankees. Rumour was that the Rays were paying him. I think MLB vetoed it somehow, and now players don't get to choose. Although with a close case like Roy (or Messier, or MacInnis, etc), they would probably let the guy choose.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Roy is my absolute favourite player of all time, and I've been a loyal Nords/Avs fan since I can remember. That said, Roy is a Hab, he cultivated his legacy there, and it only grew as an Avalanche. He should go in as a Hab, but I'd be pretty stoked if he went in as an Avs player.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
Never saw him play with Montreal but he is clearly a Hab

Some of you don't know what Patrick Roy means for Montreal and the province of Quebec.

I wasn't born in 86 and was too young too remember the cup of 93, but when I think about those two Stanley Cup wins, I associate them with Roy instantly.

He started playing at a time where the Habs all-time greats began to retire. He was the idol of pretty much every kid borned between 1970 and 1985 in Quebec. Him and Guy Carbonneau are the only guys who played for the Habs in the 90's and the 00's (if that's how it's called:)) to get the legendary status.

He is still often in the news also. He is coaching the second most important team of the province and you often hear rumors that he might coach the Habs someday.

By the way, at his jersey retirement ceremony, he said : "I'm coming home".

Definatly a Hab

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
It would have been until 2005, when Wade Boggs tried to enter the Hall as a Tampa Bay Devil Ray, despite only playing two years there at ages 40 and 41, and doing all his damage with the Red Sox and to a lesser extent Yankees. Rumour was that the Rays were paying him. I think MLB vetoed it somehow, and now players don't get to choose. Although with a close case like Roy (or Messier, or MacInnis, etc), they would probably let the guy choose.

Shows how much I follow baseball anymore.

Moridin

Apr 8, 2007
While he did more for the Habs... He was more imporant for the Avs... And with the way he was kicked out of Montreal, they don't deserve to get to call him a Hab.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Vezinas - Habs 3, Avs 0
1st team all stars - Habs 3, Avs 1
2nd team all stars - Habs 2, Avs 0
Jennings - Habs 3, Avs 0
Conns - Habs 2, Avs 1
Cups - Habs 2, Avs 2
All Star Games - Habs 6, Avs 5

Pretty clear, he had the bulk of his accomplishments as a Hab.

The only reason he had the bulk of his accomplishments as a Hab it's because the Habs were not a very good team back then compare to the Avs, so Roy stood out more as a Hab.

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London
It happened before that - Dave Winfield basically sold his Hall of Fame cap to the highest bidder (since he wasn't going in as a Yankee in a billion years). After that the HOF changed it.

Boggs was just notable because he had a clause in a contract with the Devil Rays that could not be fulfilled due to the Hall of Fame's change.

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
The only reason he had the bulk of his accomplishments as a Hab it's because the Habs were not a very good team back then compare to the Avs, so Roy stood out more as a Hab.

Plus a guy named Dominik just dominating at the time Roy was a Hab.

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London
Saying Roy was an Av is like saying Roger Clemens was a Yankee. I can see how people think that, but it doesn't really stand up to the evidence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad